Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The KISS thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
31 Mar 2022, 7:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Mar 2022, 7:18pm
When I taught my rock seminar, I had a couple. Generally, tho, most KISS fans can't fill out the forms to apply to university so it takes care of things that way.
Higher ed isn't "dangerous" enough, I suspect
I confess that I don't use pyrotechnics in my lectures. Call me old school, but I don't need explosions and dry ice to get my point across.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
31 Mar 2022, 7:47pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Mar 2022, 6:49pm
Tomorrow is the second time around for my KISS lecture. I've already warned my students who are KISS fans that they might get offended. And I'll be wearing that horrible Yankees/KISS shirt to show the students that I basically hate myself.
Im just happy to have played a small yet significant role.
After a long term, students deserve to know that their instructor is an ass-clown.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

KISS - Freedom to Rock T-Shirt

What size are you Doc?

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

revbob wrote:
31 Mar 2022, 11:12pm

What size are you Doc?
He can wear that on the days he doesn’t wear his Cut the Crap shirt!
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:

What size are you Doc?
That information is now classified super duper ultra holy shit secret on account of threats to my mental well-being from terrifying clothing.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Apr 2022, 10:00am
revbob wrote:

What size are you Doc?
That information is now classified super duper ultra holy shit secret on account of threats to my mental well-being from terrifying clothing.
Looks like someone hates Freedom.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
01 Apr 2022, 10:05am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

What size are you Doc?
The McCartney version and the more encompassing idea, yes.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Apr 2022, 10:53am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

What size are you Doc?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
01 Apr 2022, 11:00am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Apr 2022, 10:53am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

What size are you Doc?
Surely as horrible as KISS in 2002.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Mainstream art and culture was surely at one of its lowest troughs circa 2002. What a horrible time for the mainstream.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
01 Apr 2022, 11:24am
Mainstream art and culture was surely at one of its lowest troughs circa 2002. What a horrible time for the mainstream.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard ... es_of_2002

Mainstream rock was pretty awful from like 99-02. 02 was the last year before White Stripes/Strokes/etc. brought things back to good for a few years. The pop/R&B isn't too bad on this list though.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Also, did anyone else assume KISS was from Detroit? Same reason I thought Huey Lewis/News was from Cleveland.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 10:53am
Also, did anyone else assume KISS was from Detroit? Same reason I thought Huey Lewis/News was from Cleveland.
No, because I read my first KISS biog at the age of 10.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

matedog wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 10:52am
Flex wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard ... es_of_2002

Mainstream rock was pretty awful from like 99-02. 02 was the last year before White Stripes/Strokes/etc. brought things back to good for a few years. The pop/R&B isn't too bad on this list though.
Is the mainstream ever not awful, or boring/unchallenging. I mean that's the nature of the beast right? Budweiser, McDonald's, vanilla, etc...