What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 3:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 11:42am
Marky Dread wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 11:40am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 8:58am
revbob wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 8:48am

No doubt. I blame Duran Duran
I … can't rule that out. What a strange thing to consider. If I hadn’t bought that Seven and the Ragged Tiger cassette, would I be a military strongman in Surinam?
The thing is you don't get The Clash or Sex Pistols without Yes or ELP. ;)
Thank fuck I didn't personally have to work my way thru Yes and ELP before I got to the Clash and Pistols.
That's what older brothers are for.
My actual older brother was into shitty 1970s country.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 8:38am

Maybe if I'd had encouragement during my formative years I wouldn't be the misshapen monster before you!
I … can't rule that out. What a strange thing to consider. If I hadn’t bought that Seven and the Ragged Tiger cassette, would I be a military strongman in Surinam?
Thank fuck I didn't personally have to work my way thru Yes and ELP before I got to the Clash and Pistols.
Yeah I was lucky in a sense that I listened to good music right from an early age. My mum had some good/great 7" singles that I basically made mine.

Small Faces -All or Nothing
Yardbirds -Evil Hearted You (My first single)
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - Rolling Stones
You Really Got Me - The Kinks
All Day and All of the Night - The Kinks
Teenage Rampage/Blockbuster/Ballroom Blitz - The Sweet
Children of the Revolution - T. Rex
20th Century Boy - T. Rex

I had no time for long winded guitar solos.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 4:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Yeah I was lucky in a sense that I listened to good music right from an early age. My mum had some good/great 7" singles that I basically made mine.

I inherited from my older siblings a box of 45’s. They’d since moved out, but left those records. Lots of early British Invasion stuff, some Elvis, some girl groups stuff. Played those things over and over (“Over and Over” by the DC5 was in there) even tho I only sort of heard of the Beatles and Elvis (I was, like, 8 at the time).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

My older cousin got me into Dave :cool:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 5:11pm
Yeah, older cousins do tend to be abusive just because they can.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
Is he in prison now?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 5:07pm
Marky Dread wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 4:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I inherited from my older siblings a box of 45’s. They’d since moved out, but left those records. Lots of early British Invasion stuff, some Elvis, some girl groups stuff. Played those things over and over (“Over and Over” by the DC5 was in there) even tho I only sort of heard of the Beatles and Elvis (I was, like, 8 at the time).
Nice. I was the first born so I had no older siblings. But my two younger brothers got to hear great music. My sister was way too young. I was 18 when she was born. I would take her out for walks in her pram.and people would think I was her dad.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 5:38pm
I was the first born so I had no older siblings. But my two younger brothers got to hear great music. My sister was way too young. I was 18 when she was born. I would take her out for walks in her pram.and people would think I was her dad.
I had it the other way around. By oldest sister was born in '47 and I was born in '69 (I was, um, an accident—a horrible, horrible accident). Tho I have five older siblings, all but one had moved out by the time I came along (my closest sib is six years older).

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
I know a guy :shifty: just sayin.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 6:25pm
Flex wrote:
Your backing-in neighbour?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 5:47pm
Marky Dread wrote:
I was the first born so I had no older siblings. But my two younger brothers got to hear great music. My sister was way too young. I was 18 when she was born. I would take her out for walks in her pram.and people would think I was her dad.
I had it the other way around. By oldest sister was born in '47 and I was born in '69 (I was, um, an accident—a horrible, horrible accident). Tho I have five older siblings, all but one had moved out by the time I came along (my closest sib is six years older).
Definitely not a horrible accident mate. Like my sister unplanned but never horrible. I'm 58 my brothers are 56 and 50 respectively. My sister is 40. My younger brother and sister from my stepfather. My father as I've mentioned here previously died in 1970 when I was 6 and my brother was 4.

I also have another sister who is 52 from my stepfather's first marriage. I don't consider any of them half-sisters or half-brothers. Just brothers and sisters and I love them all. Hurt them at your peril.

But back to the music none of them are huge music fans like me. I'm totally obsessed by music and completely absorbed by it. A life without it would seriously suck. It focuses me and makes me think.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 6:30pm
revbob wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 6:25pm
Flex wrote:
Your backing-in neighbour?
Proof you can't trust anyone these days.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 6:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 5:47pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Definitely not a horrible accident mate. Like my sister unplanned but never horrible. I'm 58 my brothers are 56 and 50 respectively. My sister is 40. My younger brother and sister from my stepfather. My father as I've mentioned here previously died in 1970 when I was 6 and my brother was 4.

I also have another sister who is 52 from my stepfather's first marriage. I don't consider any of them half-sisters or half-brothers. Just brothers and sisters and I love them all. Hurt them at your peril.
I like all my siblings individually—as a group, they have me running for the exits—but I don't have a whole lot in common. Our conversations generally mean I'm compromising a lot of my interests.
But back to the music none of them are huge music fans like me. I'm totally obsessed by music and completely absorbed by it. A life without it would seriously suck. It focuses me and makes me think.
We reach. There are many days when I can't believe I get to blah blah about that stuff for my job. It's entertainment/therapeutical, but it's always my means of thinking about more serious questions about modern life. That's one of the things I value about this community—y'all get that in a way that normies don't.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

25 years on and it's still an amazing album (as in a complete piece), in some ways even more contemporary-feeling. Anxiety, dread, sadness, bitterness all over the place. That it sold a gorillion copies to boot is all the more remarkable.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Oct 2022, 1:54pm
25 years on and it's still an amazing album (as in a complete piece), in some ways even more contemporary-feeling. Anxiety, dread, sadness, bitterness all over the place. That it sold a gorillion copies to boot is all the more remarkable.
I've not heard this reissue. Is it any different?

OKNOTOK?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia