The KISS thread

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The KISS thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Listening to selected tracks off Nevermind to see if I can hear what Heston does when he calls Nirvana metal. I just can't detect it. Like, at all. If a person doesn't like the term grunge—which, to be fair, only the media liked it—I'd say it's post-hardcore. Hardcore is the primary source, that's pretty clear, but it's slowed down a lot and more melody is applied, which is mostly post-hardcore. There's more obvious connection between Nirvana and, for example, Fugazi than with, say, Whitesnake or Priest.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Feb 2022, 9:15pm
Listening to selected tracks off Nevermind to see if I can hear what Heston does when he calls Nirvana metal. I just can't detect it. Like, at all. If a person doesn't like the term grunge—which, to be fair, only the media liked it—I'd say it's post-hardcore. Hardcore is the primary source, that's pretty clear, but it's slowed down a lot and more melody is applied, which is mostly post-hardcore. There's more obvious connection between Nirvana and, for example, Fugazi than with, say, Whitesnake or Priest.
Id say Soundgarden had more metal in them than Nirvana.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
27 Feb 2022, 10:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Id say Soundgarden had more metal in them than Nirvana.
I agree. Of all the big Seattle bands from the early 90s, Nirvana was the least metal sounding. There's such an endpoint (logical and tragic) of American underground to Nirvana, not above ground metal.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
I agree with your "post-hardcore" but that sound is way more evident on "bleach" with "Nevermind" it verges on pop. Listen to the song "Lithium" and then think of it's pop sensibilities. Nirvana are no more heavy metal than Bonnie Tyler or Meatloaf.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Feb 2022, 5:27am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I agree with your "post-hardcore" but that sound is way more evident on "bleach" with "Nevermind" it verges on pop. Listen to the song "Lithium" and then think of it's pop sensibilities. Nirvana are no more heavy metal than Bonnie Tyler or Meatloaf.
RIght—Nirvana took post-hardcore (if the term even existed at that point) and went a step or two further into pop realms. Which is the sell-out wedge right there, intentional or not.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

The long awaited return of the "KISS SONG OF THE DAY"

Here I give to you Hard Times. Streetwise hard rock with a punk edge.

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Heston wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 10:23pm

Hello,

Somewhere, there's a bunch of people with guitars in a bar thinking, "Let's be a punk band doing Kiss covers" - probably in New Jersey.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 10:23pm

I've said this before, but if you're buying into KISS—and buying is used deliberately—you're looking for superheroes and sex gods and cartoonish hard glam. They're selling a hormone fantasy to young (mostly) guys. Who the fuck are they kidding with this faux gritty social realism? It's as dumb and out of place as the Beach Boys covering PE.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
25 Mar 2022, 8:06pm
Real headline: Hardtimes to Heston: Drop Dead.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Tomorrow is the second time around for my KISS lecture. I've already warned my students who are KISS fans that they might get offended. And I'll be wearing that horrible Yankees/KISS shirt to show the students that I basically hate myself.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Mar 2022, 6:49pm
Tomorrow is the second time around for my KISS lecture. I've already warned my students who are KISS fans that they might get offended. And I'll be wearing that horrible Yankees/KISS shirt to show the students that I basically hate myself.
How many Kiss fans do you usually get?
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
31 Mar 2022, 7:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
How many Kiss fans do you usually get?
When I taught my rock seminar, I had a couple. Generally, tho, most KISS fans can't fill out the forms to apply to university so it takes care of things that way.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Mar 2022, 7:18pm
When I taught my rock seminar, I had a couple. Generally, tho, most KISS fans can't fill out the forms to apply to university so it takes care of things that way.
Higher ed isn't "dangerous" enough, I suspect
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Im just happy to have played a small yet significant role.