The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 49576
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by Marky Dread »

Sparky wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 8:51pm
Heston wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 8:11pm
Ah man, how good were The Jam here? Wired brilliance, and Running On the Spot is one of my favourite lyrics of all time.

Have to agree with Heston, The Jam were and still are one of my favorites. Nice find on the video, that guys YouTube channel has a lot of very rare Jam videos I've never seen. I'm going to be busy watching some of them tomorrow.
The Spil Op performance has been officially released in full on The Gift super deluxe box set. Great stuff!
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 16757
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by Silent Majority »

I'd never seen this video before, you can see why Hollywood came knocking for Gondry, each new cut has an unexpected, inventive twist. The song's my absolute favourite thing Noel's ever done.

Last edited by Silent Majority on 27 Feb 2021, 12:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wave bye bye to the boss
It's our profit, it's his loss


www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 49576
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by Marky Dread »

tepista wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 2:14pm
#1 single in UK, topped at #96 in the U.S. (1975)

Great track tep. The album before called "Psychomodo" is my fave Cockney Rebel. You can hear clearly that the young John Lydon was a fan. Lydon even stole the "Destroy" ending for "Anarchy in the U K." from that album.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 49576
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 12:25pm
I'd never seen this video before, you can see why Hollywood came knocking for Gondry, each new cut has an unexpected, inventive twist. The song's my absolute favourite thing Noel's ever done.

Updated version of Tomorrow Never Knows.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 16757
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by Silent Majority »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 12:29pm
Silent Majority wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 12:25pm
I'd never seen this video before, you can see why Hollywood came knocking for Gondry, each new cut has an unexpected, inventive twist. The song's my absolute favourite thing Noel's ever done.

Updated version of Tomorrow Never Knows.
It is that.
Wave bye bye to the boss
It's our profit, it's his loss


www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 16757
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by Silent Majority »

While I'm here - this group's almost embarrassingly designed to appeal to me.

Wave bye bye to the boss
It's our profit, it's his loss


www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 36105
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by Heston »

tepista wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 2:14pm
#1 single in UK, topped at #96 in the U.S. (1975)

Judy Teen was better.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 94277
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 12:30pm
Marky Dread wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 12:29pm
Silent Majority wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 12:25pm
I'd never seen this video before, you can see why Hollywood came knocking for Gondry, each new cut has an unexpected, inventive twist. The song's my absolute favourite thing Noel's ever done.

Updated version of Tomorrow Never Knows.
It is that.
Which is why it's the only Chemical Brothers song I've heard that really caught my ear.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

tepista
User avatar
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf
Posts: 35700
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 11:25am
Location: Livin on a fault line, Waiting on the big one

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by tepista »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 12:27pm
tepista wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 2:14pm
#1 single in UK, topped at #96 in the U.S. (1975)

Great track tep. The album before called "Psychomodo" is my fave Cockney Rebel. You can hear clearly that the young John Lydon was a fan. Lydon even stole the "Destroy" ending for "Anarchy in the U K." from that album.
I'm slightly annoyed I'd only heard it twice in my life. Chris Carter's British Invasion played it about 6 months ago and I meant to look it up but forgot. The 2nd time I remembered.
Heston wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 12:37pm
Judy Teen was better.
Well that reminds of the kinks! Vocally, at least
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Kimmelweck
User avatar
Junco Partner
Posts: 317
Joined: 06 Oct 2020, 3:47pm
Location: WNY

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by Kimmelweck »

I get a kind of early Police vibe from this song, from 1979 or 80 from what I can tell. I really like it but know nothing about this band other than that they were apparently from Nottingham.

Jackrabbits. I love them…big ears and big back feet. Jackrabbits man…they’re happenin’. – Mick Jones

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 49576
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by Marky Dread »

Kimmelweck wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 1:46pm
I get a kind of early Police vibe from this song, from 1979 or 80 from what I can tell. I really like it but know nothing about this band other than that they were apparently from Nottingham.

Local band made one single only as far as I can tell. Not bad is a little Police like.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

laxman
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 2908
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 6:05pm

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 1:55pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 1:46pm
I get a kind of early Police vibe from this song, from 1979 or 80 from what I can tell. I really like it but know nothing about this band other than that they were apparently from Nottingham.

Local band made one single only as far as I can tell. Not bad is a little Police like.
Thanks, hadn't heard that before. Definitely agree about the Police vibe.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 49576
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by Marky Dread »

tepista wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 12:44pm
Marky Dread wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 12:27pm
tepista wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 2:14pm
#1 single in UK, topped at #96 in the U.S. (1975)

Great track tep. The album before called "Psychomodo" is my fave Cockney Rebel. You can hear clearly that the young John Lydon was a fan. Lydon even stole the "Destroy" ending for "Anarchy in the U K." from that album.
I'm slightly annoyed I'd only heard it twice in my life. Chris Carter's British Invasion played it about 6 months ago and I meant to look it up but forgot. The 2nd time I remembered.
Heston wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 12:37pm
Judy Teen was better.
Well that reminds of the kinks! Vocally, at least
My fave Cockney Rebel track. Check it out tep. Sits somewhere between Roxy and Bowie.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

daredevil
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4822
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 6:35pm

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by daredevil »

Silent Majority wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 12:30pm
Marky Dread wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 12:29pm
Silent Majority wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 12:25pm
I'd never seen this video before, you can see why Hollywood came knocking for Gondry, each new cut has an unexpected, inventive twist. The song's my absolute favourite thing Noel's ever done.

Updated version of Tomorrow Never Knows.
It is that.
Love this song from the excellent album "Surrender". I saw this great video on either VH1 or Rage when the album was released.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 94277
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Just popped in my brain box:


Satire or not, it's still stupid fun.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Post Reply