Hey, remember Rancid?

General music discussion.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Hey, remember Rancid?

Post by Flex »

So, to answer the question, yeah, I guess I do.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
11 Jun 2023, 6:53pm
476 hi dsxdwd :twitch: 7dyu7 xy 2

Hello

Less than and greater than.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
11 Jun 2023, 7:23pm
gkbill wrote:
11 Jun 2023, 6:53pm
476 hi dsxdwd :twitch: 7dyu7 xy 2

Hello

Less than and greater than.
Hello,

The next time I put my phone in my pocket, it will butt dial War and Peace.

Apologies to all.

Spencey
Dirty Punk

Post by Spencey »

Marky Dread wrote:
11 Jun 2023, 5:55pm
Spencey wrote:
11 Jun 2023, 5:41pm
Ah it's all light hearted fun but it is a bizarre comparison.

Going from this:
"The Clash unlike Rancid were not afraid of change and tried their hand at loads of different styles."

Which is entreily untrue to this:
"Rancid 6-10 are stuck in a rut churning out the same stuff"

Sounds like a moving of the goalposts, shortening the scope to make a point.
Well the shift of the first 5 Rancid albums are not as extreme as The Clash > Sandinista! let alone Combat Rock.

Nothing on London Calling, Sandinista! and Combat Rock sound remotely like the first two albums and they are not much alike either.

Whilst Rancid may have developed their sound it was hardly the same kind of musical risks that The Clash took. So no goalposts being moved here.
Here is how a 1-5 stacks up. If you don't believe me go have a listen.

The Clash vs Rancid
1st LP is Punk of the day. No Jamaican influences apart from the Police & Thieves cover on The Clash

Give 'em Enough Rope vs Let's Go
2nd LP both bands gain a new member that allows them to explore begin exploring different avenues along punk / rock.

White Man vs I Wanna Riot.
Prior to the next groundbreaking LPs both put out non-straight-head rock/punk singles or B-sides.

London Calling vs And Out Come The Wolves
3rd LP is when the Jamaican influences come in. Big shift in sound, execution and cemented the band as genre explorers.

Sandinista! vs Life Won't Wait
4th LP takes just explodes with various styles and world wide instrumentation, collaborations and totally broke the mould in what a punk bank could be. Fir Rancid, it's their Sandinista, which they were totally aware of given they actually sing Sandinista in one of the songs.

Combat Rock vs Rancid 2000
5th LP. The punks couldn't handle the sheer expanse of the previous record. The Clash took zero "musical risks", they developed of course but put out a safe LP by trimming it from a double to a single. Rancid however dropped everything they'd done previously and put out a straight ahead hard-core album. They'd never touched hard-core before. No big singles, nothing radio friendly.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

The Clash vs Rancid
1st LP is Punk of the day. No Jamaican influences apart from the Police & Thieves cover on The Clash

Which just happened to be completey ground breaking and the first punk reggae.

White Man vs I Wanna Riot.
Prior to the next groundbreaking LPs both put out non-straight-head rock/punk singles or B-sides.

Groundbreaking for The Clash who laid down the template for Rancid to copy.

London Calling vs And Out Come The Wolves
3rd LP is when the Jamaican influences come in. Big shift in sound, execution and cemented the band as genre explorers.

Again absolutely nothing new on ...And Out Come The Wolves. The Clash, The Ruts, Stiff Little Fingers had all been there before.

Sandinista! vs Life Won't Wait
4th LP takes just explodes with various styles and world wide instrumentation, collaborations and totally broke the mould in what a punk bank could be. Fir Rancid, it's their Sandinista, which they were totally aware of given they actually sing Sandinista in one of the songs.

I gave Rancid credit for this further up saying it's their bravest effort. Though it's not as brave or as daring as The Clash doing it first time around and truly breaking the mould. Making a triple album and selling it for under £5.00.

Combat Rock vs Rancid 2000
5th LP. The punks couldn't handle the sheer expanse of the previous record. The Clash took zero "musical risks", they developed of course but put out a safe LP by trimming it from a double to a single. Rancid however dropped everything they'd done previously and put out a straight ahead hard-core album. They'd never touched hard-core before. No big singles, nothing radio friendly.
[/quote]

Haha the punks couldn't handle it. Punks had been handling it for years long before Rancid came along. Maybe you should have put "Rancid fans" instead of "punks". Sure The Clash put out a single album but they were in huge debt to the record company especially after selling Sandinista! so cheaply. Whereas Rancid were on their way to becoming millionaires.

Straight to Hell, Ghetto Defendant, Atom Tan, Death Is a Star all hardly safe music.

