revbob wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 10:25am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 9:59am
revbob wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 9:53am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 10:07pm
Okay, guys and gals, here's me doing this thing. It turned out fine in terms of time, but a few glitches in the Powerpoint and delivery. A few areas of clarification and editing already noted. Standard first time out kind of stuff. I'm only going to keep the link active till the weekend, so you snooze you lose(?). Thanks in advance in you watch.
https://mega.nz/file/BVlXXaSC#--f5Xfq90 ... _Q0EXmi6ko

edit: I should add that I'm not advocating a DeBordian perspective here; I'm only trying to illustrate it. I think there's value in his critique of postmodern life, but I find it too bleak and abstract to properly convey real lived experience.
Watching now...

The video and voice are out of sync on mine...

Your wardrobe choice is on point!
Are you streaming or did you download? I didn't watch it (and I try to avoid watching my lectures) so I don't know if it's in the source or not.
This a download. Im at Kiss Alive.
Shit, sorry. That's unfortunate. Luckily the mode I record in privileges the Powerpoint slide and I'm always the smaller box in the corner, so the lack of sync between audio and video, I hope, isn't overly disruptive.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: The KISS thread

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 10:40am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 10:07pm
Okay, guys and gals, here's me doing this thing. It turned out fine in terms of time, but a few glitches in the Powerpoint and delivery. A few areas of clarification and editing already noted. Standard first time out kind of stuff. I'm only going to keep the link active till the weekend, so you snooze you lose(?). Thanks in advance in you watch.
https://mega.nz/file/BVlXXaSC#--f5Xfq90 ... _Q0EXmi6ko

edit: I should add that I'm not advocating a DeBordian perspective here; I'm only trying to illustrate it. I think there's value in his critique of postmodern life, but I find it too bleak and abstract to properly convey real lived experience.
Watching now...

Are you streaming or did you download? I didn't watch it (and I try to avoid watching my lectures) so I don't know if it's in the source or not.
Shit, sorry. That's unfortunate. Luckily the mode I record in privileges the Powerpoint slide and I'm always the smaller box in the corner, so the lack of sync between audio and video, I hope, isn't overly disruptive.
No big deal. Had to pause at just past half way to get some stuff done. I like to look at the person who is speaking generally but Im focusing more on the words you're speaking and less on your mouth movements. You're a good engaging speaker, I like how you use your hands.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 11:27am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Watching now...

No big deal. Had to pause at just past half way to get some stuff done. I like to look at the person who is speaking generally but Im focusing more on the words you're speaking and less on your mouth movements. You're a good engaging speaker, I like how you use your hands.
Ha! Thanks. The hands thing is something new with me since lecturing on Zoom. I'm curious whether it'll carry over to lecturing in person. Sometimes I feel like I'm Limbaugh mocking Michael J. Fox. I wish I had a deeper voice. My natural tone doesn't do me any favours, but it is what it is and I've learned not to fret about it.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 11:41am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Ha! Thanks. The hands thing is something new with me since lecturing on Zoom. I'm curious whether it'll carry over to lecturing in person. Sometimes I feel like I'm Limbaugh mocking Michael J. Fox. I wish I had a deeper voice. My natural tone doesn't do me any favours, but it is what it is and I've learned not to fret about it.
I'm about half way through it and I'm learning things I didn't know about KISS. Pretty cool, thanks for sharing your efforts Doc.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 12:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 11:41am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

I'm about half way through it and I'm learning things I didn't know about KISS. Pretty cool, thanks for sharing your efforts Doc.
You're quite welcome. One thing that I cut from the lecture because I didn't know where to put it was that on their first tour, they were introduced by an MC saying, “Put your two lips together and give a warm welcome for KISS!” That seemed lame for a band that sought to be bombastic. But there was a Toyota commercial running at the time that used the line, “You asked for it, you got it—Toyota.” Which they repurposed into, “You wanted the best and you got it, the hottest band in the land … KISS!” That they would repurpose a car commercial for themselves is highly suggestive as to where they got their ideas. Their desired peers were corporations, not other bands.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Well done, just finished the 2nd half. You should do a speaking tour with Jello.

Question do you go off notes when you're speaking or do you just follow an outline or something?

Whenever I try speaking publicly without notes I either come to a dead end or I tend to wander off course.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
21 Feb 2021, 9:45am
Well done, just finished the 2nd half. You should do a speaking tour with Jello.

Question do you go off notes when you're speaking or do you just follow an outline or something?

Whenever I try speaking publicly without notes I either come to a dead end or I tend to wander off course.
I've learned to write my lectures as fairly full scripts because I have a tendency to go off on tangents. Which can have the effect of either heading off into weird, dark places of the forest, or end up taking detours that jump ahead in the lecture (which gets embarrassing when I get to the proper part of the lecture where that should go, so I end up repeating big chunks). So to keep myself on a leash, I have really thick lecture notes. A friend of mine uses maybe 3 pages for a lecture, whereas I have about 16. Me speaking extemporaneously is like a Winston Smith collage—there's a theme there, but it's grabbing shit from weird places that I suspect only make sense to me.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Feb 2021, 9:58am
revbob wrote:

