What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
laxman
Unknown Immortal

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 11:36am
dave202 wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 10:17am
I've just 'Satellite Life' by Billy MacKenzie through the post, the 3cd release on Cherry Red of the former Associates recordings from 1994-96. So far, it is great. I was surprised to spot someone I know played guitar on a few tracks, something he's never let on to me about.
😎

I've been very tempted to get the "Sulk" reissue.
I'm waiting for Satellite Life to arrive. Laxwife is a fan. I think there are some great tracks on those solo CDs. I think his version of Wild is the wind is incredible. What a voice.

Marky, you are tempting me too now!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 3:11pm
Marky Dread wrote:
dave202 wrote:
I've just 'Satellite Life' by Billy MacKenzie through the post, the 3cd release on Cherry Red of the former Associates recordings from 1994-96. So far, it is great. I was surprised to spot someone I know played guitar on a few tracks, something he's never let on to me about.
😎

I'm waiting for Satellite Life to arrive. Laxwife is a fan. I think there are some great tracks on those solo CDs. I think his version of Wild is the wind is incredible. What a voice.

Marky, you are tempting me too now!
:mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Just Mustard, Wednesday. Thanks to Kory's recent Packet of Threes offering, I've hunted down the album and it is fucking fantastic. Sorta shoegaze, sorta noise, sorta dark post-punk (if you told me it was from 1981, I might bite). I'm going to be listening to this a lot over the next few weeks.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

This might be better than the studio record. These guys are immediately on my favourite new bands list. So, so fucking good.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Marky Dread wrote:
dave202 wrote:
😎

I have that on pre-order with an extra cd ep of 'Party Fears Two.' The release date has been put back a couple of months now, so sometime in July.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

dave202 wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 11:45am
Marky Dread wrote:
dave202 wrote:
😎

I have that on pre-order with an extra cd ep of 'Party Fears Two.' The release date has been put back a couple of months now, so sometime in July.
I bought the two disc cd. Sounds really good. I was looking at that 3cd 40th anniversary set but noticed the main album and the majority of disc 2 are all the 2016 mixes. So the only other tracks I would've wanted was the Peel sessions.
Last edited by Marky Dread on 25 Apr 2022, 12:55pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Apr 2022, 12:40pm
This might be better than the studio record. These guys are immediately on my favourite new bands list. So, so fucking good.
I'm glad I added them in. I was really back and forth on my third choice.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 12:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'm borderline annoyed that you didn't tell me about them directly. If you hear another band that sounds like them, yeah, that shit is for me.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 12:44pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'm borderline annoyed that you didn't tell me about them directly. If you hear another band that sounds like them, yeah, that shit is for me.
Kory's tastee kutz.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I heard them for the first time just last week. If I hadn't added them in to the Po3, I'd have put them up here for you after a couple more listens.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 12:49pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I heard them for the first time just last week. If I hadn't added them in to the Po3, I'd have put them up here for you after a couple more listens.
Well, alright then. They've got a new album coming out in May, so I'll be all over that.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 12:50pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Well, alright then. They've got a new album coming out in May, so I'll be all over that.
My YouTube algorithm got screwed up a couple years ago and still hasn't fully recovered, but once in a while they still throw something gold at me.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 12:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 12:50pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

My YouTube algorithm got screwed up a couple years ago and still hasn't fully recovered, but once in a while they still throw something gold at me.
It feels like a minor victory that YouTube rarely recommends anything in the ballpark for me. Yeah, YouTube, I'll be all over the Black Eyed Peas. :rolleyes:

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 12:24pm
dave202 wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
dave202 wrote:
😎

I bought the two disc cd. Sounds really good. I was looking at that 3cd 40th anniversary set but noticed the main album and the majority of disc 2 are all the 2016 mixes. So the only other tracks I would've wanted was the Peel sessions.
The Peel sessions can already be found. The 1994 release 'The Radio 1 Sessions' has some tracks, but I'm pretty sure everything they did for the Peel show is on 2003's 'The Radio One Sessions Vol.1 (1981-1983)' while 'Vol.2 (1984-1985)' from the same year doesn't have any Peel sessions, as they (Billy?) weren't (wasn't?) in the studio for him.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

dave202 wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 1:23pm
Marky Dread wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 12:24pm
dave202 wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
dave202 wrote:
😎

The Peel sessions can already be found. The 1994 release 'The Radio 1 Sessions' has some tracks, but I'm pretty sure everything they did for the Peel show is on 2003's 'The Radio One Sessions Vol.1 (1981-1983)' while 'Vol.2 (1984-1985)' from the same year doesn't have any Peel sessions, as they (Billy?) weren't (wasn't?) in the studio for him.
Oh sure I'm aware of those tracks being available. I simply meant between the editions of "Sulk". The 40th anniversary has a few extra tracks than the 2016 edition but not much that I'm that interested in. Like the live tracks that always seem to fill these things out.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia