04 Jul 2022, 4:46pm
gkbill wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 4:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 2:37pm
gkbill wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 2:28pm

Hello,

I think this comes down to taste/likes/dislikes. I would challenge you to name a great disco song.
Hello,

Perhaps we're splitting hairs but to me this has a more R&B feel than a disco feel - great song part of the challenge completed.
No way, that's total disco. That beat and reliance on cheesy strings are core to the disco sound. Disco drew from r & b, funk, and soul, but slowed it down and employed garish cinematic orchestration to make it, I dunno, sexy?
R&B, funk and soul was already sexy.
Soul maybe, but r & b and funk were too energetic, I think, to be called sexy. Or maybe the better word that I want is seductive.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: The KISS thread

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 5:14pm
revbob wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 5:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 2:37pm

Hello,

Perhaps we're splitting hairs but to me this has a more R&B feel than a disco feel - great song part of the challenge completed.
No way, that's total disco. That beat and reliance on cheesy strings are core to the disco sound. Disco drew from r & b, funk, and soul, but slowed it down and employed garish cinematic orchestration to make it, I dunno, sexy?
Soul maybe, but r & b and funk were too energetic, I think, to be called sexy. Or maybe the better word that I want is seductive.
Depends on the song/perfromer I suppose. Try and tell my Betty Davis isnt sexy as hell.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 6:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 5:14pm
revbob wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 5:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:

Hello,

Depends on the song/perfromer I suppose. Try and tell my Betty Davis isnt sexy as hell.
There's always going to be exceptions, but, generally speaking, say, Motown in the 60s isn't thought of as producing sexy music.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Red Light Spells Danger by Billy Ocean is not only one of the greatest disco records ever, it's one of the greatest songs ever.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 5:26am
Red Light Spells Danger by Billy Ocean is not only one of the greatest disco records ever, it's one of the greatest songs ever.
Fucking brilliant song mate. Still can't believe it wasn't made 10 years earlier. Awesome song.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston

Post by Heston »

Good Times. It's playing on the radio right now.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

One curious thing that I read years ago was a significant difference in disco's primary audience between the UK and America. in the US, disco's original fans were African Americans, gay men, and straight women (neither gay men nor straight women made lesbians welcome in the clubs), and then it exploded into middle-class popularity with Saturday Night Fever. In the UK, disco was mostly a working-class genre. Which is striking for us in North America because it was the white working class, mainly male, who were disco's chief opponents (tho probably not so much aesthetic reasons than the black and gay association).

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston

Post by Heston »

I'm pissed and I love ////////////kiSS

so do you

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
30 Jul 2022, 10:40pm
I'm pissed and I love ////////////kiSS

so do you
Miss you too.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston what's your address?

Heston

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
23 Aug 2022, 8:25am

Pith off

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
23 Aug 2022, 9:46am
revbob wrote:
23 Aug 2022, 8:25am

Pith off
Ok and what size?

Heston

Post by Heston »

Someone unbiased listen to Gene's 1978 solo album and tell me I'm not going insane. Absolutely beautiful.