What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 5:09pm
Listened to this walking to and back from school. Been listening to a lot of post-No Wave mutant disco lately. Just so goddamned good and fascinating. I'd argue it was the last great moment of diverse genres coming together—art punk, disco, funk, and hip hop. I have a No Wave lecture planned, and it has an epilogue of sorts on this stuff, but now I'm thinking I should write a proper lecture on this remarkable coming together in Manhattan in the early 80s.
Hello,

This was a great time. I was lucky enough to be living in NYC at this time. You would actually hear No Wave in clubs/bars. You will need to lecture with a live mike and a really long cord to do a James Chance impression on disengaged students.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 5:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Listened to this walking to and back from school. Been listening to a lot of post-No Wave mutant disco lately. Just so goddamned good and fascinating. I'd argue it was the last great moment of diverse genres coming together—art punk, disco, funk, and hip hop. I have a No Wave lecture planned, and it has an epilogue of sorts on this stuff, but now I'm thinking I should write a proper lecture on this remarkable coming together in Manhattan in the early 80s.
Hello,

This was a great time. I was lucky enough to be living in NYC at this time. You would actually hear No Wave in clubs/bars. You will need to lecture with a live mike and a really long cord to do a James Chance impression on disengaged students.
Ha! I'm envious of you. My No Wave lecture is the one I'm looking forward to the most because (a) I doubt any of them have even heard of it let alone heard people like Lydia Lunch or Arto Lindsay; and (b) it's such an intellectually and artistically rich yet brief moment. As much as my tastes mostly run to UK post-punk groups, it's hard not to see what was happening in near-apocalyptic New York in the 70s and early 80s was so much more fruitful and, fundamentally, influential.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 5:56pm
gkbill wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 5:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

Ha! I'm envious of you. My No Wave lecture is the one I'm looking forward to the most because (a) I doubt any of them have even heard of it let alone heard people like Lydia Lunch or Arto Lindsay; and (b) it's such an intellectually and artistically rich yet brief moment. As much as my tastes mostly run to UK post-punk groups, it's hard not to see what was happening in near-apocalyptic New York in the 70s and early 80s was so much more fruitful and, fundamentally, influential.
It's interesting to think of this happening in NY and also Leeds-based stuff. Was there any cross-pollination, or was it parallel evolution?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 6:50pm
It's interesting to think of this happening in NY and also Leeds-based stuff. Was there any cross-pollination, or was it parallel evolution?
I can't believe there weren't people on each side listening to each other, tho any travel was almost exclusively east to west. A lot of that post-No Wave stuff sounds like Gang of Four if Dave Allen were more prominent in the band than Andy Gill. Plus less Marxian hectoring. But, yeah, the idea of Go4, Au Pairs, and Girls at our Best (even the Pop Group) make a lot of sense aesthetically.

Watched this this weekend. Mesmerizing footage and fantastic performances throughout.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Does anyone have any experience comparing the original CD masters of the Cocteau's albums vs. the 2003/4 Guthrie remasters? I'm reading a lot of bad things about the remasters but they're the only versions I know so I don't have any basis of comparison. I will agree with reviewers that they sound harsh, but again, I don't know if the originals are any better.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 8:43pm
Does anyone have any experience comparing the original CD masters of the Cocteau's albums vs. the 2003/4 Guthrie remasters? I'm reading a lot of bad things about the remasters but they're the only versions I know so I don't have any basis of comparison. I will agree with reviewers that they sound harsh, but again, I don't know if the originals are any better.
You should probably PM CK about this. I lack discernment to tell the difference—I lamely accept that any remasters are better—but he's enough of an obsessive about both the Cocteaus and that kind of sound quality stuff that he'd have a useful opinion.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 9:16pm
Kory wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 8:43pm
You should probably PM CK about this. I lack discernment to tell the difference—I lamely accept that any remasters are better—but he's enough of an obsessive about both the Cocteaus and that kind of sound quality stuff that he'd have a useful opinion.
Will do, thanks!

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Loud. Top 10 material.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200201-220214_Deezer.jpg

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Took me an embarrassingly long time to realise it's not "Shit, I could lose you," in the chorus.

One fine fucker of a song though.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200203-215547_Deezer.jpg

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Tom's on a good day. :cool:

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 6:11pm
I'm still here and I've got the Grease soundtrack on.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Today I'm listening to Refused, At the Drive-In, and (International) Noise Conspiracy, and none of them are really interesting me that much. Time to check out Frodus again.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 6:28pm
Today I'm listening to Refused, At the Drive-In, and (International) Noise Conspiracy, and none of them are really interesting me that much. Time to check out Frodus again.
Poliça has a new one out. Listened to it (albeit semi-distractedly) and it sounded decent to me.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 6:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 6:11pm
I'm still here and I've got the Grease soundtrack on.
You can do (and have done) so much worse. Nothing I'd never choose to listen to, but my family had the 8-track so I'm sure there'd be a nostalgic appeal for me.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 6:34pm
Kory wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 6:28pm
Poliça has a new one out. Listened to it (albeit semi-distractedly) and it sounded decent to me.
I picked it up on Saturday, waiting for a good moment to listen when i can devote myself to it. I'm glad it's out, it seems from interviews with Channy that they were on the verge of calling it quits even before her accident.