What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Oct 2022, 2:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Oct 2022, 1:54pm
25 years on and it's still an amazing album (as in a complete piece), in some ways even more contemporary-feeling. Anxiety, dread, sadness, bitterness all over the place. That it sold a gorillion copies to boot is all the more remarkable.
I've not heard this reissue. Is it any different?

OKNOTOK?
Regular album, some of the better b-sides from the singles, and three(?) unreleased songs. "Lift" is the most striking, but it's a bit too upbeat for the album so I get why it was left off at the time.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Oct 2022, 2:50pm
Marky Dread wrote:
27 Oct 2022, 2:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 years on and it's still an amazing album (as in a complete piece), in some ways even more contemporary-feeling. Anxiety, dread, sadness, bitterness all over the place. That it sold a gorillion copies to boot is all the more remarkable.
I've not heard this reissue. Is it any different?

OKNOTOK?
Regular album, some of the better b-sides from the singles, and three(?) unreleased songs. "Lift" is the most striking, but it's a bit too upbeat for the album so I get why it was left off at the time.
Lift sounds decent. I agree maybe not in keeping with the feel with the album though.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

I'm fairly new to funky New Orleans brass bands but have found this comp to be really great.

Ultimate New Orleans Brass Second Line Funk!

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

While doing a digital digging through the crates, I came across this:

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
I tend to be on the Wolt side of things with this band, but everybody is surprised to hear I don’t like them. What am I missing?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Double p.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
29 Oct 2022, 9:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I tend to be on the Wolt side of things with this band, but everybody is surprised to hear I don’t like them. What am I missing?
Wait, I thought you were a fan. I seem to recall you raving about the last album.

(In all honesty, this record is the only one of theirs I love. Everything else is bits and pieces. I couldn't name most of the songs from anything after OK Computer. But it is an absolutely monumental statement of an album, especially coming amidst the bullshit 90s triumphalism.)
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Oct 2022, 9:29pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wait, I thought you were a fan. I seem to recall you raving about the last album.

(In all honesty, this record is the only one of theirs I love. Everything else is bits and pieces. I couldn't name most of the songs from anything after OK Computer. But it is an absolutely monumental statement of an album, especially coming amidst the bullshit 90s triumphalism.)
That definitely wasn’t me, I don’t even know what it’s called. I’ll try this one again.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
30 Oct 2022, 7:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Oct 2022, 9:29pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

That definitely wasn’t me, I don’t even know what it’s called. I’ll try this one again.
Weird. Somewhere along the line, I slotted you as one of the very few Radiohead backers here. Like, I'm quite conditional but one of their stronger proponents. But I'll go to my grave believing OKC is a seriously fucking important album, even if it's also their high water mark.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

This reissue. Time of Her Time is so good.
Attachments
1eb7479d.jpeg.jpg
1eb7479d.jpeg.jpg (35.43 KiB) Viewed 714 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

American Hi-Fi, S/T. A bit of a guilty pleasure. Dumb, by-the-numbers, very commercial power pop, but it's one of those things where I dug it the first time I heard it and those positive impressions still stick.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Nov 2022, 5:26pm
American Hi-Fi, S/T. A bit of a guilty pleasure. Dumb, by-the-numbers, very commercial power pop, but it's one of those things where I dug it the first time I heard it and those positive impressions still stick.
I have that and the follow up. Both are fun listens if a bit obvious.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Nov 2022, 7:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Nov 2022, 5:26pm
I have that and the follow up. Both are fun listens if a bit obvious.
Right—as I said, a bit of a guilty pleasure because it's working a playbook. But, yeah, whatever, it's fun stuff.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Just me and revbob grooving to some laid-back tunes and harmonies. :cool:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 3:04pm
Just me and revbob grooving to some laid-back tunes and harmonies. :cool:
It really lets my inner SRP shine.