What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Sparky »

BitterTom wrote:
09 Oct 2021, 3:30pm
Heston wrote:
07 Oct 2021, 6:53pm
Two cracking tunes there Tom. I've been playing the fuck out of "When You're Young" lately, it's just one of those perfect songs. The Jam from mid 78 til mid 1980 went on a hell of a run.
Yeah it certainly is, that second pre chorus beginning with "it's got you in its grip before you're born," is musical perfection for me. Great harmony, love the chord progression and those rising guitar frets at the end... new trousers please.
Agreed, great song, fantastic lyrics. I always liked the line "why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam".
Being in the US, it was an import single with an electric version of "Smithers-Jones" on the flip side, which I've always thought would have been the better version for the "Setting Sons" as opposed to the strings version from the LP.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
Heston wrote:
Two cracking tunes there Tom. I've been playing the fuck out of "When You're Young" lately, it's just one of those perfect songs. The Jam from mid 78 til mid 1980 went on a hell of a run.
Yeah it certainly is, that second pre chorus beginning with "it's got you in its grip before you're born," is musical perfection for me. Great harmony, love the chord progression and those rising guitar frets at the end... new trousers please.
Agree with every word of that, especially the rising guitar frets. The intertwined guitar work after the bridge is amazing.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Sparky wrote:
09 Oct 2021, 7:28pm
BitterTom wrote:
Heston wrote:
Agreed, great song, fantastic lyrics. I always liked the line "why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam".
Being in the US, it was an import single with an electric version of "Smithers-Jones" on the flip side, which I've always thought would have been the better version for the "Setting Sons" as opposed to the strings version from the LP.
Yep, I've always thought that about Smithers-Jones, swap the versions and Setting Sons would be a near perfect album.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Heston wrote:
09 Oct 2021, 10:40pm
BitterTom wrote:
Heston wrote:
Agree with every word of that, especially the rising guitar frets. The intertwined guitar work after the bridge is amazing.
The Jam are a band I go back to about once a year and completely binge their discography, always forget how good they were. Even This Is The Modern World has grown on me, Standards, In The Street Today and I Need You (For Someone) are quality tracks.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BitterTom wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 5:00am
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Heston wrote:
The Jam are a band I go back to about once a year and completely binge their discography, always forget how good they were. Even This Is The Modern World has grown on me, Standards, In The Street Today and I Need You (For Someone) are quality tracks.
"I Need You (For Someone)" was their first US single. With "In The City" as the B-side.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

BitterTom wrote:
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Heston wrote:
"This Is The Modern World" was the first Jam album I ever heard and bought, although not their strongest, I loved it then and still do. My favorite though is still "Setting Sons", amazing album, never gets old listening to it.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Sparky wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 9:18am
BitterTom wrote:
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Heston wrote:
"This Is The Modern World" was the first Jam album I ever heard and bought, although not their strongest, I loved it then and still do. My favorite though is still "Setting Sons", amazing album, never gets old listening to it.
Setting Sons and All Mod Cons are insanely good albums though I have to agree that Sons just edges into the lead for me. Private Hell, Thick as Thieves and Burning Sky are 3 of my favourites, not just within The Jam's catalogue, but of all time.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Marky Dread wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 5:51am
BitterTom wrote:
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Heston wrote:
"I Need You (For Someone)" was their first US single. With "In The City" as the B-side.

Odd choice for a debut single, especially as In The City actually featured though just on the B-side. The power and energy, not just of the music but lyrically too should have made it an easy decision which to lead the single.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Threw on Setting Sons today, great fiery collection.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BitterTom wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 10:19am
Marky Dread wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 5:51am
BitterTom wrote:
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

Odd choice for a debut single, especially as In The City actually featured though just on the B-side. The power and energy, not just of the music but lyrically too should have made it an easy decision which to lead the single.
1977 was all about silk jackets and hits.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Found an unopened copy of this at a used bookstore today for cheap and holy hell is this good stuff.

Edit: fuck it, I give up. It’s sideways now.
Attachments
1A335288-69E9-415F-99C7-557D72162E32.jpeg
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
14 Oct 2021, 8:23pm
Found an unopened copy of this at a used bookstore today for cheap and holy hell is this good stuff.

For mysterious reasons, if you double-click on the image, it opens in a new window/tab with the correct orientation. I blame Inder. But that is a solid document of crucial post-war African-American music.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
14 Oct 2021, 8:23pm

Brilliant comp/box set Wolt. Nice find. :approve:
Attachments
20211015_120637.jpg

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

This.
Attachments
R-19366615-1625331619-7660.jpeg.jpg
R-19366615-1625331619-7660.jpeg.jpg (131.25 KiB) Viewed 1312 times
R-19366615-1625331619-1260.jpeg.jpg
R-19366615-1625331619-1260.jpeg.jpg (127.73 KiB) Viewed 1312 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Oct 2021, 7:20am
This.
Oh that looks good.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"