seven song shuffle

General music discussion.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: seven song shuffle

Post by Flex »

Heston wrote:
24 May 2019, 6:57pm
Attica is one of my favourite SoD songs, nearly verging on Ska. My favourite Sweet song in there as well. And God, that Undertones song is so great, easily top 5.
For a second I got really excited about a Stormtroopers of Death ska tune. Alas.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
24 May 2019, 7:06pm
Marky Dread wrote:
24 May 2019, 12:29pm
BitterTom wrote:
24 May 2019, 12:25pm
Marky Dread wrote:
24 May 2019, 11:42am
1. Rebel Rebel - David Bowie
2. You've Got My Number (Why Don't You Use It!) - The Undertones
3. Reward - The Teardrop Explodes
4. Teenage Rampage - The Sweet
5. Gotta Gettaway - Stiff Little Fingers
6. Concrete Jungle - The Specials
7. Attica - Spear of Destiny
Rebel Rebel is one of the finest sounding riffs in history for me. The sound, the actual riff is perfect.
A fantastic riff played by Bowie himself. A great 7'' single at the time with the equally brilliant ''Queen Bitch'' as the B-side. Sheer rock 'n' roll paradise.
I'd always thought Bowie played it as well, but didn't you offer evidence a couple years ago that actually Alan Parker had played it?
Yes on the actual record the riff is indeed played by Parker but it's mostly Bowies riff as opposed to riffs being previosly the domain of Ronno. I say mostly because Bowie credits Parker with the last three notes.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
24 May 2019, 9:11pm
Heston wrote:
24 May 2019, 6:57pm
Attica is one of my favourite SoD songs, nearly verging on Ska. My favourite Sweet song in there as well. And God, that Undertones song is so great, easily top 5.
For a second I got really excited about a Stormtroopers of Death ska tune. Alas.
Yeah but most people tend to be put off by Bill Milano's operatic vocals.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
24 May 2019, 11:42am
1. Rebel Rebel - David Bowie
2. You've Got My Number (Why Don't You Use It!) - The Undertones
3. Reward - The Teardrop Explodes
4. Teenage Rampage - The Sweet
5. Gotta Gettaway - Stiff Little Fingers
6. Concrete Jungle - The Specials
7. Attica - Spear of Destiny
Rebel Rebel is one of the finest sounding riffs in history for me. The sound, the actual riff is perfect.
A fantastic riff played by Bowie himself. A great 7'' single at the time with the equally brilliant ''Queen Bitch'' as the B-side. Sheer rock 'n' roll paradise.
I'd always thought Bowie played it as well, but didn't you offer evidence a couple years ago that actually Alan Parker had played it?
Yes on the actual record the riff is indeed played by Parker but it's mostly Bowies riff as opposed to riffs being previosly the domain of Ronno. I say mostly because Bowie credits Parker with the last three notes.
My question, then, is: did David play it on the album? I had a theory that Ronnie Wood actually came up with the riff (he and Bowie were hanging out/recording a bit at the time, i.e. the "It's Only Rock n' Roll" session), but I always thought Bowie could have done it, as he was obviously a great rhythm guitarist with a great tone (thanks, Ronno). Check "Diamond Dogs" (and indeed the whole album).
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
24 May 2019, 9:39pm
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

My question, then, is: did David play it on the album? I had a theory that Ronnie Wood actually came up with the riff (he and Bowie were hanging out/recording a bit at the time, i.e. the "It's Only Rock n' Roll" session), but I always thought Bowie could have done it, as he was obviously a great rhythm guitarist with a great tone (thanks, Ronno). Check "Diamond Dogs" (and indeed the whole album).
I'm no musician but it's my understanding the riff is fairly simple to play and is virtually played through the whole song. I don't know if Bowie is on the album version which I think is the same as the UK 7". The US 7" is totally re-cut and is almost two minutes shorter and starts with the "Hot Tramp" lyric and has other bits of echo mixed in.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 May 2019, 10:00pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I'm no musician but it's my understanding the riff is fairly simple to play and is virtually played through the whole song. I don't know if Bowie is on the album version which I think is the same as the UK 7". The US 7" is totally re-cut and is almost two minutes shorter and starts with the "Hot Tramp" lyric and has other bits of echo mixed in.
Yeah, I know the US single mix (extra percussion, prominent acoustic guitar, et al.; and, oddly, I never heard it on the radio growing up at the time, only the album version). Oh well - I'll just go with my feeling that it's David playing it. That simple, raw, ringing tone/approach typifies his electric guitar attack. Obviously on 'Diamond Dogs', but also check the brief instrumental "Plan" from the 2nd disc of 2013's 'The Next Day'. The dude could play.

btw - you're more of a musician than an awful lot of big-name instrumentalists, mate. Ya know - like Guy Stevens or Andrew Loog Oldham if they actually knew a bit about music. You REALLY ought to be producing records, Marky.
Last edited by muppet hi fi on 24 May 2019, 10:50pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
24 May 2019, 10:46pm
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

Yeah, I know the US single mix (extra percussion, prominent acoustic guitar, et al.; and, oddly, I never heard it on the radio growing up at the time, only the album version). Oh well - I'll just go with my feeling that it's David playing it. That simple, raw, ringing tone/approach typifies his electric guitar attack. Obviously on 'Diamond Dogs', but also check the brief instrumental "Plan" from the 2nd disc of 2013's 'The Next Day'. The dude could play.
I love all the extras on The Next Day more than the actual album.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 May 2019, 10:48pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I love the entire 2-disc thing equally. I think it's a stone masterpiece, much more of a career synopsis than 'Scary Monsters' was meant (?) to be in '80. Every song accessible in a "pop" way without forsaking/paying homage to his avant garde experimentalism. A much better swan song than the brilliant but morose and mildly obtuse 'Blackstar', say I.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
24 May 2019, 10:57pm
Marky Dread wrote:
24 May 2019, 10:48pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

I love the entire 2-disc thing equally. I think it's a stone masterpiece, much more of a career synopsis than 'Scary Monsters' was meant (?) to be in '80. Every song accessible in a "pop" way without forsaking/paying homage to his avant garde experimentalism. A much better swan song than the brilliant but morose and mildly obtuse 'Blackstar', say I.
Blackstar has really grown on me but yeah the pop hooks on The Next Day is way more accessible.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Skin Deep - The Stranglers
Time for Heroes - The Libertines
Welcome Home (Sanitarium) - Metallica
Thank You for the Music - ABBA
Rock and Roll ain't Noise Pollution - AC/DC
L.S.F - Kasabian
Found What I've Been Looking For - Tom Grennan

ABBA aside, this is one of my favourites.

Edit: TYFTM isn't even that bad as a tune.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

1. Summer Fun - The Barracudas
2. Runaway Boys - The Stray Cats
3. Sun Hits the Sky - Supergrass
4. I Spy For the (F.B.I.) - The Untouchables
5. Pictures of Lilly - The Who
6. Villiers Terrace - Echo & the Bunnymen
7. Towers of London - XTC

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Pretty cool lists Tom and Marky. Good variety. What do you use for your source, radio station, streaming service ?

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

BitterTom wrote:
26 May 2019, 4:29pm
L.S.F - Kasabian

ABBA are great.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

revbob wrote:
26 May 2019, 5:36pm
Pretty cool lists Tom and Marky. Good variety. What do you use for your source, radio station, streaming service ?
Deezer for me.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Wolter wrote:
26 May 2019, 5:38pm
BitterTom wrote:
26 May 2019, 4:29pm
L.S.F - Kasabian

ABBA are great.
Certainly aren't the worst.