I like both bands but all your analysis really shows is without The Clash doing the real groundbreaking risk taking then Rancid ain't shit.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Spencey
Dirty Punk

Post by Spencey »

You missed the point. My analysis shows Rancid changed up their sound massively. You said they were afraid to do so.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Appreciating this is a Clash board, and you'll expect me to cheer the home team, Rancid did genuinely sound like the Clash, a band of 20 years previously, whereas the Clash didn't sound like Tommy Steele or Joe Brown.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Spencey
Dirty Punk

Post by Spencey »

Silent Majority wrote:
12 Jun 2023, 5:35am
Appreciating this is a Clash board, and you'll expect me to cheer the home team, Rancid did genuinely sound like the Clash, a band of 20 years previously, whereas the Clash didn't sound like Tommy Steele or Joe Brown.
I agree with you there. I'll take Clash over Rancid but for someone to say Rancid didn't make leaps in sound in 5 years is nonsense.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Spencey wrote:
12 Jun 2023, 5:43am
Silent Majority wrote:
12 Jun 2023, 5:35am
I agree with you there. I'll take Clash over Rancid but for someone to say Rancid didn't make leaps in sound in 5 years is nonsense.
No really my original point at all. There is change in those first 5 Rancid albums. But absolutely nothing original that they were not simply doing copies of. The bravery of The Clash was huge in comparison as going from punk/glam/rock n rol/reggae/ska/jazz/r&b/soul/rap/experimental/mutant funk pop.

Now that covers albums 1-5. Cut the Crap is well....
But following on with BAD and Latino Rockabilly War then Mick and Joe were still very much into trying different sounds and then the world music of the Mescaleros with many forms.

Rancid by comparison mostly punk/reggae/ska/hardcore all tried and tested punk styles.

Now like I said further up that Tim has done some country and northern soul style stuff. I just wish that Rancid would incorporate more stuff like that on their albums. It's obvious how great they would be. As they are never a half hearted band.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Spencey
Dirty Punk

Post by Spencey »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Jun 2023, 5:01am
johnny2bad wrote:
07 Jun 2023, 4:37am
Pretty interesting to notice how rancid are scrutinized/criticized in quite the same way the Clash/Joe have been: filler, millionaire, xerox Clash etc, completely setting aside (if not canceling) 1) the sheer integrity of Tim & co. (instead of a comfort ska/pop punk autopilot, they issued now an hardcore punk record) 2) the astonishing average level of their outcome along the years 3) the band musical palette (check their side project) 4) the blasting, second to none, live acts (seen them last time one week ago, thermonuclear blast as usual) 5) the efforts in order to support other groups (interrupters, to name one). Last but not least, who signed Joe for his 1999 come back?
The Clash have been nothing but scrutinised here over the years. However The Clash unlike Rancid were not afraid of change and tried their hand at loads of different styles. No Clash album sounds like it's previous.

Rancid have loads of fans here and many enjoy their music. The criticism of them churning out the same stuff is fair I think. No one is complaining they think Rancid are not making decent music just wishing they would take more risks musically.

Their support of other bands is commendable. Joe being on Hellcat was cool but Joe could've signed to anyone really but it was great he found mutual respect.
Your point seemed to be what's highlighted in bold. Which I said wasn't true. You now say they did change during those first 5 LPs. Glad we resolved that.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Spencey wrote:
12 Jun 2023, 6:42am
Marky Dread wrote:
07 Jun 2023, 5:01am
johnny2bad wrote:
07 Jun 2023, 4:37am
Pretty interesting to notice how rancid are scrutinized/criticized in quite the same way the Clash/Joe have been: filler, millionaire, xerox Clash etc, completely setting aside (if not canceling) 1) the sheer integrity of Tim & co. (instead of a comfort ska/pop punk autopilot, they issued now an hardcore punk record) 2) the astonishing average level of their outcome along the years 3) the band musical palette (check their side project) 4) the blasting, second to none, live acts (seen them last time one week ago, thermonuclear blast as usual) 5) the efforts in order to support other groups (interrupters, to name one). Last but not least, who signed Joe for his 1999 come back?
The Clash have been nothing but scrutinised here over the years. However The Clash unlike Rancid were not afraid of change and tried their hand at loads of different styles. No Clash album sounds like it's previous.

Rancid have loads of fans here and many enjoy their music. The criticism of them churning out the same stuff is fair I think. No one is complaining they think Rancid are not making decent music just wishing they would take more risks musically.

Their support of other bands is commendable. Joe being on Hellcat was cool but Joe could've signed to anyone really but it was great he found mutual respect.
Your point seemed to be what's highlighted in bold. Which I said wasn't true. You now say they did change during those first 5 LPs. Glad we resolved that.
I'll stand by that bolded statement. As it was intended. The Clash took punk as an attitude and tried all styles unafraid to change and lose an audience. Rancid only used those already tried and tested styles with very little out of their comfort zone. They didn't do anything new.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I could actually stand to hear more post-Wolves Rancid. Spencey, what's an example of a couple of tracks which show their evolution and experimentation?
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
12 Jun 2023, 8:19am
I could actually stand to hear more post-Wolves Rancid. Spencey, what's an example of a couple of tracks which show their evolution and experimentation?
All of "Life Won't Wait" is worthy of your time if you've not heard it

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Spencey
Dirty Punk

Post by Spencey »

If the issue was the lack of originality then fair enough but the post was they were ska/punk and no variation or change which is imply not true as I've shown.

Saying a band ain't worth shit, too rich to take chances (they weren't loaded at the time) etc to now comparing them to BAD, Latino etc is super thin and clutching at straws.

Let's be done with it. Hug it out and move on. I'll open my arms first...

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Spencey wrote:
12 Jun 2023, 8:24am
Saying a band ain't worth shit, too rich to take chances
No one has said either of those things.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead