What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 May 2019, 10:01pm
Marky Dread wrote:
24 May 2019, 9:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 May 2019, 8:34pm
Heston wrote:
24 May 2019, 8:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 May 2019, 8:21pm

I so love your story of early adolescent trauma. It is perfectly stupid yet perfectly real and relatable.
Yeah, but at least I never wore unisex jeans with no back pockets to school. That would be traumatising, see a shrink for life stuff.
:oops: My life has been about recovering (and failing) from that moment.
I remember back in the 70s when I asked my mum for some patch pocket trousers to wear to school as lots of kids were wearing them and they were that weeks fashion. My mum says I've got a friend who's a seamstress she'll make you a pair. So I'm thinking great and throw away my old school trousers that had seen better days. The weekend passes and the new trousers arrive and boy these trousers were the most hideous thing I have ever seen. They were made from some sort of crimpolene material I knew in an instance that I was in for the most piss taking day of my life. I get on the school bus and the sniggering starts get to school and the finger pointing starts man I just want a huge hole to open up and swallow me. All day comments "hey you who made your trousers the local council?" by mid afternoon I had enough one lad opens his mouth once too often so I fill it with my fist. Straight to the headmasters office who is threatening to expel me. He wants to know what the fight is over so I show him my trousers and the fucker takes one look at them and starts laughing. I get home that evening and rescue my old trousers from the bin and hid the new ones under my bed. Eventually throwing them in the bin and telling my mum I couldn't find them. She suggested getting her friend to make me another pair. Somehow I managed to avoid getting another pair but the whole thing traumatised me for a while. Thank fuck there were no pictures taken of me wearing those fuckers! I was 11 at the time and thank fuck punk was just around the corner.
Oof. I knew a couple kids growing up who wore homemade jeans. Not good. In retrospect, man, kids are hard bastards in terms of enforcing pants orthodoxy.
Ain't nothing crueller than kids.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 May 2019, 10:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
24 May 2019, 8:32pm

Yeah, but at least I never wore unisex jeans with no back pockets to school. That would be traumatising, see a shrink for life stuff.
I remember back in the 70s when I asked my mum for some patch pocket trousers to wear to school as lots of kids were wearing them and they were that weeks fashion. My mum says I've got a friend who's a seamstress she'll make you a pair. So I'm thinking great and throw away my old school trousers that had seen better days. The weekend passes and the new trousers arrive and boy these trousers were the most hideous thing I have ever seen. They were made from some sort of crimpolene material I knew in an instance that I was in for the most piss taking day of my life. I get on the school bus and the sniggering starts get to school and the finger pointing starts man I just want a huge hole to open up and swallow me. All day comments "hey you who made your trousers the local council?" by mid afternoon I had enough one lad opens his mouth once too often so I fill it with my fist. Straight to the headmasters office who is threatening to expel me. He wants to know what the fight is over so I show him my trousers and the fucker takes one look at them and starts laughing. I get home that evening and rescue my old trousers from the bin and hid the new ones under my bed. Eventually throwing them in the bin and telling my mum I couldn't find them. She suggested getting her friend to make me another pair. Somehow I managed to avoid getting another pair but the whole thing traumatised me for a while. Thank fuck there were no pictures taken of me wearing those fuckers! I was 11 at the time and thank fuck punk was just around the corner.
Oof. I knew a couple kids growing up who wore homemade jeans. Not good. In retrospect, man, kids are hard bastards in terms of enforcing pants orthodoxy.
I remember a kid at junior school who would carry a ruler to measure the heels on your wedges. Again thank fuck punk came along and we all swapped to Docs.
Conforming to pack mentality is so much easier and safer as a kid. Respect to those that break the molds.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
24 May 2019, 10:33pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I remember a kid at junior school who would carry a ruler to measure the heels on your wedges. Again thank fuck punk came along and we all swapped to Docs.
Conforming to pack mentality is so much easier and safer as a kid. Respect to those that break the molds.
Fitting in was never easy. There were some real wealthy kids in my school who had cross country motorbikes at 13 . No way my mum could compete with that and I'm real glad she didn't try.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 May 2019, 10:51pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Fitting in was never easy. There were some real wealthy kids in my school who had cross country motorbikes at 13 . No way my mum could compete with that and I'm real glad she didn't try.
Yeah I was thinking more haircut than motorbikes 😳

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
There were some real wealthy kids in my school who had cross country motorbikes at 13 . No way my mum could compete with that and I'm real glad she didn't try.
Heh, around the same age there were a bunch of guys who had mini bikes, including some friends. It didn't interest me at all, but one friend was desperate to get one and always talked about how his parents would be getting him one next month. Month after month, nothing but excuses. It wasn't that his parents couldn't afford it, they just thought it was too dangerous. Total obsession for him.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
25 May 2019, 12:54am
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yeah I was thinking more haircut than motorbikes 😳
Same here.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 May 2019, 6:04am
Marky Dread wrote:
There were some real wealthy kids in my school who had cross country motorbikes at 13 . No way my mum could compete with that and I'm real glad she didn't try.
Heh, around the same age there were a bunch of guys who had mini bikes, including some friends. It didn't interest me at all, but one friend was desperate to get one and always talked about how his parents would be getting him one next month. Month after month, nothing but excuses. It wasn't that his parents couldn't afford it, they just thought it was too dangerous. Total obsession for him.
These guys were real spoilt brats. I would go to their houses occasionally and just be stunned by the amount of stuff they had and they always wanted more. I was lucky if I got what I would be liked for Xmas let alone every weekend.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 May 2019, 7:34am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
These guys were real spoilt brats. I would go to their houses occasionally and just be stunned by the amount of stuff they had and they always wanted more. I was lucky if I got what I would be liked for Xmas let alone every weekend.
It was odd growing up because my much older siblings, who'd all moved out by then, thought I was spoiled because my parents were now more prosperous, which meant I got a bigger allowance. But my friends all had more toys and better clothes than me because my parents, having come from rough circumstances, refused to be that extravagant. So I was spoiled but not spoiled.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
I was just lucky to get liked at Christmas

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

coffeepotman wrote:
25 May 2019, 8:30am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Whoa, childhood just got dark.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 May 2019, 7:58am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
It was odd growing up because my much older siblings, who'd all moved out by then, thought I was spoiled because my parents were now more prosperous, which meant I got a bigger allowance. But my friends all had more toys and better clothes than me because my parents, having come from rough circumstances, refused to be that extravagant. So I was spoiled but not spoiled.
An allowance we called pocket money. I got 50p when I was 12 and thought it was the best thing ever. Just save for two weeks and I could get a least 1 7" single.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

coffeepotman wrote:
25 May 2019, 8:30am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Hey brother Santa loves you.😊

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 May 2019, 10:58am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
An allowance we called pocket money. I got 50p when I was 12 and thought it was the best thing ever. Just save for two weeks and I could get a least 1 7" single.
I don't remember how much I got—tho I know friends got considerably more—but it was usually enough to cover my comics each week plus candy. By the time I got into music, I had a paper route.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 May 2019, 11:12am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I don't remember how much I got—tho I know friends got considerably more—but it was usually enough to cover my comics each week plus candy. By the time I got into music, I had a paper route.
I do remember getting the early PotA mags around '75 . Strange they were the last thing I cared about before I got into punk.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 May 2019, 11:21am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 May 2019, 11:12am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I do remember getting the early PotA mags around '75 . Strange they were the last thing I cared about before I got into punk.
I've dl'd scans of most (all?) of them, if you're interested in reliving your pre-punk existence.