Re: The KISS thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
21 Jan 2021, 7:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Jan 2021, 6:57pm
Heston wrote:
21 Jan 2021, 6:54pm
My first KISS poster. I actually bought it before I'd heard any of their records. I'd built up what they would sound like in my head and imagine my shock when the first thing I heard by them was on the wrong speed. My mate had the 12" single of Detroit Rock City and I didn't know it played at 45 RPM. I assumed because it was the size of an album it would play on 33 1/3. So I heard these demonic low bass notes and and even more demonic vocal and was thinking "what the fuck?". It sounded like Metallica before they'd formed. I was about to go back to listening to David Soul then my mate informed me of my technical shortcomings.

kiss231.jpg
In the pilot episode of WKRP in Cincinnati—did that every get aired in Thatcheria?—when Andy, the new program director, decided to switch to rock, that's the poster he put up behind his desk.
Yes, it aired over here but I have no recollection of it. That's funny because buying that poster was my first tentative step into rock. I remember feeling daring buying it, as if some clown faced idiots were gonna piss my parents off. Which I suppose is the essence of rock.
Exactly. Which is why I resent the entire idea of a rock n roll hall of fame. You don't canonize stuff that is supposed to represent rebellion. The best rock music pisses off authority figures. Always.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Jan 2021, 7:12pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
My first KISS poster. I actually bought it before I'd heard any of their records. I'd built up what they would sound like in my head and imagine my shock when the first thing I heard by them was on the wrong speed. My mate had the 12" single of Detroit Rock City and I didn't know it played at 45 RPM. I assumed because it was the size of an album it would play on 33 1/3. So I heard these demonic low bass notes and and even more demonic vocal and was thinking "what the fuck?". It sounded like Metallica before they'd formed. I was about to go back to listening to David Soul then my mate informed me of my technical shortcomings.

kiss231.jpg
In the pilot episode of WKRP in Cincinnati—did that every get aired in Thatcheria?—when Andy, the new program director, decided to switch to rock, that's the poster he put up behind his desk.
Yes, it aired over here but I have no recollection of it. That's funny because buying that poster was my first tentative step into rock. I remember feeling daring buying it, as if some clown faced idiots were gonna piss my parents off. Which I suppose is the essence of rock.
Exactly. Which is why I resent the entire idea of a rock n roll hall of fame. You don't canonize stuff that is supposed to represent rebellion. The best rock music pisses off authority figures. Always.
Hang on, are you calling KISS "the best rock music?" Sounds like it to me. Inder, close the thread.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
21 Jan 2021, 7:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Jan 2021, 7:12pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

kiss231.jpg
Hang on, are you calling KISS "the best rock music?" Sounds like it to me. Inder, close the thread.
Early on, they scared people because no one could figure them out. For, like, 2 years. And that was all presentation, not music. By Destroyer they were fully cartoon characters who scared nobody. I fully give them props for creative marketing, but no more.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:

kiss231.jpg
From silver lady to silver platform boots.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Jan 2021, 6:44pm
Marky Dread wrote:
21 Jan 2021, 6:26pm
I had a huge billboard poster about 6ft x 4ft
of this.
Years after my KISS days, I had this. 6' x 4' sounds about right for the dimensions. Fucker was massive.
Better. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

the performance of rock n roll all nite from the alive album came on the radio this afternoon and i... did not change the station.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Heston

Post by Heston »

Flex wrote:
22 Jan 2021, 8:14pm
the performance of rock n roll all nite from the alive album came on the radio this afternoon and i... did not change the station.
This is an undeniably exciting spectacle...I challenge the naysayers to watch it!

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Yeah, I won't say anything bad about that song. It's fun and a half.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Started reading KISS and Philosophy tonight. So far, it's thin soup. The first two essays are academics discussing growing up as KISS fans. Yawn, whatever. The start of the third essay reads like drunk Heston:
I love Paul Stanley! If you don't believe me, listen to the 5:18-minute mark, just before "Rock and Roll All Nite," from Nashville, Tennessee, 2009—you'll hear me scream it. If they ever release the Louisville, Kentucky, "End of the Road Tour" on 3-12-19, you' ll also hear me say, "Paul, you're my father!"

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jan 2021, 8:59pm
Started reading KISS and Philosophy tonight. So far, it's thin soup. The first two essays are academics discussing growing up as KISS fans. Yawn, whatever. The start of the third essay reads like drunk Heston:
I love Paul Stanley! If you don't believe me, listen to the 5:18-minute mark, just before "Rock and Roll All Nite," from Nashville, Tennessee, 2009—you'll hear me scream it. If they ever release the Louisville, Kentucky, "End of the Road Tour" on 3-12-19, you' ll also hear me say, "Paul, you're my father!"
I literally thought you'd quoted one of my posts from earlier in the thread.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
22 Jan 2021, 9:08pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jan 2021, 8:59pm
I literally thought you'd quoted one of my posts from earlier in the thread.
Please claim your PhD at the table by the door.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Approaching 3,000 posts in the thread, I've been informed this is a record outside of KISS forums.

I remember starting it with some trepidation, would anyone reply? But KISS is like a living, writhing machine, and that's down to you, the fans.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
22 Jan 2021, 8:42pm
Flex wrote:
This is an undeniably exciting spectacle...I challenge the naysayers to watch it!

It’s their magnum opus for sure.

One thing I never understood was Gene’s stage move where he does that like double blow job motion with his arms.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
22 Jan 2021, 9:19pm
Approaching 3,000 posts in the thread, I've been informed this is a record outside of KISS forums.

I remember starting it with some trepidation, would anyone reply? But KISS is like a living, writhing machine, and that's down to you, the fans.
Or its a freak show, and as embarrassing as it is, making you wonder what the fuck is wrong with a species that would produce such a monstrosity, you can't look away.

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
22 Jan 2021, 9:25pm
Heston wrote:
22 Jan 2021, 8:42pm
Flex wrote:

It’s their magnum opus for sure.

One thing I never understood was Gene’s stage move where he does that like double blow job motion with his arms.
He's marching with the KISS ARMY.