The KISS thread

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The KISS thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 4:44pm
I could easily find myself being like a Chico on there as I see troubling stuff already. Stuff that tends to make me shy away from metal to begin with.
The older I get, the more I, at best, distrust fans, especially those online. The people here are serious rarities in how to show off their fandom.

Okay, I'm seeing no call for a live version, so I'll do it on my own, maybe tonight, but probably tomorrow afternoon. I'll upload after that.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 5:16pm
revbob wrote:
I could easily find myself being like a Chico on there as I see troubling stuff already. Stuff that tends to make me shy away from metal to begin with.
The older I get, the more I, at best, distrust fans, especially those online. The people here are serious rarities in how to show off their fandom.

Okay, I'm seeing no call for a live version, so I'll do it on my own, maybe tonight, but probably tomorrow afternoon. I'll upload after that.
Yeah I guess I was getting greedy thinking this place wasn't unique.

I would love to do the live thing with you but fuck if I dont know how one minute to the next is going for me

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

revbob wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 5:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

I would love to do the live thing with you but fuck if I dont know how one minute to the next is going for me
Same. I can’t ever guarantee I’m available for anything.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

S'all good. The great variety of time zones represented here make things tough to co-ordinate even beyond everyone's personal responsibilities.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 5:30pm
revbob wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 5:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Same. I can’t ever guarantee I’m available for anything.
A live version would be funnest, but yeah, these things are hard to schedule. Particularly with the biggest KISS fan, Heston, living many time zones away.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Talking about me as if I'm not here, heathens. Hey, you schmucks will never absorb how great KISS were. Ridiculousism.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Okay, guys and gals, here's me doing this thing. It turned out fine in terms of time, but a few glitches in the Powerpoint and delivery. A few areas of clarification and editing already noted. Standard first time out kind of stuff. I'm only going to keep the link active till the weekend, so you snooze you lose(?). Thanks in advance in you watch.
https://mega.nz/file/BVlXXaSC#--f5Xfq90 ... _Q0EXmi6ko

edit: I should add that I'm not advocating a DeBordian perspective here; I'm only trying to illustrate it. I think there's value in his critique of postmodern life, but I find it too bleak and abstract to properly convey real lived experience.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 10:07pm
Okay, guys and gals, here's me doing this thing. It turned out fine in terms of time, but a few glitches in the Powerpoint and delivery. A few areas of clarification and editing already noted. Standard first time out kind of stuff. I'm only going to keep the link active till the weekend, so you snooze you lose(?). Thanks in advance in you watch.

edit: I should add that I'm not advocating a DeBordian perspective here; I'm only trying to illustrate it. I think there's value in his critique of postmodern life, but I find it too bleak and abstract to properly convey real lived experience.
Downloaded. Can't get the wife to watch so I'll have to watch it in pieces over the next few days.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
18 Feb 2021, 12:19am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Downloaded. Can't get the wife to watch so I'll have to watch it in pieces over the next few days.
Cool and thanks. Hope it's entertaining/edifying in some way. Also, I should point out the minor eumaas connection. For the longest time, he used this photo of Debord as his avatar:
So if it helps or amuses, pretend I'm talking about eumaas discussing postmodern life.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Oooh, excellent! Will have to download it to watch later.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Feb 2021, 7:34am
Also, I should point out the minor eumaas connection. For the longest time, he used this photo of Debord as his avatar:
So if it helps or amuses, pretend I'm talking about eumaas discussing postmodern life.
That's right, I think that was his avatar when I first joined the board. Of course, later he switched to the young Korngold.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

Watching now...

The video and voice are out of sync on mine...

Your wardrobe choice is on point!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 9:53am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Watching now...

Are you streaming or did you download? I didn't watch it (and I try to avoid watching my lectures) so I don't know if it's in the source or not.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Olaf wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 9:12am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Feb 2021, 7:34am
Also, I should point out the minor eumaas connection. For the longest time, he used this photo of Debord as his avatar:
That's right, I think that was his avatar when I first joined the board. Of course, later he switched to the young Korngold.
Our little boy had only modest facial hair back then. Sunrise, sunset. :cry:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 9:59am
revbob wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 9:53am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Watching now...

Are you streaming or did you download? I didn't watch it (and I try to avoid watching my lectures) so I don't know if it's in the source or not.
This a download. Im at Kiss Alive.