The KISS thread

General music discussion.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: The KISS thread

Post by Heston »

I remember eumaas never initially trusted me after one of my first posts on here was a "Best KISS Solo Album" poll. He said I had brain syphilis but we learned to get along.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 5:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 4:54pm
Something very terrible is happening here. Like a runaway getting sucked into a cult, destined to conclude with a fiery shoot out with the FBI.
:lol: :lol:

Haha, I could feel your brooding presence hovering over the last few posts, and was patiently waiting for the potshot. :lol:
We all have our roles to play, and I respect you too much to shirk my responsibility.

KISS are ball sweat on a hot day.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

BitterTom wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 4:22pm
Heston wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 3:55pm
Tom, did you have any preconceived notions about KISS? I'm liking the unbiased reviews.
I'll be honest, I thought they were going to just be a joke. Camp as Christmas but covering lewd subjects. Oh and the same for every song.

However, upon listening I am pleasantly surprised. The music especially is something I can really go with. Like I mentioned yesterday, when I was first learning the guitar, all the music I listened to then sounded exactly like Kiss! So that helps, makes me more welcoming to them. Ok so I haven't liked everything I've heard but that proves I had ill informed preconceived notions that every song would sound the same. They don't. And when they do get it right, it's a joy for the ears.
We had such high hopes for you, Tom.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

JennyB wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 9:34am
BitterTom wrote:
Heston wrote:
Tom, did you have any preconceived notions about KISS? I'm liking the unbiased reviews.
I'll be honest, I thought they were going to just be a joke. Camp as Christmas but covering lewd subjects. Oh and the same for every song.

However, upon listening I am pleasantly surprised. The music especially is something I can really go with. Like I mentioned yesterday, when I was first learning the guitar, all the music I listened to then sounded exactly like Kiss! So that helps, makes me more welcoming to them. Ok so I haven't liked everything I've heard but that proves I had ill informed preconceived notions that every song would sound the same. They don't. And when they do get it right, it's a joy for the ears.
Well, medium hopes.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 10:36am
JennyB wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Heston wrote:

Well, medium hopes.
This actually elevates my expectations.

Time to dust off some Human Touch outtakes for trial...
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Wolter wrote:
JennyB wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Heston wrote:

Well, medium hopes.
I was going to say it went downhill but it never really climbed up the hill.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

BitterTom wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 1:30pm
Wolter wrote:
JennyB wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Heston wrote:

Well, medium hopes.
A perfectly serviceable dune.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Wolter wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 1:36pm
BitterTom wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 1:30pm
Wolter wrote:
JennyB wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

Well, medium hopes.
A perfectly serviceable dune.
Cheers Wolt ;)

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Wednesday

Let Me Go, Rock and Roll - Sounding more like Let There Be Rock era AC/DC now. It's cheesy but to be expected. The riff doesn't fail to put a smile on my face and power in my stride. Didn't outstay its welcome, not my favourite but a solid effort.

Room Service - More filler, very average. The verses were dull but at least the chorus had something about it. Nice riff I didn't hear coming, solo was pretty decent too.

She - That's what I'm talking about!! From the powerful opening riff to that lovely off beat chorus it was amazing throughout. That's a fucking cool song, love it. Only problem is that weird fade out ending, would have preferred a big "NURRRRR!" Ending chord personally.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 3:41pm
Wednesday

Let Me Go, Rock and Roll - Sounding more like Let There Be Rock era AC/DC now. It's cheesy but to be expected. The riff doesn't fail to put a smile on my face and power in my stride. Didn't outstay its welcome, not my favourite but a solid effort.

Room Service - More filler, very average. The verses were dull but at least the chorus had something about it. Nice riff I didn't hear coming, solo was pretty decent too.

She - That's what I'm talking about!! From the powerful opening riff to that lovely off beat chorus it was amazing throughout. That's a fucking cool song, love it. Only problem is that weird fade out ending, would have preferred a big "NURRRRR!" Ending chord personally.
We seem to have a nice hit rate of average/good/great. Things hot up as we enter their golden age, I promise you.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Thursday

Rock and Roll All Nite - Ah once of the few Kiss tracks I actually know. Sadly wasn't as good as I'd remembered, chorus aside, which is great of course, it felt lacklustre and I've certainly heard better since.

Detroit Rock City - Kept having the urge to sing Boys Are Back in Town to this one. Weird song, felt the verse and chorus came from different songs and then glued together. Took 3 listens to enjoy it more. Not certain about that chorus but the verses were power. Loved hearing the bass properly and that solo was epic.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Just discovered this....almost as good as the Dolls...Wow what a loaded statement!
and by that I am totally taking the piss. They are nowhere near as good as the Dolls, not in the same league. No way no how! I've seen David, Johnny, Syl plus the new Dolls over 50 times, I'm a huge Dolls fan and collector.
As for Kiss, I really coulnd't care less. I'm reading Stranded in the Jungle about Jerry, the second drummer for the Dolls and he was good friends with Peter Criss, they both worshiped Gene Krupa. Sorry for being pedantic but sometimes you need to explain yourself.
Last edited by coffeepotman on 07 Jul 2019, 11:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

coffeepotman wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 10:12am
Just discovered this....almost as good as the Dolls
That Black Diamond is the second best version I’ve heard after every single Replacements version.
(This is actually not bad. They should’ve broken up in 1974)

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

coffeepotman wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 10:12am
Just discovered this....almost as good as the Dolls
Kiss and the Dolls had absolutely nothing in common musically, so comparisons are moot. It'd be like comparing the Dolls to Motley Crue or someone. Very different styles, approaches, songwriting, overall vibe.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 5:06pm
I remember eumaas never initially trusted me after one of my first posts on here was a "Best KISS Solo Album" poll. He said I had brain syphilis but we learned to get along.
And now you've gone and infected Tom.