The KISS thread

General music discussion.
BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Re: The KISS thread

Post by BitterTom »

Monday.

Strutter - Good old fashioned rock n roll. Early AC/DC musically. Vocals strong. The song goes from cool to cool as fuck on "STRUTTER!"

Let Me Know - More good rock n roll. Even better than Strutter. More laid back but just as cool. Really reminds me of all the music I listened to at 14 while starting to learn the guitar so I'm warming fast to Kiss here. That guitar outro is getting me hot under the collar.

Kissin Time - First dud. Didn't like the chord sequence or the vocals, intro and chorus especially. Nothing worked for me here. That chorus was dire, "anytime is kissin time, USA!" It couldn't fade out fast enough.

Black Diamond - Unsure about that intro till the fucking cool riff kicked in. Found myself singing "Black Diamond" in my head by end. Great up until the end half. The 'first' ending at around 2.40 didn't warrant that For Those About to Rock style ending. The 'second' ending was just fucking stupid.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 4:10pm
Monday.

Strutter - Good old fashioned rock n roll. Early AC/DC musically. Vocals strong. The song goes from cool to cool as fuck on "STRUTTER!"

Let Me Know - More good rock n roll. Even better than Strutter. More laid back but just as cool. Really reminds me of all the music I listened to at 14 while starting to learn the guitar so I'm warming fast to Kiss here. That guitar outro is getting me hot under the collar.

Kissin Time - First dud. Didn't like the chord sequence or the vocals, intro and chorus especially. Nothing worked for me here. That chorus was dire, "anytime is kissin time, USA!" It couldn't fade out fast enough.

Black Diamond - Unsure about that intro till the fucking cool riff kicked in. Found myself singing "Black Diamond" in my head by end. Great up until the end half. The 'first' ending at around 2.40 didn't warrant that For Those About to Rock style ending. The 'second' ending was just fucking stupid.
Kissin Time is a bit corny, the band themselves didn't want to cover it, it was for a competition or something. It just holds a bit of nostalgia value for me I suppose.

There is an edit of Black Diamond on the "Double Platinum" comp that loses that long outro, I agree it is a bit pointless.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

At last someone is taking KISS seriously!
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Heston wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 5:04pm
Do KISS even take themselves seriously? ;)
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 5:58pm
Heston wrote:
Depends on whether there's an accounting ledger involved.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

WestwayKid wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 5:58pm
Heston wrote:
zild.jpg
zild.jpg (22.8 KiB) Viewed 2371 times

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Tuesday.

All The Way - Distinctly average and forgettable. Screams of album filler to me. Riff was ok though.

Comin Home - Epic. Love the chord sequence apart from the Who(?) Esque part starting with, "Oh, girl." It sounds like a song from the 60s and I can't think at all what it is. May be The Who, maybe not. Apart from that, great melody and a nicely worked key change! Just finishes far too soon for me. (Matron!)

I'm Kiss-ed out for today and fancy some GEER. More tomorrow.

Heston

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 3:39pm
Tuesday.

All The Way - Distinctly average and forgettable. Screams of album filler to me. Riff was ok though.

Comin Home - Epic. Love the chord sequence apart from the Who(?) Esque part starting with, "Oh, girl." It sounds like a song from the 60s and I can't think at all what it is. May be The Who, maybe not. Apart from that, great melody and a nicely worked key change! Just finishes far too soon for me. (Matron!)

Is it "Pictures of Lily?"

Heston

Post by Heston »

Tom, did you have any preconceived notions about KISS? I'm liking the unbiased reviews.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Heston wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 3:44pm
BitterTom wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 3:39pm
Tuesday.

Is it "Pictures of Lily?"
It's not and it's annoying me (Missing You all over again.) It's the chords that run from 0:30 to 0:34, they sound exactly like a song from that 60s era but can't put my finger on it.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Heston wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 3:55pm
Tom, did you have any preconceived notions about KISS? I'm liking the unbiased reviews.
I'll be honest, I thought they were going to just be a joke. Camp as Christmas but covering lewd subjects. Oh and the same for every song.

However, upon listening I am pleasantly surprised. The music especially is something I can really go with. Like I mentioned yesterday, when I was first learning the guitar, all the music I listened to then sounded exactly like Kiss! So that helps, makes me more welcoming to them. Ok so I haven't liked everything I've heard but that proves I had ill informed preconceived notions that every song would sound the same. They don't. And when they do get it right, it's a joy for the ears.

Heston

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 4:22pm
Heston wrote:
I'll be honest, I thought they were going to just be a joke. Camp as Christmas but covering lewd subjects. Oh and the same for every song.

However, upon listening I am pleasantly surprised. The music especially is something I can really go with. Like I mentioned yesterday, when I was first learning the guitar, all the music I listened to then sounded exactly like Kiss! So that helps, makes me more welcoming to them. Ok so I haven't liked everything I've heard but that proves I had ill informed preconceived notions that every song would sound the same. They don't. And when they do get it right, it's a joy for the ears.
After this is all over we start on my "Best of the Solo Albums" comp. :shifty: It's a twelve song classic. If it had been their album after Alive II they would have ruled the world even harder than they actually did.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Something very terrible is happening here. Like a runaway getting sucked into a cult, destined to conclude with a fiery shoot out with the FBI.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Heston wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 4:50pm
BitterTom wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 4:22pm
Heston wrote:

After this is all over we start on my "Best of the Solo Albums" comp. :shifty: It's a twelve song classic. If it had been their album after Alive II they would have ruled the world even harder than they actually did.
I'm game for that. To be honest, I'm loving listening to new music (for me) and getting to talk about it, my pleasure is far greater than any others here sorry!

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 4:54pm
Something very terrible is happening here. Like a runaway getting sucked into a cult, destined to conclude with a fiery shoot out with the FBI.
:lol: :lol:

Haha, I could feel your brooding presence hovering over the last few posts, and was patiently waiting for the potshot. :lol: