What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Over the past couple weeks I keep coming back to this one. I'm not a huge power pop fan—it leans too much to meathead arena rock—but this one seems to punch the right buttons for me. None of their other records that I've heard have done much for me, tho.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

While the record doesn't surpass their first two, I don't think Richard Butler's voice has ever sounded better. Which is a damned weird thing, no? A rock singer's voice shouldn't be better in their 60s. I'm sure there's some studio augmentation or masking here and there, but, dang, he's just superb here.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Feb 2023, 6:46pm
While the record doesn't surpass their first two, I don't think Richard Butler's voice has ever sounded better. Which is a damned weird thing, no? A rock singer's voice shouldn't be better in their 60s. I'm sure there's some studio augmentation or masking here and there, but, dang, he's just superb here.
Yeah he sounds great on that album.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Feb 2023, 7:47pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Do you think it's studio trickery or what have you or has he really taken good care of himself? Like, it's even odder because he has a raspy voice, which you wouldn't think would improve with age.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Feb 2023, 7:58pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Do you think it's studio trickery or what have you or has he really taken good care of himself? Like, it's even odder because he has a raspy voice, which you wouldn't think would improve with age.
Hello,

I agree his voice wouldn't improve with age but would it be easier to maintain due to it's raspy tone?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Don't think it's any trickery. He still sounds good live.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
22 Feb 2023, 10:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

I agree his voice wouldn't improve with age but would it be easier to maintain due to it's raspy tone?
I wouldn't think so (but I'm happy to be corrected). Something already rough is going to have a harder time being pleasantly raspy and go more quickly to three-pack-a-day aunt Zelda quality.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Feb 2023, 5:25am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Don't think it's any trickery. He still sounds good live.

Remarkable.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

1280x1280.jpg
The recently released new LP by The Church, The Hypnogogue. It's deep, dense, post-punk psychedelia. Steve Kilbey's lyrics are still cryptic and weird. The band musically has been reinvigorated with the addition of 2 new members, giving this LP maybe their best guitar work in years. This band is wonderfully confounding because 40 years into their career, they continue to sound new, while also not letting go of what makes them classic.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 11:30am
1280x1280.jpg

The recently released new LP by The Church, The Hypnogogue. It's deep, dense, post-punk psychedelia. Steve Kilbey's lyrics are still cryptic and weird. The band musically has been reinvigorated with the addition of 2 new members, giving this LP maybe their best guitar work in years. This band is wonderfully confounding because 40 years into their career, they continue to sound new, while also not letting go of what makes them classic.
Cool I'll be checking this out.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 1:26pm
WestwayKid wrote:
1280x1280.jpg

I've been playing the heck out of it.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 3:30pm
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
1280x1280.jpg

Sounds like it's a real return to form?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 5:04pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
1280x1280.jpg

Did they have a dip? I haven't listened to all of the newest stuff yet but my perception among fans is that they've been pretty consistent.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
1280x1280.jpg

I've read a couple of reviews calling it that, but to be honest, I loved their last couple of albums. It was a bummer when Marty left, but Ian Haug was a great addition, and now with Jeffrey Cain and Ashley Naylor added to the lineup, they're sounding formidable, I've been a fan since Gold Afternoon Fix back in the 90's and as they've aged, I've expected a downward slide at some point because that happens, right? It's never happened with this band. They just keep existing in this timeless space.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Kory wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 6:00pm
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
1280x1280.jpg

Did they have a dip? I haven't listened to all of the newest stuff yet but my perception among fans is that they've been pretty consistent.
No dip at all (in my opinion). Peter Koppes left a few years back and they've replaced him with 2 new members, so they're currently a quintet. Like I mentioned to Marky, as a longtime fan, I've expected a slide at some point, but they just remain consistently strong.