Hey, remember Rancid?

General music discussion.
Spencey
Dirty Punk

Re: Hey, remember Rancid?

Post by Spencey »

Scroll up. Without The Clash Rancid ain't shit. That's harsh and totally selling Rancid short.

The next part was paraphrased, granted, but saying The Clash weren't afraid to lose an audience while Rancid played it safe on their way to being millionaires is also harsh.

Rancid changed it up. To say otherwise would mean ears be painted on.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Spencey wrote:
12 Jun 2023, 8:24am
If the issue was the lack of originality then fair enough but the post was they were ska/punk and no variation or change which is imply not true as I've shown.

Saying a band ain't worth shit, too rich to take chances (they weren't loaded at the time) etc to now comparing them to BAD, Latino etc is super thin and clutching at straws.

Let's be done with it. Hug it out and move on. I'll open my arms first...
Think you're reading too much into what has been said and putting your own spin on it. I said Rancid wouldn't be shit without The Clash taking the risks they did. Not that Rancid were not worth shit. I think Rancid are great but they seem content churning out the same thing when they are capable of way more.

Mentioning BAD and LRW was just show that continued way they Mick/Joe musically pushed forward.

No need for a hug or to move on. Different views and opinions are what this place is all about. We disagree and that's fine.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Spencey
Dirty Punk

Post by Spencey »

All good 👍

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Spencey wrote:
12 Jun 2023, 8:37am
Scroll up. Without The Clash Rancid ain't shit. That's harsh and totally selling Rancid short.

The next part was paraphrased, granted, but saying The Clash weren't afraid to lose an audience while Rancid played it safe on their way to being millionaires is also harsh.

Rancid changed it up. To say otherwise would mean ears be painted on.
Again reading what want here.

I was making the observation from your analysis that The Clash had played it safe by releasing a single album for Combat Rock. They owed the record company money whereas with Wolves Rancid made loads of money which in turn gave them a different freedom to release their follow up which just copied what The Clash had done with Sandinista!. Life Won't Wait is great but it didn't lose the band money like The Clash had done.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I was watching one of the Jordan Peele Twilight Zone episodes last night and it had Tim in it. He got killed by an octopus.

Of all the TZ reboots Jordan Peele's was the best. A shame it was setup to fail from the get go.

modskint
Dirty Punk

Post by modskint »

I think some of you know that Lars and I had beef nearly 20 years ago over some business dealings. We got it sorted out. To make a long story short, his merch company was buying bands out from under the small band merch business I worked for and killing our income. The bands that mattered stayed with us, but he made some lucrative offers and drew away a few big names. Basically he called me up and threatened me and I laughed in his face and he called back letting me know I was gonna get an ass beating. I ran into him and his business guy in LA a year later and they didn’t say shit when I called them out on it in front of bands they tried to take. We ended up smoothing it over some beers and he’s a pretty decent dude.We got a bunch of mutual friends, so it all worked out for the better.

I think the issue I have (and if this has been brought up earlier, my apologies, I haven’t read the whole thread) is that Tim Armstrong groomed a teenager, married her, and then set out to blacklist them and destroy her career when she decided to leave him. Meanwhile, everyone rides his jock like he’s some modern Strummer/Waits. THAT’S where I have an issue with Rancid.

Music-wise, the consistency ended with AOCTW. There’s a couple songs on each of the following three records that are great. I haven’t heard the last couple records.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

modskint wrote:
11 Jul 2023, 2:40pm
I think some of you know that Lars and I had beef nearly 20 years ago over some business dealings. We got it sorted out. To make a long story short, his merch company was buying bands out from under the small band merch business I worked for and killing our income. The bands that mattered stayed with us, but he made some lucrative offers and drew away a few big names. Basically he called me up and threatened me and I laughed in his face and he called back letting me know I was gonna get an ass beating. I ran into him and his business guy in LA a year later and they didn’t say shit when I called them out on it in front of bands they tried to take. We ended up smoothing it over some beers and he’s a pretty decent dude.We got a bunch of mutual friends, so it all worked out for the better.

I think the issue I have (and if this has been brought up earlier, my apologies, I haven’t read the whole thread) is that Tim Armstrong groomed a teenager, married her, and then set out to blacklist them and destroy her career when she decided to leave him. Meanwhile, everyone rides his jock like he’s some modern Strummer/Waits. THAT’S where I have an issue with Rancid.

Music-wise, the consistency ended with AOCTW. There’s a couple songs on each of the following three records that are great. I haven’t heard the last couple records.
I remember the Lars beef, so good to hear it got straightened out. I'm not sure it changes my opinion of his business practices, but I'll drop my "lars is a piece of shit" opinion down to "I don't care about lars."
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

modskint
Dirty Punk

Post by modskint »

If you want the sweet taste of his tears, just know that his merch company tanked less than 5 years later.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

modskint wrote:
11 Jul 2023, 3:16pm
If you want the sweet taste of his tears, just know that his merch company tanked less than 5 years later.
Boom! 😀

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex

Post by Flex »

modskint wrote:
11 Jul 2023, 3:16pm
Okay, now I'm going to have a little spring in my step the rest of the day. You're so good to me, modskin.

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
11 Jul 2023, 3:03pm
modskint wrote:

I remember the Lars beef, so good to hear it got straightened out. I'm not sure it changes my opinion of his business practices, but I'll drop my "lars is a piece of shit" opinion down to "I don't care about lars."
"Never trust a lars"
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

modskint wrote:

Yeah we discussed it not too long ago: viewtopic.php?p=597570#p597570

Doesn't seem super well known.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
11 Jul 2023, 4:30pm

It sort of falls out of my skull sometimes, and I even responded the last time around. Pretty straightforwardly indefensible behavior.

Tim is skeevy as fuck. I think I've said here I also dislike that he (and the crypto-libertarian lead singer of the interrupters) made a pointed show of support when dicky barrett broke up the bosstones and came out as an anti-vax conspiracy theorist nutjob. Being a probable groomer and apologist for qanon-adjacent bullshit is enough strikes for me to think he's a piece of shit. I'll try to remember this time.

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
11 Jul 2023, 4:41pm
matedog wrote:
11 Jul 2023, 4:30pm

It sort of falls out of my skull sometimes, and I even responded the last time around. Pretty straightforwardly indefensible behavior.

Tim is skeevy as fuck. I think I've said here I also dislike that he (and the crypto-libertarian lead singer of the interrupters) made a pointed show of support when dicky barrett broke up the bosstones and came out as an anti-vax conspiracy theorist nutjob. Being a probable groomer and apologist for qanon-adjacent bullshit is enough strikes for me to think he's a piece of shit. I'll try to remember this time.
So watching TZ again and thry just played Family

Flex

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
11 Jul 2023, 8:10pm
So watching TZ again and thry just played Family
Have you watched the b&w versions of those episodes? Totally great, much better way to watch imho. Seriously underrated revival. As you said, it was doomed from the start.

Pex Lives!