motorsmell
Junco Partner

Re: Hey, remember Rancid?

Post by motorsmell »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Jun 2023, 4:52pm
motorsmell wrote:
07 Jun 2023, 4:51pm
Got the new LP and it's decent enough, Life won't wait and rancid 2000 always my favorites apart from the first LP...out come the wolves is just a reminder of when punk became trendy "again"...I remember meeting Tim years ago in the rock city nightclub after they played and asked him to sign a playing card (all we had on us) and under his name asked to wright "cunt" not I a horrible way but we just thought it would be funny...his bodyguard make quick work of us!
Haha great story.
Later that same night we devised a plan to nick a pint...I kept the lonely bar tender occupied at one end of the bar and may mate Al sneaked around and started pouring some pints...the plan went to shit when the bar tender caught a glimpse of Al in the corner of his eye...Al was then chased around the club by bouncers and given a kicking untill I demanded to know where he had gone....I was taken in to a back room to see Al between 2 big Lairy bouncers who demanded I pay for his stolen pint...and the price? £20! I paid and was kicked out as the screams of Al getting a proper pasting echoed through the club...Rock city....H.A....dont fuck about...
Last edited by motorsmell on 07 Jun 2023, 5:21pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Awesome stories, motorsmell
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

motorsmell wrote:
07 Jun 2023, 5:19pm
Marky Dread wrote:
07 Jun 2023, 4:52pm
motorsmell wrote:
07 Jun 2023, 4:51pm
Got the new LP and it's decent enough, Life won't wait and rancid 2000 always my favorites apart from the first LP...out come the wolves is just a reminder of when punk became trendy "again"...I remember meeting Tim years ago in the rock city nightclub after they played and asked him to sign a playing card (all we had on us) and under his name asked to wright "cunt" not I a horrible way but we just thought it would be funny...his bodyguard make quick work of us!
Haha great story.
Later that same night we devised a plan to nick a pint...I kept the lonely bar tender occupied at one end of the bar and may mate Al sneaked around and started pouring some pints...the plan went to shit when the bar tender caught a glimpse of Al in the corner of his eye...Al was then chased around the club by bouncers and given a kicking untill I demanded to know where he had gone....I was taken in to a back room to see Al between 2 big Lairy bouncers who demanded I pay for his stolen pint...and the price? £20! I paid and was kicked out as the screams of Al getting a proper pasting echoed through the club...Rock city....H.A....dont fuck about...
🤣 fucking bouncers! Big big monkey men.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Mark^Bastard
Sightsee MC

Post by Mark^Bastard »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Jun 2023, 5:01am
johnny2bad wrote:
07 Jun 2023, 4:37am
Pretty interesting to notice how rancid are scrutinized/criticized in quite the same way the Clash/Joe have been: filler, millionaire, xerox Clash etc, completely setting aside (if not canceling) 1) the sheer integrity of Tim & co. (instead of a comfort ska/pop punk autopilot, they issued now an hardcore punk record) 2) the astonishing average level of their outcome along the years 3) the band musical palette (check their side project) 4) the blasting, second to none, live acts (seen them last time one week ago, thermonuclear blast as usual) 5) the efforts in order to support other groups (interrupters, to name one). Last but not least, who signed Joe for his 1999 come back?
The Clash have been nothing but scrutinised here over the years. However The Clash unlike Rancid were not afraid of change and tried their hand at loads of different styles. No Clash album sounds like it's previous.

Rancid have loads of fans here and many enjoy their music. The criticism of them churning out the same stuff is fair I think. No one is complaining they think Rancid are not making decent music just wishing they would take more risks musically.

Their support of other bands is commendable. Joe being on Hellcat was cool but Joe could've signed to anyone really but it was great he found mutual respect.
Rancid did change their sound up a lot compared to their contemporaries for their first 5 albums (like the Clash). They lasted more than 6 years so comparing them to the Clash after that point is a little harsh. They have all experimented in their side projects as much as the Clash did (other than Lars who seems to just LARP as different subcultures including being a British dad now lmao).

What's interesting to me is whether the Clash 2 would have ended up going down the same path. Joe wanted to get back to the Clash's roots which arguably puts thek on the same path. Maybe it is a good thing that didn't pan out.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Rancid basically made the decision that they would play it conservatively musically after 2000 and may not reach many highs with their new music but also wouldn't really have (m)any lows, either. Lotta bands have long careers doing that. I don't begrudge them the decision, particularly. As you say, MB, they remained adventurous they just channeled that adventurousness into other efforts (to mixed results, imho, but that's certainly true of The Clash as well).

I'm pretty sure if the Clash tried following the Rancid playbook it would have been a disaster.

