Re: Hey, remember Rancid?

Post by Marky Dread »

Mark^Bastard wrote:
03 Feb 2022, 9:46pm
revbob wrote:
03 Feb 2022, 9:43pm
Mark^Bastard wrote:
03 Feb 2022, 9:30pm
I was the one that leaked the Life Won't Wait demo to the Internet back in around 2003/2004. It was given out privately to a few people I trusted and then one of them fucked me over. It was funny to learn that later it was even pressed on vinyl! Give I ripped it from a tape using a walkman to the line-in of my shitty soundcard and I think even used dolby noise reduction on the walkman.

I still have the tape somewhere. I got it from a friend of Brodys that used to be in a band with her before the Distillers.

I remember it being my 'educated opinion' that Side B was the Silencers and everyone copied that assumption but in hindsight it makes no sense as they were a vanity band and Vic Ruggiero was on Life Wont Wait anyway.

If I find the tape again I will see if I can buy a decent tape deck and rip it better.
Do tell.
https://www.discogs.com/release/6391185 ... o-Sessions

Thats the vinyl

Prick should have sent me the first copy. Guess some asshole will press Markys Rat Patrol too
I do know this much. It's hard walking to the bus stop with broken legs.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
07 Dec 2022, 11:59am
Fuckin' LOL

HA!
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Mark^Bastard
Sightsee MC

Post by Mark^Bastard »

Their new album is really growing on me. It's under 30 minutes and fast comfy punk

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Mark^Bastard wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 1:29am
Their new album is really growing on me. It's under 30 minutes and fast comfy punk
The problem with Rancid is they are too comfortable.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 6:01am
Mark^Bastard wrote:
I haven’t really listened to anything after 2000 because they just haven’t done anything interesting or different.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

matedog wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 9:03am
Marky Dread wrote:
Mark^Bastard wrote:
I haven’t really listened to anything after 2000 because they just haven’t done anything interesting or different.
They do Rancid, that's all you really need to know. They do a great live show.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
Yeah, I'll give the new album a spin at some point but this is where I'm at. More power to them for soldiering on and all (not that it's much of a hardship, Rancid Global Enterprises seems to be worth quite a pretty penny) but it's been almost a quarter of a century since they released a memorable album. Subsequent stuff hasn't been bad, but they definitely started to sound like a Rancid-inspired Hellcat band more than Rancid itself.

Faux Addendum: I'll second revbob that they still put on a great show though.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I like Rancid. I like this new album.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Silent Majority wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 10:03am
i think this is the first time I didn't buy the record with a day or 2 that it came out. I will though
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

tepista wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 10:09am
Silent Majority wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 10:03am
i think this is the first time I didn't buy the record with a day or 2 that it came out. I will though
You'll like it.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

matedog

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 9:26am
matedog wrote:
Yeah, I'll give the new album a spin at some point but this is where I'm at. More power to them for soldiering on and all (not that it's much of a hardship, Rancid Global Enterprises seems to be worth quite a pretty penny) but it's been almost a quarter of a century since they released a memorable album. Subsequent stuff hasn't been bad, but they definitely started to sound like a Rancid-inspired Hellcat band more than Rancid itself.

Faux Addendum: I'll second revbob that they still put on a great show though.
I saw them at Warped Tour in 2001. I'm overdue to see them again.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Mark^Bastard wrote:
Life Won't Wait is their peak for me (even if it's overlong by maybe five or so songs). They seem capable of doing different stuff. I wish they would.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Kory wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 3:05pm
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Mark^Bastard wrote:
Life Won't Wait is their peak for me (even if it's overlong by maybe five or so songs). They seem capable of doing different stuff. I wish they would.
Hello,

I like the new album but it's pretty clear they are not experimenting anymore. It seems they've kind of settled into who they are, what they do - which is not bad; it's also not as fun or memorable. I enjoy the new album but it's not as much of a stretch as some other stuff. If they were to try new stuff, I'm not sure what direction they should/would/could head - Latin?

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Mark^Bastard wrote:
The best of Wolves and Life Won't Wait would be one of the greatest albums ever. Both albums suffer from uneccessary filler.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog

Post by matedog »

gkbill wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 3:15pm
Kory wrote:
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Mark^Bastard wrote:
Hello,

I like the new album but it's pretty clear they are not experimenting anymore. It seems they've kind of settled into who they are, what they do - which is not bad; it's also not as fun or memorable. I enjoy the new album but it's not as much of a stretch as some other stuff. If they were to try new stuff, I'm not sure what direction they should/would/could head - Latin?
I listened to a song off of one of their recent albums and they are still singing about punks in the East bay like it’s 1988. The music is well done and all, but just so static.