I've learned to write my lectures as fairly full scripts because I have a tendency to go off on tangents. Which can have the effect of either heading off into weird, dark places of the forest, or end up taking detours that jump ahead in the lecture (which gets embarrassing when I get to the proper part of the lecture where that should go, so I end up repeating big chunks). So to keep myself on a leash, I have really thick lecture notes. A friend of mine uses maybe 3 pages for a lecture, whereas I have about 16. Me speaking extemporaneously is like a Winston Smith collage—there's a theme there, but it's grabbing shit from weird places that I suspect only make sense to me.
Yeah that's me for sure. I used to spend hours memorizing speeches for classes writing them up reading them over and over and writing again. I fucking hate it but its the only way I can follow a straightish line so I always marvel at people who can do it effortlessly. I had to do a few presentations for work the past few years. One standing in front of an audience talking about something I didnt care about and I think it showed. Had to do another Zoom one this past year and that went great because I just had my notes typed up and looked at them on my screen where the camera was. I felt much more comfortable and was able to be more animated even though yeah I didnt care much about the topic.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
21 Feb 2021, 10:20am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Yeah that's me for sure. I used to spend hours memorizing speeches for classes writing them up reading them over and over and writing again. I fucking hate it but its the only way I can follow a straightish line so I always marvel at people who can do it effortlessly. I had to do a few presentations for work the past few years. One standing in front of an audience talking about something I didnt care about and I think it showed. Had to do another Zoom one this past year and that went great because I just had my notes typed up and looked at them on my screen where the camera was. I felt much more comfortable and was able to be more animated even though yeah I didnt care much about the topic.
I've never had a problem with enthusiasm. I'm pretty much always keyed up and dreading lectures beforehand, but once it starts I'm genuinely geeky into whatever I have to talk about (I can get worked up talking about currency deflation in the 1870s). But I do wish I were more disciplined. My mind is always heading in five different places at any given time (which also shows in my research; I am addicted to going down rabbit holes). The Boss is really good at delivering lectures with minimal preparation, but I'd be all over the 20th century on a given topic. Way too often student questions about some point of content get a 10-minute response that answers their question, but gives them eight other related components.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

So if we don't get to hear much music there's a very good reason for that indeed. :mrgreen:

Just had a quick peek, but will probably watch the whole thang later today.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Olaf wrote:
21 Feb 2021, 11:05am
So if we don't get to hear much music there's a very good reason for that indeed. :mrgreen:

Just had a quick peek, but will probably watch the whole thang later today.
No, the only video/audio segment is a commercial for KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park (which I had to play twice because I forgot you have to tell Zoom to stream the audio). And the lecture isn't musical analysis (which I suck at), it didn't make much sense. I wanted to show clips of their stage show, but I couldn't find anything I liked that was already isolated, and was damned if I was going to sit thru full shows to find that stuff.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Feb 2021, 10:36am
revbob wrote:
21 Feb 2021, 10:20am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

I've never had a problem with enthusiasm. I'm pretty much always keyed up and dreading lectures beforehand, but once it starts I'm genuinely geeky into whatever I have to talk about (I can get worked up talking about currency deflation in the 1870s). But I do wish I were more disciplined. My mind is always heading in five different places at any given time (which also shows in my research; I am addicted to going down rabbit holes). The Boss is really good at delivering lectures with minimal preparation, but I'd be all over the 20th century on a given topic. Way too often student questions about some point of content get a 10-minute response that answers their question, but gives them eight other related components.
Hello,

I apologize as I haven't watched the lecture - I'll do so tonight (a tree came down on the deck from ice so the wide needs the esthetic of a downed tree across the deck removed).

My lectures have components of all the above. I've delivered most of my lectures (or variants on the topic to various groups) many times before so I'm very familiar with the content as well as how I want to present it (what story or anecdote goes where - and have I told that story before?). I deal with kinesiology which has a very applied focus for most students - so I always keep that in mind - and reinforce theory with experiences I've had. I always want to answer the questions "how can you use this?" and "how does this work?". I'm definitely energetic when I lecture. I hate the fact that Zoom doesn't follow me around, or when I'm sharing the screen, keeps my face at a minimum - I want students to know that I'm joking if I'm joking. When I teach live, I am always moving around. A teacher in my grad work used to state "Always keep moving around the room when you teach. It keeps the students comfortable and feeling safe". I then went and taught in New York (Queens). The faculty there reinforced that and said "Yeah, always keep moving around the room. It's harder to hit moving target".

Okay, I'm done. I'll watch tonight. Thanks for hearing me out.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
21 Feb 2021, 3:48pm
Hello,

I apologize as I haven't watched the lecture - I'll do so tonight (a tree came down on the deck from ice so the wide needs the esthetic of a downed tree across the deck removed).

My lectures have components of all the above. I've delivered most of my lectures (or variants on the topic to various groups) many times before so I'm very familiar with the content as well as how I want to present it (what story or anecdote goes where - and have I told that story before?). I deal with kinesiology which has a very applied focus for most students - so I always keep that in mind - and reinforce theory with experiences I've had. I always want to answer the questions "how can you use this?" and "how does this work?". I'm definitely energetic when I lecture. I hate the fact that Zoom doesn't follow me around, or when I'm sharing the screen, keeps my face at a minimum - I want students to know that I'm joking if I'm joking. When I teach live, I am always moving around. A teacher in my grad work used to state "Always keep moving around the room when you teach. It keeps the students comfortable and feeling safe". I then went and taught in New York (Queens). The faculty there reinforced that and said "Yeah, always keep moving around the room. It's harder to hit moving target".

Okay, I'm done. I'll watch tonight. Thanks for hearing me out.
:lol: re. the moving target observation.

In person, I stick to the lectern where my notes sit, again so that I keep myself on track (and so I'm close to the computer to change the slide). If somebody asks a question, I'll start wandering around because then I'm not working from notes.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I watched about 45 minutes tonight, gonna do the rest over the weekend. Great stuff Doc, you are an engaging host. Hopefully you eventually mention how obsessed Peter Criss was with his hampton.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »