What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
19 Apr 2019, 6:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Apr 2019, 5:59pm
gkbill wrote:
19 Apr 2019, 5:26pm
Hello,

Gang of Four - Happy Now. Not really.
I dl'd it this morning expecting very little from it. Haven't listened yet, but it's good to know that I wasn't making a mistake by delaying things.
Hello,

More of the same of the recent stuff. It's hard to review this given it sits in the same folder as Entertainment and Return the Gift.
Yep, what I expected. I'm enough of a completist to get a copy, but I can't imagine I'll listen to it once and that's that.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Funky, a bit weird but very enjoyable for tonight's dish washing music.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190420-215054_Deezer.jpg

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I've never listened to Section 25 before—apart from the odd song on a compilation—but, fuck a duck, was Martin Hannett a one-trick pony? This record basically sounds like Joy Division or New Order's Movement. It ain't bad, but I have a hard time getting past the fact that it sounds so much like Joy Division.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 1:39pm
I've never listened to Section 25 before—apart from the odd song on a compilation—but, fuck a duck, was Martin Hannett a one-trick pony? This record basically sounds like Joy Division or New Order's Movement. It ain't bad, but I have a hard time getting past the fact that it sounds so much like Joy Division.
I think their first single was produced by Ian Curtis and Rob Gretton. Check out their third album, From the Hip. It's a little glossier, and produced by Bernard Sumner.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 5:01pm
I think their first single was produced by Ian Curtis and Rob Gretton. Check out their third album, From the Hip. It's a little glossier, and produced by Bernard Sumner.
i have so much residual CTC trauma that it took me 5 times not to read that as "produced by Bernard Rhodes"
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Re. the single, you're right.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 5:10pm
Kory wrote:
i have so much residual CTC trauma that it took me 5 times not to read that as "produced by Bernard Rhodes"
PTSDCTC
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Possibly the most beautiful song ever.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190423-133815_Deezer.jpg

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yeah if you think John Cooper Clarke and Jilted John sound like Joy Division.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 9:49am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I assume this means MH produced them?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 10:02am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yes he did as well as punk glam band Slaughter & the Dogs. The two bands Section 25 and Joy Division both played along side each other in Manchester and released their first official material within months of each other. Both having Martin produce their material it was inevitable the sound would be so similar. But not really fair to consider him a one trick pony.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 10:17am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yes he did as well as punk glam band Slaughter & the Dogs. The two bands Section 25 and Joy Division both played along side each other in Manchester and released their first official material within months of each other. Both having Martin produce their material it was inevitable the sound would be so similar. But not really fair to consider him a one trick pony.
Well, I was being more than a bit snarky, not literal, wasn't I? My point was that the production style on that album, JD, and Movement are so clearly coming from the same point of view.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 10:25am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Well, I was being more than a bit snarky, not literal, wasn't I? My point was that the production style on that album, JD, and Movement are so clearly coming from the same point of view.
No problem if you say your comment was "snarky". I didn't get that from your post and there was a question mark there suggesting you were asking.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 10:46am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

No problem if you say your comment was "snarky". I didn't get that from your post and there was a question mark there suggesting you were asking.
Fair enough. Snark can sometimes be hard to discern.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 11:02am
Marky Dread wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 10:46am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Fair enough. Snark can sometimes be hard to discern.
I’m too tired to actually make the joke here. Can we assume I did and that it was hilariously snarky?
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"