What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Wolter »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 Sep 2019, 1:00pm
gkbill wrote:
21 Sep 2019, 12:52pm
Hello,

Has anyone listened to the 40th anniversary issue of the Ramones' It's Alive? I have all the previous anniversary issues and they're outstanding. This one looks like the original plus 3 live shows from the same series of shows with a really similar set and a really similar sound although supposedly a rougher mix. I really liked the previous issues but 4 discs with 4 shows that are really similar may be a bit much. Anyone?
Was tempted as I love the album but the price is off putting.
The completist in me wants this but the rational part of me knows that I'll probably just want the original album which is fucking flawless.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

revbob wrote:
20 Sep 2019, 7:49am
muppet hi fi wrote:
19 Sep 2019, 8:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Sep 2019, 8:17pm
His fanbase is almost exclusively middle-aged liberal white men, with extra concentration in sports writers.
:lol: True, that!
As opposed to Swans, who's fan base is entirely tone-deaf middle aged white men with a penchant for sado masochistic rape fantasies and neo-fascism.
Doc is the only Swans fan I know. He is white, middle aged and probably tone deaf but that's where your comparison really ends .
I mean, if he was describing Swans MEMBERS...
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

😎👌👌👌

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Still reading Pete Jones' memoir—a writer he is not; neither was he willing to have someone proof his work—but he relates being part of Martin Atkins' Brian Brain group. The album, he says, was absolute shit. I'd never heard it before, so I found a copy. Mr. Jones is quite correct. Pointless dicking around may be fun in the garage, but doesn't merit putting it on vinyl.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 12:26pm
Still reading Pete Jones' memoir—a writer he is not; neither was he willing to have someone proof his work—but he relates being part of Martin Atkins' Brian Brain group. The album, he says, was absolute shit. I'd never heard it before, so I found a copy. Mr. Jones is quite correct. Pointless dicking around may be fun in the garage, but doesn't merit putting it on vinyl.
I really like the singles "Jive Jive" and "Another Million Miles". They used to play a good live version of "At Home He's A Tourist".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 12:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 12:26pm
I really like the singles "Jive Jive" and "Another Million Miles". They used to play a good live version of "At Home He's A Tourist".
They got to you somehow!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Actually they've got me in a bottle.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 12:43pm

That's not bad. I'll have to hunt down that ep.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 1:18pm
Marky Dread wrote:

I've got it but I've no means of uploading.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 1:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 1:18pm
Marky Dread wrote:

I've got it but I've no means of uploading.
No worries. It's a minor PiL-related curiosity.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Michael Gira, I Am Singing To You From My Room. Exactly as the title says—Gira and an acoustic guitar and a microphone. This would have been a fundraiser album of demos and sketches for the next Angels of Light album. Generally, these records are better for his AoL records than Swans.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Somewhere between ambient and abstract, but wholly engaging.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I've been A/B testing the old X Rhino remasters with the new Fat Possum ones and I can't make a call. The Rhino ones have bonus tracks...

I've also been A/B/C 'ing the old IRS Buzzcocks masters, the 2-disc deluxes from a few years ago, and the new ones remastered from the original tapes, and I've found that I simply have to keep all 9 of them.

IRS: They sound ok, but they have the benefit of the associated singles being included

2-disc Deluxe: The bonus tracks are great to have. The first two albums sound good but Another Kind of Tension sounds awful

New remasters: They all sound great, but don't have any bonus tracks at all
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

muppet hi fi wrote:
28 Sep 2019, 9:33pm
The Replacements - 'Dead Man's Pop' (2019). Four CD's - two the complete 'Inconcerated' gig, one the Bearsville sessions with Tony Berg plus assorted demos and outtakes and the Tom Waits session, plus the Matt Wallace original mix of 'Don't Tell a Soul' before Sire had Chris Lord-Alge re-mix it for maximum '80s radio appeal. Also includes a vinyl copy of the the "new" version.
This came out yesterday, I snagged the last copy from the last record store in St. Paul, down the block from my work.
Always loved 'Don't Tell a Soul', so this redux doesn't change my mind or anything, but it's pretty fucking incredible. Extremely well done box set - from the packaging to the research to the mastering and sonics. I paid $80(US), Amazon has it for $60 or so - so it's expensive, but I'm thinking this is the new gold standard for single album redux/re-imagining projects. (and to think that the 'Abbey Road' box came out the same day. Hmmm...).
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

That Mats set looks damned tasty.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!