The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

General music discussion.
ArmagideonTim
Dirty Punk

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by ArmagideonTim »

Fun with guitars, back before Sonic Youth were dull.

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

When Heartbeat City was released I started to lose interest in The Cars, but loved the last track. I remember my copy of the LP listed the song as "Jacki"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

daredevil wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 1:51pm
When Heartbeat City was released I started to lose interest in The Cars, but loved the last track. I remember my copy of the LP listed the song as "Jacki"
I loved that album something fierce back in the day, but it hasn't aged well unfortunately. I pestered the owner of my my local record store, a Sam the Record <an, and he eventually gave me the store's giant promo poster for the album.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Funny pre song chat.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 2:53pm
daredevil wrote:
I loved that album something fierce back in the day, but it hasn't aged well unfortunately. I pestered the owner of my my local record store, a Sam the Record <an, and he eventually gave me the store's giant promo poster for the album.
Hello,

I loved the Sam the Record Man shop in Montreal. There was probably more than one but I recall the one I used to visit on treks to Montreal. I'm guessing Sam passed away a few years ago.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 3:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 2:53pm
daredevil wrote:
Hello,
Hello again. :shifty:
I loved the Sam the Record Man shop in Montreal. There was probably more than one but I recall the one I used to visit on treks to Montreal. I'm guessing Sam passed away a few years ago.
According to Wikipedia, the franchise officially went splat in 2007, but there's an independent store here in Ontario that has kept the name. One thing I liked about my Sam was that, while he only stocked Top 40 and country (given the customer base in a small town), he was always happy to do special orders. He couldn't get in imports, but he was the guy who ordered in for me PiL's Second Edition once I started getting more adventurous.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

laxman wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 3:18pm

Funny pre song chat.
Oh, aye. Screamingly funny. And to top it off a killer version of one of BAD's greatest songs. I've sent this vid to many peeps over the last couple years. What a (seemingly) effortless performance Mick gives...
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

My what a corny but heart-in-the-right-place video (especially for '91). And one of Johnny Marr's best post-Smiths tunes—his guitar is especially identifiable.

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Mar 2020, 7:11pm

My what a corny but heart-in-the-right-place video (especially for '91). And one of Johnny Marr's best post-Smiths tunes—his guitar is especially identifiable.
I like Billy Bragg's music. Loved his first four albums, especially Talking to the Taxman. Worlers Playtime was good but imo Don't Try This At Home was his peak with a full band on most of the tracks. Sexuality is great, that one got a lot of airplay on alternative stations and college radio.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

I remember seeing this video on MTV back when they used to play music videos. How did that model go to hell? Anyway I recall thinking the same as you.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
08 Mar 2020, 8:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I remember seeing this video on MTV back when they used to play music videos. How did that model go to hell? Anyway I recall thinking the same as you.
I blame Generation Hoy. Because of the timing and convenience of blaming Hoy (or Flex or Kory).

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Mar 2020, 8:29pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I blame Generation Hoy. Because of the timing and convenience of blaming Hoy (or Flex or Kory).
Just curious, I don't recognize a (famous?) model in the video, Which one is it?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

daredevil wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 12:48am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Just curious, I don't recognize a (famous?) model in the video, Which one is it?
I made that mistake at first, too, and was going to break some long overdue bad news to revbob about Kirsty MacColl. But he was talking about MTV's programming model—going from playing music videos to whatever the hell it does now.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Man, but I loves me this album.

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 6:25am
daredevil wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 12:48am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I made that mistake at first, too, and was going to break some long overdue bad news to revbob about Kirsty MacColl. But he was talking about MTV's programming model—going from playing music videos to whatever the hell it does now.
Thanks for the clarification. Kirsty (RIP) was the only person (besides Mr. Bragg) I recognized.