What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by BitterTom »

Kory wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 4:38pm
BitterTom wrote:
22 Feb 2020, 6:07pm
Funky as fuck.
Very funky indeed. Have you heard this yet? You probably have, it's pretty popular at the moment. I'm obsessed with the bassline.

Heaven would be to just silence out all but the bass with this song. Very nice indeed.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Yesterday I gave a lecture on No Wave and afterwards a student emailed me to ask whether I'd heard of Chandra Oppenheim. The name was vaguely familiar, but, no, I didn't know who she was. Found out she fronted a post-No Wave band at age 12(!) and they cut one ep in 1980 then vanished. The ep was re-released in 2018, with four unreleased songs and two demos that weren't formally recorded. And it's fantastic stuff. The original ep suggests she listened to Metal Box, plus I can hear Romeo Void and even, kinda sorta, the B-52's. I continue to be amazed at how much cool stuff was recorded in that period that basically fell under everyone's radar and is just waiting to be discovered now that we've all caught up. Highly recommended.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 2:19pm
Yesterday I gave a lecture on No Wave and afterwards a student emailed me to ask whether I'd heard of Chandra Oppenheim. The name was vaguely familiar, but, no, I didn't know who she was. Found out she fronted a post-No Wave band at age 12(!) and they cut one ep in 1980 then vanished. The ep was re-released in 2018, with four unreleased songs and two demos that weren't formally recorded. And it's fantastic stuff. The original ep suggests she listened to Metal Box, plus I can hear Romeo Void and even, kinda sorta, the B-52's. I continue to be amazed at how much cool stuff was recorded in that period that basically fell under everyone's radar and is just waiting to be discovered now that we've all caught up. Highly recommended.
Based on how you've described your students, I'm surprised they knew about this.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 2:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Based on how you've described your students, I'm surprised they knew about this.
This one is different. Smart, fronts her own band, very into late 70s, early 80s music, so she already knew a lot of what I was talking about yesterday. She's a rare student who's asked me for a reading list for post-graduation because she wants to better critically appreciate the history of rock music.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 2:41pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
This one is different. Smart, fronts her own band, very into late 70s, early 80s music, so she already knew a lot of what I was talking about yesterday. She's a rare student who's asked me for a reading list for post-graduation because she wants to better critically appreciate the history of rock music.
Do you find that there's maybe one in every crowd, or is this quite out of the ordinary?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 3:05pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Do you find that there's maybe one in every crowd, or is this quite out of the ordinary?
She's a definitely a rarity. I've certainly had excellent students, but someone with that kind of interest in marginal and old music, plus a strong interest in thinking about it critically, is unusual. Most are only interested in the lectures about music they already like, but she seems a lot more omnivorous and wanting to be challenged. There aren't many people who have that appetite.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 3:21pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
She's a definitely a rarity. I've certainly had excellent students, but someone with that kind of interest in marginal and old music, plus a strong interest in thinking about it critically, is unusual. Most are only interested in the lectures about music they already like, but she seems a lot more omnivorous and wanting to be challenged. There aren't many people who have that appetite.
Obviously the daughter of an IMCTer poor child.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 3:47pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

She doesn't seem touched enough by cynicism to qualify for here.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 4:03pm
101Walterton wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 3:47pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

She doesn't seem touched enough by cynicism to qualify for here.
Give it time.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Prince - '1999' (1982; box set remaster 2019. Original album; 2 discs of demos/outtakes; one disc of b-sides and dance/radio mixes; one live show; one different DVD live show).).
The new gold standard for how individual albums should be be re-packaged. Testimony as to how The Man consolidated funk and post-punk and changed the pop musical landscape for the better. Even with the somewhat dated instrumentation technology, this shit still sounds like it could have been recorded five minutes ago.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

muppet hi fi wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 2:26am
Prince - '1999' (1982; box set remaster 2019. Original album; 2 discs of demos/outtakes; one disc of b-sides and dance/radio mixes; one live show; one different DVD live show).).
The new gold standard for how individual albums should be be re-packaged. Testimony as to how The Man consolidated funk and post-punk and changed the pop musical landscape for the better. Even with the somewhat dated instrumentation technology, this shit still sounds like it could have been recorded five minutes ago.
Why oh why can't the Clash do something approaching this?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Subnormal Girls - DIY/Post Punk 1979-83 Vol. 1. That student recommendation led me to this 3-disc compilation that, so far, is amazing. Further evidence that the real gold is in those groups who lasted only long enough to put out a 7" or ep. Walking home, I played this five times straight:

Highly recommended to Korys and Markys.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 2:37pm
Subnormal Girls - DIY/Post Punk 1979-83 Vol. 1. That student recommendation led me to this 3-disc compilation that, so far, is amazing. Further evidence that the real gold is in those groups who lasted only long enough to put out a 7" or ep. Walking home, I played this five times straight:

Highly recommended to Korys and Markys.
In the Slits vein sounds interesting.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yeah I hear the B-52's influence on the track "Subways". The EP is really good.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Waco Brothers/Paul Burch - Great Chicago Fire. I don't like country music but I really like the Waco Brothers. They have a new album out (Resist) - haven't heard it yet - but it made me want to dig these out again. This is punk/country, if not punk country.