matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: Hey, remember Rancid?

Post by matedog »

Silent Majority wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 2:44pm
matedog wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 2:00pm
I very much enjoy the Life Won't Wait ballads at least from a musical standpoint. However, it's hard to reconcile with the fact that it's a 30 year old singing about a 16 year old girl.
In the spirit of rockabilly.
Yeah, that reminds me of similar discussions we've had here and norms of the time. Then again late 90s were not the 50s. Also, you could easily speculate about Tim's controlling nature of her career. I don't know there is anything beyond speculation, but it's pretty easy.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 4:57pm
Silent Majority wrote:
matedog wrote:
I very much enjoy the Life Won't Wait ballads at least from a musical standpoint. However, it's hard to reconcile with the fact that it's a 30 year old singing about a 16 year old girl.
Yeah, that reminds me of similar discussions we've had here and norms of the time. Then again late 90s were not the 50s. Also, you could easily speculate about Tim's controlling nature of her career. I don't know there is anything beyond speculation, but it's pretty easy.
What's the background here, I haven't heard of this stuff.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 5:21pm
matedog wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
matedog wrote:
Tim Armstrong met Brody Dalle when she was 16 and he was 30. They got married right when she turned 18, so fill in the blanks. There's allegations both ways, but her Distillers stuff is on his label, in his aesthetic and style which feels weird given their age difference and his prominence/power. She left him for Josh Homme after a few years.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 7:07pm
Kory wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 5:21pm
matedog wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
matedog wrote:
Tim Armstrong met Brody Dalle when she was 16 and he was 30. They got married right when she turned 18, so fill in the blanks. There's allegations both ways, but her Distillers stuff is on his label, in his aesthetic and style which feels weird given their age difference and his prominence/power. She left him for Josh Homme after a few years.
Huh, I just thought she was a poser, I didn't know all this backstory.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Brody rules
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 7:29pm
Brody rules
Agreed.

And I was driving around earlier running an errand blasting "And Out Come the Wolves".

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

tepista wrote:
03 Feb 2022, 11:24am
Hello,

Ruby is a good wrestler/sports entertainer. She's not going to headline any big shows but she's good and dedicated - great to watch. It was really nice of Rancid to allow her to use Ruby Soho as her entrance music. Good on both of them (please forgive the excessive use of "good").

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
03 Feb 2022, 1:00pm
tepista wrote:
Hello,

Ruby is a good wrestler/sports entertainer. She's not going to headline any big shows but she's good and dedicated - great to watch. It was really nice of Rancid to allow her to use Ruby Soho as her entrance music. Good on both of them (please forgive the excessive use of "good").
Dont worry about you're good.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

gkbill wrote:
03 Feb 2022, 1:00pm
tepista wrote:
Hello,

I'd like AEW to show 2 women's matches per episode instead of one. It's like the division moves in slow motion.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Mark^Bastard
Sightsee MC

Post by Mark^Bastard »

I was the one that leaked the Life Won't Wait demo to the Internet back in around 2003/2004. It was given out privately to a few people I trusted and then one of them fucked me over. It was funny to learn that later it was even pressed on vinyl! Give I ripped it from a tape using a walkman to the line-in of my shitty soundcard and I think even used dolby noise reduction on the walkman.

I still have the tape somewhere. I got it from a friend of Brodys that used to be in a band with her before the Distillers.

I remember it being my 'educated opinion' that Side B was the Silencers and everyone copied that assumption but in hindsight it makes no sense as they were a vanity band and Vic Ruggiero was on Life Wont Wait anyway.

If I find the tape again I will see if I can buy a decent tape deck and rip it better.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Mark^Bastard wrote:
03 Feb 2022, 9:30pm
I was the one that leaked the Life Won't Wait demo to the Internet back in around 2003/2004. It was given out privately to a few people I trusted and then one of them fucked me over. It was funny to learn that later it was even pressed on vinyl! Give I ripped it from a tape using a walkman to the line-in of my shitty soundcard and I think even used dolby noise reduction on the walkman.

I still have the tape somewhere. I got it from a friend of Brodys that used to be in a band with her before the Distillers.

I remember it being my 'educated opinion' that Side B was the Silencers and everyone copied that assumption but in hindsight it makes no sense as they were a vanity band and Vic Ruggiero was on Life Wont Wait anyway.

If I find the tape again I will see if I can buy a decent tape deck and rip it better.
Do tell.

Mark^Bastard
Sightsee MC

Post by Mark^Bastard »

revbob wrote:
03 Feb 2022, 9:43pm
Mark^Bastard wrote:
03 Feb 2022, 9:30pm

Do tell.
https://www.discogs.com/release/6391185 ... o-Sessions

Thats the vinyl

Prick should have sent me the first copy. Guess some asshole will press Markys Rat Patrol too

Mark^Bastard
Sightsee MC

Post by Mark^Bastard »

A little bit of early Lint in a sort of Guthrie style

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Fuckin' LOL

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop