What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by WestwayKid »

Wolter wrote:
16 May 2021, 8:27am
This still smokes.
Maybe the best live recording ever.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

WestwayKid wrote:
17 May 2021, 9:53am
Wolter wrote:
16 May 2021, 8:27am
This still smokes.
Maybe the best live recording ever.
Definitely the best pure 50s style rock'n'roll live album. And yeah, a contender for all-time.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
16 May 2021, 5:19am
Flex wrote:
15 May 2021, 11:12pm
Wolter wrote:
15 May 2021, 11:07pm
Oh yeah. That was like...the last episode. Heh.
This is tangential, but that episode also accidentally explains why music dorks like me and marky and like the steve hoffman forum people will go on and on about dynamic range in mastering and why it's actually good and important.
I presume you are talking about Marky Ramone.

The guys at the Steve Hoffman forum are nut jobs who belong in a music asylum.

"If it sounds good then it's right" - Marky Dread

Dynamic Range

Most of the early CD releases with quieter sound have way better dynamic range than that of their remastered counterparts. This is due to the horrible process of brickwalling where the range has been pushed to and above it's limits.

A classic example of this is Iggy's remaster of "Raw Power" where even Iggy says on the sleeve notes "everything is in the red". Well you really don't want the needle in the red just to make something louder. You get can get it louder and fuller sounding by using other techniques. So the original vinyl releases have a much better dynamic range than the remastered CDs.

It's why we get conned with a lot of remasters. Like the recent Joe comp "Assembly" you put in on and it immediately sounds different so you assume it's better. Well it isn't it's just louder.

The Sound System box was remastered by Tim Young who has been around in music a very long time and has a fantastic understanding and knowledge of how things should sound. He did a fantastic job on SS.
Yes! I will admit to occasionally visiting when I want to geek out on the best mastering of Diamond Dogs or something, but they are pretty wacky and obsessed. Also a great point about getting conned by remasters. Newer is not always better. The Stones are a great example. The remasters put out by Universal back around 2008 are terrible, compressed messes. Sure, they're listenable, but a 1980's vintage CBS Sticky Fingers is going to sound a lot better because it isn't compressed...and you can pick those up in the used bin for $5.
The Hoffman forums are definitely useful if you want to see if you should ditch your current masters for the remasters of anything. The answer is usually no.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
17 May 2021, 2:00pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Flex wrote:
Wolter wrote:
15 May 2021, 11:07pm
Oh yeah. That was like...the last episode. Heh.
This is tangential, but that episode also accidentally explains why music dorks like me and marky and like the steve hoffman forum people will go on and on about dynamic range in mastering and why it's actually good and important.

Dynamic Range

Most of the early CD releases with quieter sound have way better dynamic range than that of their remastered counterparts. This is due to the horrible process of brickwalling where the range has been pushed to and above it's limits.

A classic example of this is Iggy's remaster of "Raw Power" where even Iggy says on the sleeve notes "everything is in the red". Well you really don't want the needle in the red just to make something louder. You get can get it louder and fuller sounding by using other techniques. So the original vinyl releases have a much better dynamic range than the remastered CDs.

It's why we get conned with a lot of remasters. Like the recent Joe comp "Assembly" you put in on and it immediately sounds different so you assume it's better. Well it isn't it's just louder.

The Sound System box was remastered by Tim Young who has been around in music a very long time and has a fantastic understanding and knowledge of how things should sound. He did a fantastic job on SS.
Yes! I will admit to occasionally visiting when I want to geek out on the best mastering of Diamond Dogs or something, but they are pretty wacky and obsessed. Also a great point about getting conned by remasters. Newer is not always better. The Stones are a great example. The remasters put out by Universal back around 2008 are terrible, compressed messes. Sure, they're listenable, but a 1980's vintage CBS Sticky Fingers is going to sound a lot better because it isn't compressed...and you can pick those up in the used bin for $5.
The Hoffman forums are definitely useful if you want to see if you should ditch your current masters for the remasters of anything. The answer is usually no.
I wouldn't believe everything there though. Never take other people's word for mastering just do your own homework. It's not difficult. Lots of free software.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 May 2021, 2:10pm
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Flex wrote:

Dynamic Range

I wouldn't believe everything there though. Never take other people's word for mastering just do your own homework. It's not difficult. Lots of free software.
Well, the opinion is usually split there but it's helpful to see what people are talking about because a little grain of truth often emerges from the chaos. I found the main group's assessment of the most recent Buzzcocks masters to be fairly accurate, for example. And often they'll post some screenshots of waveforms, which is good for me because I'm not likely to spend the time and money to buy a CD just to compare the mastering to a previous version (unless it's the Buzzcocks).
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
17 May 2021, 2:44pm
Marky Dread wrote:
17 May 2021, 2:10pm
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Dynamic Range

Well, the opinion is usually split there but it's helpful to see what people are talking about because a little grain of truth often emerges from the chaos. I found the main group's assessment of the most recent Buzzcocks masters to be fairly accurate, for example. And often they'll post some screenshots of waveforms, which is good for me because I'm not likely to spend the time and money to buy a CD just to compare the mastering to a previous version (unless it's the Buzzcocks).
I remaster all my own stuff so it really doesn't make much difference to me. I know how I like the stuff I listen to, to sound. I hate brickwalling and stuff that's to sharp and brittle sounding. But it's subjective to ones own likes. Unless you simply don't care as long as you get to hear the thing in the first place. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

James Chance and the Contortions - Buy. This is weird sax, nervy aggressive vocals, frantic funk kind of stuff - no wave, and it can be taken for really pretentious stuff. The cliché "not for the faint of heart" applies. Somehow, I like it. His concerts/shows were events - not dancing would really piss him off and he'd come after people. Sometimes, it just clicks with me.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

crowded-house-woodface.jpg
crowded-house-woodface.jpg (427.26 KiB) Viewed 1592 times
I heard the new Crowded House single the other day. Wonderfully weird and catchy. I've always had a real affinity for Neil Finn's songwriting (and singing/guitar playing). This album blew me away the first time I heard it back in 1991. The original 3rd CH LP had been rejected by Capital, so Neil co-opted some of the songs he'd recently written with older brother Tim. There is something magical that happens when siblings sing together, a natural harmony that can only come from being so close. There are several moments on this album that still send shivers down my spine.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Baby Don't Apologise came on shuffle and reminded me of this, which I featured one of my little playlists years ago:

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

A compilation of Siouxsie stuff , including collaborations. Happy birthday to Siouxsie, 64 a couple of days ago.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
30 May 2021, 8:03pm
Oh fuck yeah
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Haven't listened to this yet (new Skids cd) it arrived this morning. But I am imagining Heston's smiling face at the tracklisting. Although not a KISS song or even a Paul Stanley song it must produce a huge grin on his mooey seeing it in such esteemed company.
Attachments
20210604_100709.jpg

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 5:16am
Haven't listened to this yet (new Skids cd) it arrived this morning. But I am imagining Heston's smiling face at the tracklisting. Although not a KISS song or even a Paul Stanley song it must produce a huge grin on his mooey seeing it in such esteemed company.
Let me know if it approaches the laconic excellence of Ace's version.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 6:21am
Marky Dread wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 5:16am
Let me know if it approaches the laconic excellence of Ace's version.
Will do. :lol:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia