The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

General music discussion.
gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by gkbill »

revbob wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 9:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 1:01pm
Marky Dread wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 12:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 11:31am
Marky Dread wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 10:57am

Okay then if I get all the cats released do I at least get to keep three of the wives? I mean a little something to sweeten the deal.
Provided the women agree and you make sure the cats find homes, I think we have basis for an agreement. The sacks can be sent to Mr. Heston to store super noodles.
I think those sacks can be used to put KISS fans in. Which is kinda ironic as with those musical crimes they belong in a prison making sacks.
But how many of you lusted in your heart ?
Hello,

The night is young!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 11:26pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 11:31am

Provided the women agree and you make sure the cats find homes, I think we have basis for an agreement. The sacks can be sent to Mr. Heston to store super noodles.
I think those sacks can be used to put KISS fans in. Which is kinda ironic as with those musical crimes they belong in a prison making sacks.
Hello,

The night is young!
Getting late for me on a thirsty Thursday

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 10:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 10:27pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

You mean today?
Of those 3 only Carter is still theoretically capable.

But I was referring to you and Marky.
My answer remains the same.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kate Jackson is such a goddamned charismatic singer. Still love the Long Blondes after all these years.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I've rediscovered this in the past couple days and it's glued itself to my consciousness.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Mar 2022, 4:45pm
Buzzcocks & Pete Shelley rock it!
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Sparky wrote:
08 Mar 2022, 5:48pm
Marky Dread wrote:
08 Mar 2022, 4:45pm
Buzzcocks & Pete Shelley rock it!
😎

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

revbob wrote:
09 Mar 2022, 8:05pm
Just got around to listening to snippets of this entire album and I bought a digital download copy of it. Love it!
This one is probably my favorite on the album thus far.

God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

With the new FF best-of just out, I've revisited their first album. Jesus Christ, tho, how goddamned good is "Take Me Out"? These strange, martial sections bouncing around, and it all sounds so "constructed." That is, not jammed or grooved, but well thought out, probably heavily argued over. It's something created by people with a deep knowledge of pop music. I wish I had the vocabulary to properly express it, but this just sounds a forceful statement about … something.

edit: Coincidentally, the Guardian just put out a short piece on the song: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/ ... ow-we-made

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 4:28pm

With the new FF best-of just out, I've revisited their first album. Jesus Christ, tho, how goddamned good is "Take Me Out"? These strange, martial sections bouncing around, and it all sounds so "constructed." That is, not jammed or grooved, but well thought out, probably heavily argued over. It's something created by people with a deep knowledge of pop music. I wish I had the vocabulary to properly express it, but this just sounds a forceful statement about … something.

edit: Coincidentally, the Guardian just put out a short piece on the song: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/ ... ow-we-made
Great pop/rock song. Those hammer-like chords never fail to get me stomping along every time. From memory that is their stand out by a long way, a couple more decent but overall i wanted them to be better. Got distinct Skids vibes, but comparison doesn't do them any favours.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 10:45am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Great pop/rock song. Those hammer-like chords never fail to get me stomping along every time. From memory that is their stand out by a long way, a couple more decent but overall i wanted them to be better. Got distinct Skids vibes, but comparison doesn't do them any favours.
I also really liked "40 ft" off the first album. Had that similar martial beat and air of menace to it. I think that's what resonated with me. They reminded me of Wire in tone, that there's a wry intelligence and almost malevolence at work. The musical approach is different, of course, but it's that dark and icy knowingness that coats it all.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 11:14am
Low Down Low wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 10:45am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I also really liked "40 ft" off the first album. Had that similar martial beat and air of menace to it. I think that's what resonated with me. They reminded me of Wire in tone, that there's a wry intelligence and almost malevolence at work. The musical approach is different, of course, but it's that dark and icy knowingness that coats it all.
Its definitely worth a revisit. "Air of menace" is a good description of Take Me out, another i recall is Dark of the Matinee, but not in the same class for me. I remember they came along at a time of so-called revival for guitar rock, with Kings of Leon, Bloc Party, Killers etc. I'd say FF were marginally the pick of the bunch.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 11:33am
I remember they came along at a time of so-called revival for guitar rock, with Kings of Leon, Bloc Party, Killers etc. I'd say FF were marginally the pick of the bunch.
FF and Bloc Party both got tagged as Gang of Four heirs. I think that made a bit more sense with BP. It was a pretty sweet time for us old fuckers who fetishized post-punk. Like finding a bunch of unreleased records from 1980.