The KISS thread

General music discussion.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: The KISS thread

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 8:37am
How it was whittled down to 10 worst is beyond me. At some point shit is still shit whether there's corn or nuts in it.
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/worst-kiss-songs/
I notice only one song from the Klassic period and they were forced into doing that.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 9:55am
revbob wrote:
How it was whittled down to 10 worst is beyond me. At some point shit is still shit whether there's corn or nuts in it.
I notice only one song from the Klassic period and they were forced into doing that.
The writer is clearly a fan

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
An embarrassment of riches. Shitty, shitty riches.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

revbob wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 11:36am
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
A classic case of the fan hits the shit. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 11:47am
revbob wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 11:36am
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
A classic case of the fan hits the shit. ;)
Hello,

Well done, young man! The force is strong in this one!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 11:46am
revbob wrote:
I legitimately cannot imagine willingly listening to any Kiss song released after the 70s. I mean, I’m not saying they didn’t have some garbage then, but at least they were culturally relevant in an historical curiosity way.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 12:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
I legitimately cannot imagine willingly listening to any Kiss song released after the 70s. I mean, I’m not saying they didn’t have some garbage then, but at least they were culturally relevant in an historical curiosity way.
Yeah, like, how many non-KISS fans / general music dorks could name three of their songs after Dynasty? They just killed time for a decade and half before they could become a nostalgia act and really amp up the marketing-venture-disguised-as-a-band gimmick.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 12:39pm
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Yeah, like, how many non-KISS fans / general music dorks could name three of their songs after Dynasty? They just killed time for a decade and half before they could become a nostalgia act and really amp up the marketing-venture-disguised-as-a-band gimmick.
I basically only remember one song: “Unholy” which I remember seeing the video in high school and thinking “this absolutely doesn’t sound like Kiss.”
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
The average Brit would probably name 2 straight away. Crazy Nights and God Gave RnR To You were their biggest hits over here. And I think lots would know Lick It Up even though it didn't trouble the upper reaches of the charts.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 2:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
The average Brit would probably name 2 straight away. Crazy Nights and God Gave RnR To You were their biggest hits over here. And I think lots would know Lick It Up even though it didn't trouble the upper reaches of the charts.
That does not speak well for your people.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 2:23pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Remember my Krazy KISS fact?

Their only two US top ten hits tanked in the UK, and their only two UK top ten hits tanked in the States.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 2:26pm

Their only two US top ten hits tanked in the UK, and their only two UK top ten hits tanked in the States.
Which points to the idea again that crossover success between the UK and US is more freak event than what might be expected, even with notable acts. Whether it's structural or cultural, it's impossible to predict success of failure based on what happens in one place.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 2:29pm
Heston wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 2:26pm

Which points to the idea again that crossover success between the UK and US is more freak event than what might be expected, even with notable acts. Whether it's structural or cultural, it's impossible to predict success of failure based on what happens in one place.
Talking Heads have a similar stat.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

We ARE your people you racist. By that I mean KISS are terrible and those two tracks Heston mentioned are everything that's wrong with 80s rock.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 2:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:

We ARE your people you racist. By that I mean KISS are terrible and those two tracks Heston mentioned are everything that's wrong with 80s rock.
I ain't no Thatcheranian!