The KISS thread

General music discussion.
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: The KISS thread

Post by matedog »

We are now in the heart of the 80s, the woeful year of 1985 with the non-single video for "Uh! All Night" from the album "Asylum." The song was cowritten by Paul with regular hair metal contributor Desmond Child and Steve Van Zandt and Ramones contributor Jean Beauvoir.

Lyrics: Work is a drag, baby! But boning after work should make you feel better. Maybe if you weren't up all night fucking and got a good night's sleep, work wouldn't be so rough. And what the fuck is this verse?
Take me to the jungle, honey
We're livin' in a human zoo
Getcha turnin' tricks for money
I'd rather roll around with you
Is he saying he's a prostitute but he'd rather be with this girl instead? Or she's the prostitute? I don't get it at all. But it's par for the course for a KISS rocker, lyrically speaking.
Music: The riff is a winner, very reminiscent of ACDC with a nice little lead riff to end each section. Paul's vocals are dead. He's doing a Street Fighting Man (Or Dancing in the Street?) homage but sounds bored as hell. The prechorus fairs better with some nice harmonies, but still not exactly memorable. The chorus is that weird non-catchy anthem that you heard from time to time. It doesn't get stuck in your head because it's not very melodic, but it is still very sing alongy? I don't know, it's weird and falls flat for me. Give me more hooks! That being said, the "uh!" is fun, particularly prior to the solo. Glad they knew enough to put it in the song title. It's the best part of the song.

Video: A mysterious stranger wanders down a spotlighted stairway. Then the trench coat comes off to reveal a bedazzled man letting his hair down. Oh shit it's Paul! This is the best shot I got of just how dandy he looks in this reveal:

This was their color phase before they want back to black at the end of the decade. Paul loves that sailor cap or whatever. Jimmy Page looked kinda cool in it in the 70s, but Paul doesn't get the same effect. Two girls (twins?) are hanging out in their bedroom and the band peak through blinds and comically large key hole to spy on them. Consent wasn't big in those days. Oh now there are like twenty of these girls rolling out their beds with red lights on them. What's going to happen? Oh just more synchronized bed dancing. The top angle is a nice trick and shows they put a lot more thought into this video than the others, but that doesn't say that much. The band is also in higher spirits than the other studio set videos I've been watching. So all in all, not so bad.

Song grade: C+ Verses are dead on arrival and not particularly redeemed by the non catchy sing along chorus. It gets a "+" for effective use of the "uh!" though.
Video grade: B I'm feeling generous. There is kind of a theme and the band seems to be having fun. There are fireworks and smoke and giant amps. The standards are lower than shit, but this was alright.

Next week: Wikipedia says "Who Wants To Be Lonely" is next on my list. I'm hoping it's a monster ballad based on the title. If not, hopefully the video is as fun as this one.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
21 Jan 2022, 6:35pm
Lyrics: Work is a drag, baby! But boning after work should make you feel better. Maybe if you weren't up all night fucking and got a good night's sleep, work wouldn't be so rough.
This was their Marxist phase?
And what the fuck is this verse?
Is he saying he's a prostitute but he'd rather be with this girl instead? Or she's the prostitute? I don't get it at all. But it's par for the course for a KISS rocker, lyrically speaking.
We're all prostitutes, comrade, but we should all be … pimps?
Video: A mysterious stranger wanders down a spotlighted stairway. Then the trench coat comes off to reveal a bedazzled man letting his hair down. Oh shit it's Paul! This is the best shot I got of just how dandy he looks in this reveal:
In that shot, it could be Prince.
Next week: Wikipedia says "Who Wants To Be Lonely" is next on my list. I'm hoping it's a monster ballad based on the title. If not, hopefully the video is as fun as this one.
I have never heard of this song. I don't think it will be good.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Jan 2022, 6:54pm
matedog wrote:
Lyrics: Work is a drag, baby! But boning after work should make you feel better. Maybe if you weren't up all night fucking and got a good night's sleep, work wouldn't be so rough.
A belated thank you for your continued reading and responding to these awful posts.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
24 Jan 2022, 4:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
A belated thank you for your continued reading and responding to these awful posts.
Unlike Heston—remember Heston? He started this thread to inspire discussion about KISS—I am committed to this thread and helping mold it to its more sensible mission.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jan 2022, 4:46pm
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Unlike Heston—remember Heston? He started this thread to inspire discussion about KISS—I am committed to this thread and helping mold it to its more sensible mission.
Remind me what is that exactly?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 Jan 2022, 4:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:

Destroying all possible credibility of that music-related, cross-promotional marketing venture.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jan 2022, 5:14pm
Marky Dread wrote:
24 Jan 2022, 4:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Destroying all possible credibility of that music-related, cross-promotional marketing venture.
Attachments
5f80ed6ce26109.91751026_original.jpeg

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Remember my caveat.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
24 Jan 2022, 5:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:

Remember my caveat.
Was it "All buyers beware this IS a KISS album" ?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:

Remember my caveat.
"I'm drunkposting"?

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jan 2022, 5:32pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Remember my caveat.
"I'm drunkposting"?
Make up years only except GGRARTY and KKN.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
24 Jan 2022, 5:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:

Remember my caveat.
"I'm drunkposting"?
You're making this up. 🤣

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:

Remember my caveat.
"I'm drunkposting"?
Ah, the dream of endless unprotected sex without gonorrhea.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:

Remember my caveat.
"I'm drunkposting"?
Hey, Doc adhered with his Psycho Circus review.

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
24 Jan 2022, 6:04pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Remember my caveat.
"I'm drunkposting"?
Hey, Doc adhered with his Psycho Circus review.
They were clowns by that stage, and belonged in a circus.