That said, I took a listen to a couple tracks off the new record and it's definitely more up my alley than their last couple. Playing your music hard, fast and loud usually overcomes not being particularly adventurous, lol.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Mark^Bastard wrote:
07 Jun 2023, 9:40pm
Marky Dread wrote:
07 Jun 2023, 5:01am
johnny2bad wrote:
07 Jun 2023, 4:37am
Pretty interesting to notice how rancid are scrutinized/criticized in quite the same way the Clash/Joe have been: filler, millionaire, xerox Clash etc, completely setting aside (if not canceling) 1) the sheer integrity of Tim & co. (instead of a comfort ska/pop punk autopilot, they issued now an hardcore punk record) 2) the astonishing average level of their outcome along the years 3) the band musical palette (check their side project) 4) the blasting, second to none, live acts (seen them last time one week ago, thermonuclear blast as usual) 5) the efforts in order to support other groups (interrupters, to name one). Last but not least, who signed Joe for his 1999 come back?
The Clash have been nothing but scrutinised here over the years. However The Clash unlike Rancid were not afraid of change and tried their hand at loads of different styles. No Clash album sounds like it's previous.

Rancid have loads of fans here and many enjoy their music. The criticism of them churning out the same stuff is fair I think. No one is complaining they think Rancid are not making decent music just wishing they would take more risks musically.

Their support of other bands is commendable. Joe being on Hellcat was cool but Joe could've signed to anyone really but it was great he found mutual respect.
Rancid did change their sound up a lot compared to their contemporaries for their first 5 albums (like the Clash). They lasted more than 6 years so comparing them to the Clash after that point is a little harsh. They have all experimented in their side projects as much as the Clash did (other than Lars who seems to just LARP as different subcultures including being a British dad now lmao).

What's interesting to me is whether the Clash 2 would have ended up going down the same path. Joe wanted to get back to the Clash's roots which arguably puts thek on the same path. Maybe it is a good thing that didn't pan out.
Not much in my opinion just punk and ska which is the tried and tested formula. It's hardly "The Clash" > "Sandinista!". It's not harsh to compare Rancid after their first 5 albums because that's the point of the whole discussion their lack of change.

They are great at what they do but it's a shame they don't try to be more adventurous even braver and take their music somewhere else. Punk is a spirit not a sound.

Tim as "Tim Timebomb" has released some great download only tracks that are Northern Soul and Country influenced and would've been great on Rancid albums.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Jun 2023, 3:21am
Tim as "Tim Timebomb" has released some great download only tracks that are Northern Soul and Country influenced and would've been great on Rancid albums.
I love this stuff and Im grateful its available.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

revbob wrote:
08 Jun 2023, 6:45am
Marky Dread wrote:
Definitely more interesting than Rancid.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Silent Majority wrote:
08 Jun 2023, 7:56am
revbob wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Yeah, I'd love to see Tim do a live show

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

revbob wrote:
08 Jun 2023, 8:23am
Silent Majority wrote:
08 Jun 2023, 7:56am
revbob wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Yeah, I'd love to see Tim do a live show
Count me in!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Spencey
Dirty Punk

Post by Spencey »

[/quote]It's hardly "The Clash" > "Sandinista!". It's not harsh to compare Rancid after their first 5 albums because that's the point of the whole discussion their lack of change.[/quote]

The evolution of Rancid over the course of those first 5 LPs totally upended the close minded punks of the day. Not one LP sounded like the next.

It's definitely harsh to compare Rancid 6-10 to The Clash 1-5

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Spencey wrote:
11 Jun 2023, 3:54pm
It's hardly "The Clash" > "Sandinista!". It's not harsh to compare Rancid after their first 5 albums because that's the point of the whole discussion their lack of change.[/quote]

The evolution of Rancid over the course of those first 5 LPs totally upended the close minded punks of the day. Not one LP sounded like the next.

It's definitely harsh to compare Rancid 6-10 to The Clash 1-5
[/quote]

Why because The Clash didn't make a further 5 albums?

Rancid 6-10 are stuck in a rut churning out the same stuff. It's really solid stuff granted but we've heard it all before. And as I mentioned further up Tim has released some great stuff that Rancid could do but it's all tried and tested formula.

"Life Won't Wait" is their bravest album musically for me.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Spencey
Dirty Punk

Post by Spencey »

Ah it's all light hearted fun but it is a bizarre comparison.

Going from this:
"The Clash unlike Rancid were not afraid of change and tried their hand at loads of different styles."

Which is entreily untrue to this:
"Rancid 6-10 are stuck in a rut churning out the same stuff"

Sounds like a moving of the goalposts, shortening the scope to make a point.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Spencey wrote:
11 Jun 2023, 5:41pm
Ah it's all light hearted fun but it is a bizarre comparison.

Going from this:
"The Clash unlike Rancid were not afraid of change and tried their hand at loads of different styles."

Which is entreily untrue to this:
"Rancid 6-10 are stuck in a rut churning out the same stuff"

Sounds like a moving of the goalposts, shortening the scope to make a point.
Well the shift of the first 5 Rancid albums are not as extreme as The Clash > Sandinista! let alone Combat Rock.

Nothing on London Calling, Sandinista! and Combat Rock sound remotely like the first two albums and they are not much alike either.

Whilst Rancid may have developed their sound it was hardly the same kind of musical risks that The Clash took. So no goalposts being moved here.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »