What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by revbob »

Feeling this today 25 and snowing...

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

So, just wondering if any of you guys know about this band or have heard of them. Way back in the mists of time, when I was 22 (in 1994) I spent 3 months in Mexico on an archaeological project, employed as an illustrator for $6/hour. I would hang out at a small Mexican pub in the city of Zacatecas with my buddy Juan (whose mother did the cooking for our crew - good ol’ Juan). I heard these songs on their sound system. A Mexican girl I spent time with (Laura, sweet Laura) bought me one of their CDs, which I still have. The band is called Soda Stereo, from Argentina, and they were HUGE in Latin America. I still listen to these songs occasionally, many years later, and I love them. Has anyone here heard of Soda Stereo? Are they known in the English-speaking world? Just curious if anyone here has any knowledge of them. These are 2 of my favorites:

Primavera Cero

Luna Roja

The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Ok, no comment on Soda Stereo? Don’t make me bust out some Juan Gabriel on yer asses!

Vienes O Voy

Pero Que Necesidad

Ok, pretty sure Juan Gabriel was in his “Fat Elvis” stage at this point, but whatever.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Kimmelweck wrote:
12 Mar 2023, 6:14am
So, just wondering if any of you guys know about this band or have heard of them. Way back in the mists of time, when I was 22 (in 1994) I spent 3 months in Mexico on an archaeological project, employed as an illustrator for $6/hour. I would hang out at a small Mexican pub in the city of Zacatecas with my buddy Juan (whose mother did the cooking for our crew - good ol’ Juan). I heard these songs on their sound system. A Mexican girl I spent time with (Laura, sweet Laura) bought me one of their CDs, which I still have. The band is called Soda Stereo, from Argentina, and they were HUGE in Latin America. I still listen to these songs occasionally, many years later, and I love them. Has anyone here heard of Soda Stereo? Are they known in the English-speaking world? Just curious if anyone here has any knowledge of them. These are 2 of my favorites:

Primavera Cero

Luna Roja

Hello (Hola?),

These guys are pretty good! I'm surprised I haven't heard of them. I'm guessing they may not have had a desire to be big in America because I'm betting they could have established a presence.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

gkbill wrote:
12 Mar 2023, 12:51pm
Kimmelweck wrote:

Primavera Cero

Luna Roja

Hello (Hola?),

These guys are pretty good! I'm surprised I haven't heard of them. I'm guessing they may not have had a desire to be big in America because I'm betting they could have established a presence.
Hola GKGuillermo!

Yeah I’ve liked Soda Stereo for almost 30 years. They formed in 1982, the best-selling band in Argentina history. The lead singer Gustavo Cerati died in 2014 but the remaining members toured as recently as 2022. I don’t understand most of what they’re singing as my Spanish is very limited, but I like their music. These guys were fans of The Police, The Beatles, XTC, Elvis Costello, Talking Heads, Television – stuff like that (according to wikipedia).

The first song on this album (Outlandos d’Americas: A Tribute to the Police, 2000) is Cerati from Soda Stereo performing Bring on the Night with Andy Summers. This whole album is pretty cool actually:

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Kimmelweck wrote:
12 Mar 2023, 11:02pm
gkbill wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:

Primavera Cero

Luna Roja

Hello (Hola?),

Hola GKGuillermo!

Yeah I’ve liked Soda Stereo for almost 30 years. They formed in 1982, the best-selling band in Argentina history. The lead singer Gustavo Cerati died in 2014 but the remaining members toured as recently as 2022. I don’t understand most of what they’re singing as my Spanish is very limited, but I like their music. These guys were fans of The Police, The Beatles, XTC, Elvis Costello, Talking Heads, Television – stuff like that (according to wikipedia).

The first song on this album (Outlandos d’Americas: A Tribute to the Police, 2000) is Cerati from Soda Stereo performing Bring on the Night with Andy Summers. This whole album is pretty cool actually:

Hola,

I'm pissed for not knowing more of Latin music. This interpretation is great as it retains much of the original yet imposes much of their interpretation of the song.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

gkbill wrote:
12 Mar 2023, 11:31pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
12 Mar 2023, 11:02pm
gkbill wrote:
Hello (Hola?),

Hola GKGuillermo!

Hola,

I'm pissed for not knowing more of Latin music. This interpretation is great as it retains much of the original yet imposes much of their interpretation of the song.

Yeah that's not bad.

To continue with the Spanish theme, I heard this one on the International Clash Day show on KEXP last year. This is a Puerto Rican band. Don't know more about them, but I liked this song.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sarah Harmer, You Were Here. I adore this woman, both for her music (somewhere between country and folk, with a foot still in left-of-centre rock where she started) and her environmental activism. This stuff is wistful, comforting, melancholy.

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

new to me....

Music is the only thing that matters

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Red Angel wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 11:52am
new to me....

I’ve seen other videos of Mick performing Rock the Casbah with Rachid Taha before, but yeah, it's great.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

20230325_103501.jpg
This came in the mail yesterday along with some cool stickers. Its a welcome punch in the face from first track to last. Not for SRPs.
Flex you need this!

Stronger Together Vol. 1 is a compilation of bands from around the world highlighting women hardcore! THIS IS A CHARITY PROJECT with all profits being donated to Global Fund for Women- an international organization that promotes gender equality in over 150 countries. Women of the Pit are releasing this album thru Upstate Records.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Killing Joke, Brighter Than a Thousand Suns. This is the version with the original Kimsey mixes, which offers a little more snarl, rather than the version that came out, which sounds like OMD trying to be tough. I've slightly warmed to this record in its content, but as a Killing Joke record it's kinda wincing.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Idlewild, 100 Broken Windows. I bang the drum every so often about this being the best album you assholes have never heard and apparently I'm doing it again tonight. Well, it's true. Their best album hands down, still in the noisy punks camp than the more refined indie band they'd become, but with a better sense of what they were doing than on their first record. It's the first album of theirs I heard and I still get flashes of my reaction that, holy fuck, these guys are excellent. Anyway, you should listen to this instead of KISS or Steely Dan.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Mar 2023, 7:36pm
Idlewild, 100 Broken Windows. I bang the drum every so often about this being the best album you assholes have never heard and apparently I'm doing it again tonight. Well, it's true. Their best album hands down, still in the noisy punks camp than the more refined indie band they'd become, but with a better sense of what they were doing than on their first record. It's the first album of theirs I heard and I still get flashes of my reaction that, holy fuck, these guys are excellent. Anyway, you should listen to this instead of KISS or Steely Dan.
You say all of this but we all know who you would rather be listening to.