What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Mar 2022, 6:22am
Kimmelweck wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 10:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 8:07pm
Something to be filed under the best albums you've never heard (except for, like, Kory).
A while ago you posted the Solex – All Lickety Split video (my pot-addled brain still remembers). Good stuff, I dig it, and it’s still a part of my regular playlist since you posted it. I’ll have to check out more from them. Is this album more of the same (which would be good)?
Similar approach—collages of samples—but the compositions sound more obviously song-like. It's less "electronic" and more mutant swing or jazz. A case of her getting better and better at her craft.
Thanks for the summary. Sounds interesting. I'll give it a spin.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Kimmelweck wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 5:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Something to be filed under the best albums you've never heard (except for, like, Kory).
A while ago you posted the Solex – All Lickety Split video (my pot-addled brain still remembers). Good stuff, I dig it, and it’s still a part of my regular playlist since you posted it. I’ll have to check out more from them. Is this album more of the same (which would be good)?
Similar approach—collages of samples—but the compositions sound more obviously song-like. It's less "electronic" and more mutant swing or jazz. A case of her getting better and better at her craft.
If you like this one, her first three albums are where to go (this is the third). The company line (I'm not sure if this is true or just a PR thing) is that she used to own a record store and these albums are all made up of samples that she took from her stock after the shop closed for the night. Thoroughly invigorating stuff.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
25 Mar 2022, 12:59pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
If you like this one, her first three albums are where to go (this is the third). The company line (I'm not sure if this is true or just a PR thing) is that she used to own a record store and these albums are all made up of samples that she took from her stock after the shop closed for the night. Thoroughly invigorating stuff.
That's the story I heard as well. And the albums she mined were obscure, forgotten, cut-out-bin stuff—cultural resuscitation at work. I haven't been terribly keen on what she did after this one, tho.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Mar 2022, 2:27pm
Kory wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:

That's the story I heard as well. And the albums she mined were obscure, forgotten, cut-out-bin stuff—cultural resuscitation at work. I haven't been terribly keen on what she did after this one, tho.
I have the following one which is ok, but I haven't gotten into the one after that. Certainly a lot of the quirkiness was squeezed out.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
25 Mar 2022, 3:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Mar 2022, 2:27pm
Kory wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I have the following one which is ok, but I haven't gotten into the one after that. Certainly a lot of the quirkiness was squeezed out.
I think that's it—it wasn't as quirky. Conventional isn't the right word, but compared to what she'd done previously it was more conventional.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Slothrust, Parallel Timeline. Only recently been exploring them more fully—they provided a lot of the music, including the theme song to You're the Worst—and this is their newest one. It's a lot more polished (slicker, if you prefer) and with more of an emphasis on emotion and melody than mixing blues, jazz, and noise. But I like it—they're pulling at heartstrings, and they succeed with me.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Against Me - White Crosses. Really good energetic intelligent guitar pop/punk. Not their best but better than most other stuff.

Sorry, Doc, my heartstrings are tied to grenade pins.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 1:12pm
Hello,

Against Me - White Crosses. Really good energetic intelligent guitar pop/punk. Not their best but better than most other stuff.

Sorry, Doc, my heartstrings are tied to grenade pins.
Revkill!

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Against Me is great, seen em a few times live and they always bring it. Transgender Dysphoria Blues is probably one of my fave punk albums of the 21st century. I'll admit, I enjoy more of their material when they had a more folk-punk sound and before they disavowed anarchism.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 1:27pm
Against Me is great, seen em a few times live and they always bring it. Transgender Dysphoria Blues is probably one of my fave punk albums of the 21st century. I'll admit, I enjoy more of their material when they had a more folk-punk sound and before they disavowed anarchism.

Never saw them live because their recordings have always been hit/miss with me.

Flex

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 1:44pm
They're fun - worth seeing if you like other bands on the bill too. I might not go to a show just for Against Me!

Pex Lives!

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Flex wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 1:46pm
revbob wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 1:44pm
They're fun - worth seeing if you like other bands on the bill too. I might not go to a show just for Against Me!
Hello,

I've never seen them. I just missed a show when they were opening for Green Day. They're on my "I want to see them before one of us dies" list.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

8736A40D-B37E-4862-8D08-76570DF8DB77.jpeg
8736A40D-B37E-4862-8D08-76570DF8DB77.jpeg (80.4 KiB) Viewed 878 times
This is such a great album. It’s completely weird, but so much fun. A work of genius.

I once read that Eno wanted to appear on the cover, but they told him no.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

WestwayKid wrote:
06 Apr 2022, 10:18pm
8736A40D-B37E-4862-8D08-76570DF8DB77.jpeg

This is such a great album. It’s completely weird, but so much fun. A work of genius.

I once read that Eno wanted to appear on the cover, but they told him no.
Hello,

Agreed. This is great. I made my son listen to it because it is great.

Flex

Post by Flex »

For a brief, beautiful moment I thought this would be a cover of BAD's The Bottom Line but it's still primo Causey Way madness:

Pex Lives!