29 Mar 2023, 8:22pm
revbob wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 8:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 7:31pm
revbob wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 7:14pm
You're all being pretty generous.
Two to four songs makes me generous? You are the Russian Olympic judge!
Im just now noticing your positive comments about Lick it Up. ? This is probably the most troubling comment Ive ever come across on this board. More troubling than this video

I'm not exactly proud of myself, but, nah, I'm okayish with "Lick It Up" as a dumb hard rock song (for the same reason I kinda like Ratt's "Round and Round"; it's stupid as fuck but it's enjoyably stupid as fuck). The video is appalling, but then KISS are appalling. Goes with the territory.
:cry:

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: The KISS thread

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Im just now noticing your positive comments about Lick it Up. ? This is probably the most troubling comment Ive ever come across on this board. More troubling than this video

I'm not exactly proud of myself, but, nah, I'm okayish with "Lick It Up" as a dumb hard rock song (for the same reason I kinda like Ratt's "Round and Round"; it's stupid as fuck but it's enjoyably stupid as fuck). The video is appalling, but then KISS are appalling. Goes with the territory.
Um per my scientific analysis last year, “Lick It Up” is a relative midtier single from 1984-1991.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

matedog wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 9:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Um per my scientific analysis last year, “Lick It Up” is a relative midtier single from 1984-1991.
Id say this is generous too but then tou being you...

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

This would be analogous to finding out that I was a Phil Collins/Phish/royalty fan that hated Black Sabbath and only drank IPAs.

This is going to keep me up tonight.

And to be clear if that would come to pass kill me, kill me if only one of those things comes true.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Ridiculous to put Lick It up above stuff like Shout It Out Loud, Flaming Youth, Black Diamond and Let Me Know.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 10:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

This would be analogous to finding out that I was a Phil Collins/Phish/royalty fan that hated Black Sabbath and only drank IPAs.

And to be clear if that would come to pass kill me, kill me if only one of those things comes true.
Nah, it's akin to you hearing a Phil Collins or Genesis song and thinking, "Sure, I suppose." I mean, the word "okayish" I used isn't exactly a full-throated expression of support. For dumb hard rock, it's fine. If I had to list my favourite 5000 songs, maybe it squeaks in?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 6:32am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Nah, it's akin to you hearing a Phil Collins or Genesis song and thinking, "Sure, I suppose." I mean, the word "okayish" I used isn't exactly a full-throated expression of support. For dumb hard rock, it's fine. If I had to list my favourite 5000 songs, maybe it squeaks in?

Okayish for phl collins or genesis? Not likely. Ive never listened to every Genesis song but it would likely have to be an instrumental or some other person singing for me to not hate it. My phone contains about 5000 songs, I would rather listen to any of them over KISS or the previously mentioned musical atrocities.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 7:34am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 6:32am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Okayish for phl collins or genesis? Not likely. Ive never listened to every Genesis song but it would likely have to be an instrumental or some other person singing for me to not hate it. My phone contains about 5000 songs, I would rather listen to any of them over KISS or the previously mentioned musical atrocities.
It's an analogy. You said it'd be like revealing yourself to be a Phil Collins fan; I'm saying, no, it's like finding a Phil Collins song and thinking, "Meh, that's alright, I guess." I don't think me saying "Lick It Up" is okayish as inane 80s hard rock makes me a KISS fan by any stretch. It's like when a friend of mine interviewed Jello Biafra and I had him ask Jello what song he liked that was pretty embarrassing. Jello said, "I kinda like Glenn Frey's 'The Heat Is On.'" I don't think that makes Jello an Eagles fan.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Meanwhile, apparently Ace has evidence that Paul and Gene were on the grassy knoll or faked the moon landing or something: https://bravewords.com/news/ace-frehley ... -some-dirt

But I did like this True KISS™ perspective:
Personally I don't give a shit as long as I'm getting paid by them.

matedog

Post by matedog »

revbob wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 10:05pm
matedog wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 9:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Id say this is generous too but then tou being you...
I did use the "relative" qualifier.
Here was my final list of the song reviews (I rated the vids separately, but LIU was also midtier there too):
Song:
B All Hell's Breakin' Loose
B Heaven's On Fire
B Turn On the Night
B Crazy Crazy Nights
B Reason to Live
B Rise to It
C+ Lick It Up
C+ Who Wants to Be Lonely
C+ Uh! All Night
C+ Let's Put the X in Sex
C+ Hide Your Heart
C Forever
C You Make Me Rock Hard
D+ Tears are Falling
D Thrills in the Night
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Some moments to report from my KISS lecture (rather, the top 3 quiz at the end) …

• The first two guesses got R&RAN and DRC, so that took care of that.
• But I asked them to keep guessing to see if anyone would get "Strutter." Everything that people said I just snorted exaggeratedly.
• One person guessed "Black Diamond," to which I said only if it's by The Replacements.
• Another was "Heaven's On Fire," to which I said the only tolerable makeupless song was "Lick It Up," and I heard one guy say to another, "That's a good one."

Good times, good times …

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Mar 2023, 3:26pm
Some moments to report from my KISS lecture (rather, the top 3 quiz at the end) …

• But I asked them to keep guessing to see if anyone would get "Strutter." Everything that people said I just snorted exaggeratedly.
• One person guessed "Black Diamond," to which I said only if it's by The Replacements.
• Another was "Heaven's On Fire," to which I said the only tolerable makeupless song was "Lick It Up," and I heard one guy say to another, "That's a good one."

Good times, good times …
The Heaven's On Fire guess was correct.
*taps list in previous post*

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
31 Mar 2023, 3:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Good times, good times …
*Checks own, superior notes* Nope.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Mar 2023, 3:41pm
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Good times, good times …
Both sings suck a smelly hobo cock but Hoy is the less horrible in this case.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
31 Mar 2023, 5:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Mar 2023, 3:41pm
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Good times, good times …
Both sings suck a smelly hobo cock but Hoy is the less horrible in this case.
Let it be noted that revbob has expressed a preference for "Heaven's On Fire."