Alternate versions of songs better than popular versions?

General music discussion.
CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Alternate versions of songs better than popular versions?

Post by CorwoodRep »

Thought this would be a cool playlist idea. Alternate versions of songs by the same artist that are so much better than the popular versions as to be noteworthy - demos, different arrangements, live, whatever.

A couple that spring to mind immediately:
-the live version of Every Day I Write The Book from the 2003 Punch The Clock remaster.
-the live version of Empire Ants from the new Gorillaz album that's posted over on The Network from that London soundboard
-technically it's not that comparable, but I still think the Black Hawk Down version of Minstrel Boy is a billion times more enjoyable to listen to than the long version
-pretty much any live version of Hallelujah by Cohen. God, I can't stand the studio version.

Any suggestions?
Last edited by CorwoodRep on 25 May 2010, 8:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Alternate versions of songs better than popular versions?

Post by Heston »

Great idea BJ, I'll have a think.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

The Peel Session version of Bed and Breakfast Man by Madness tramples on the LP version.

Ditto the alt. take of That's Entertainment on the Jam Box Set.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Pretty much any live version of "Pink Flag" that Wire has recorded, in studio and live, since 2000 is better than the original.

The version of "This Charming Man" off Hatful of Hollow is bouncier, more fun than the single/album version off The Smiths.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Greetings To the New Brunette by Billy Bragg is a great song. But the alternate version with Johnny Marr on guitar is even better.
Parklife by Blur on the Live at Hyde Park is much better than the original.

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

And two by Warren Zevon:
-Seminole Bingo on Letterman. Much better arrangement, salvages a great song from a really shittily recorded/arranged album
-Mutineer on Letterman, for exactly the same reason, and the vocals are a lot more heartfelt given the circumstances.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Modern Lovers "Roadrunner" Beserkly Chartbusters version.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The Beatles video version of "Revolution" has the bite of the single version with the shoo-be-do-wops of "Revolution 1." Best of both versions.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

In the vein of Minstrel Boy:

The under 3 minute single version of "Inna Gadda Da Vita." All the awesome riffage, none of the endless soloing.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:The Beatles video version of "Revolution" has the bite of the single version with the shoo-be-do-wops of "Revolution 1." Best of both versions.
I prefer Rev1
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:The Beatles video version of "Revolution" has the bite of the single version with the shoo-be-do-wops of "Revolution 1." Best of both versions.
I prefer Rev1
I don't dislike it by any means, but it works better electrified and nasty. As one Beatles biographer said, if the lyrics were ambivalent—count me in/out—the electric version sounded like a vote for revolution.

Suzanne H.
The Cheese

Post by Suzanne H. »

The demo version of 'Bye Bye Badman' by the Stone Roses is interesting...no bass or drums, just John Squire's lovely guitar.

Also, the live Glastonbury '09 version of Blur's 'End Of The Century', mostly cos it is a brilliant display of Alex James' often-hidden bass playing skills. And since I want Alex very badly, this appeals to me... :mrgreen:

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

That weird alternate Dutch version of "This is England" that only I like. :shifty:
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Oh, and the live version of "Folsom Prison Blues" from San Quentin with Carl Perkins on guitar.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The original, pre-Gillian 7" version of "Ceremony" is much better than the re-recorded, more commonly played 12" version.