Inder's Takes — Nilsson

General music discussion.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Inder's Takes — Nilsson

Post by Flex »

Harry - 37 Thumbs Up - FUCK. YES. Gotta agree with Inder on "Nobody Cares About the Railroad Anymore". It's like thinking man's truckliness or something awesome. Also love "Mother Nature's Son" with its gorgeous vocals and also I like all the other songs in this album. This great, great album. Mr. Bojangles, motherfuckers.

Nilsson Sings Newman - 35 Thumbs Up - If you don't like Nilsson Sings Newman, fuck you fuckface. This album shows someone spending a great deal of time and effort making sure all the subtle nuances and affectations that make an album like this good are, well, there to make it good. ALL OF MY NILSSON REVIEWS WILL BE HOSTILE AND CONFRONTATIONAL, ASSHOLES
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:Harry - 37 Thumbs Up - FUCK. YES. Gotta agree with Inder on "Nobody Cares About the Railroad Anymore". It's like thinking man's truckliness or something awesome. Also love "Mother Nature's Son" with its gorgeous vocals and also I like all the other songs in this album. This great, great album. Mr. Bojangles, motherfuckers.

Nilsson Sings Newman - 35 Thumbs Up - If you don't like Nilsson Sings Newman, fuck you fuckface. This album shows someone spending a great deal of time and effort making sure all the subtle nuances and affectations that make an album like this good are, well, there to make it good. ALL OF MY NILSSON REVIEWS WILL BE HOSTILE AND CONFRONTATIONAL, ASSHOLES
Well if you really must review this sweet, kind and tender loving music like a new Exploited release then so be it.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Flex wrote:Harry - 37 Thumbs Up - FUCK. YES. Gotta agree with Inder on "Nobody Cares About the Railroad Anymore". It's like thinking man's truckliness or something awesome. Also love "Mother Nature's Son" with its gorgeous vocals and also I like all the other songs in this album. This great, great album. Mr. Bojangles, motherfuckers.

:cool: :cool:

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Whilst our attention is briefly drawn to this thread, I'd love it if someone did a track by track of Pussy Cats.

Pound for pound, an essential album, I say.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Inder wrote:Whilst our attention is briefly drawn to this thread, I'd love it if someone did a track by track of Pussy Cats.

Pound for pound, an essential album, I say.
The famous "lost weekend" session.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Some non-album goodness, off Son of Dracula:

[youtube][/youtube]

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

In the Nilsson doc, Mickey Dolenz says, "Some movies are released, others escape. This one escaped."

At least the songs are cool.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

[youtube][/youtube]

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

A couple of awesome tracks from the Monkees demo session — Cuddly Toy + This Could Be the Night.

TCBtN, sold off to the Modern Folk Quartet/Phil Spector a bit earlier, is a fantastic tune. There's a funny bit at the beginning — the Monkees' producer, Chip Douglas, was in the Modern Folk Q when they recorded the song, which Harry evidently didn't realize at the time. So you hear Chip asking "Are you kidding? Are you putting me on? I know it by heart!" when HN suggests putting the song down.

MFQ:

[youtube][/youtube]

Monkees' Cuddly Toy:

[youtube][/youtube]

Nilsson's album version of the above, on Pandemonium Shadow Show:

[youtube][/youtube]

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

The old-timey LA fb page I follow posted this today cuz it's his birthday, I thought you might like it, Indo.

Also, I didn't realize he was dead, sorry for your loss.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Nilsson is a con.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Still waiting for my box set to arrive in the mail. There's like two and a half true popmeisters I like - Alex Chilton, Nilsson and the baroque period of Brian Wilson. Inder, have I missed anyone? Lennon doesn't count in this group. Arthur Lee's pop period was brief. Doherty's pop isn't as good as his rock was. Elliott Smith did the popmeister bit for two albums but he's really a folkie with a Chilton obsession. Maybe he fits. Drunks and junkies to a man.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Although I understand Smith's appeal, he never really did anything for me. As I said elsewhere, I think Nilsson and Chilton are exemplary American iconoclast pop savants — sort of weirdo Pauls Simon/McCartney and BW. The same knack for musicality and melody with voices to match, if not the overwhelming ambition or vision.

G/W was what Doherty should've done instead of that terrible second 'shambles album. Things started to go off-piste when they hired that tuneless Rickenbacker-wielding mug. The forthcoming album sounds like a dog's luncheon.