What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by daredevil »

I've liked a bunch of Wire songs over the years, but never an entire album. I read about this one in the Wire thread. Liked it so much I bought the CD.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 8:34pm
Flex wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 6:51pm
I'm a relatively big booster of post-danzig misfits, but get in this order: walk among us, static age (the stand alone release), the coffin box (which contains all other tracks of major importance to danzig era misfits - the 4th disc is static age but it's from an inferior tape with fewer tracks than the stand alone version released a year later). Once you fall in love with all that, you can start testing the waters with post-danzig misfits and decide what your own tolerance is (if any). But the three releases I mention are some of the most essential punk rock of all time.
Does the box miss any tracks from Earth AD?
No, it's got em.all.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 10:18am
Kory wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 8:34pm
Flex wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 6:51pm
I'm a relatively big booster of post-danzig misfits, but get in this order: walk among us, static age (the stand alone release), the coffin box (which contains all other tracks of major importance to danzig era misfits - the 4th disc is static age but it's from an inferior tape with fewer tracks than the stand alone version released a year later). Once you fall in love with all that, you can start testing the waters with post-danzig misfits and decide what your own tolerance is (if any). But the three releases I mention are some of the most essential punk rock of all time.
Does the box miss any tracks from Earth AD?
No, it's got em.all.
Good, good. That was my first 'Fits album, strangely enough, so i have a soft spot for it.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

daredevil wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 10:46pm
I've liked a bunch of Wire songs over the years, but never an entire album. I read about this one in the Wire thread. Liked it so much I bought the CD.
Doc doesn't like it as much but I think it's probably my favorite out of the post-Gilbert stuff (except Change Becomes Us, of course). Sleep on the Wing is outstanding.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 2:06pm
daredevil wrote:
Doc doesn't like it as much but I think it's probably my favorite out of the post-Gilbert stuff (except Change Becomes Us, of course). Sleep on the Wing is outstanding.
No, it's one that's a head scratcher for me. Excluding CBU, My post-Bruce favourite is the self-titled/Nocturnal Koreans stuff (two records, same sessions).
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 2:33pm
Kory wrote:
daredevil wrote:
No, it's one that's a head scratcher for me. Excluding CBU, My post-Bruce favourite is the self-titled/Nocturnal Koreans stuff (two records, same sessions).
It's funny where we differ. I really like Nocturnal, it's my second favorite PG stuff, but self-titled was a total snoozefest for me. They should have made it a single album and cut some of the more ho-hum s/t tracks.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 2:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
daredevil wrote:
It's funny where we differ. I really like Nocturnal, it's my second favorite PG stuff, but self-titled was a total snoozefest for me. They should have made it a single album and cut some of the more ho-hum s/t tracks.
Self-titled was a grower to be sure, but I like it a fair bit now.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
daredevil wrote:
CBU
RBT
NK

For me.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 8:14pm
BitterTom wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 6:29pm
Let's play this for Graeme Garden's birthday. Enjoy a plethora of second-hand embarrassment.

I loved this song as a kid and can still recite it off by heart. The Goodies on the tv was a major event every week in my house, all the kids in my area disappeared off the streets and ran home to watch it.

I watched an episode a few years back and it was absolutely awful.
I have a vague memory of getting Funky Gibbon stickers in my Shreddies or Frosties cereals?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 3:20pm
CBU
RBT
NK

For me.
I liked RBT a lot when it came out, but I think part of my affection was in relief that they'd out O47 behind them. It's not bad whatsoever—and I still love “Moreover”—but it's indicative of the Wire-ish records they'd be releasing.

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 5:28pm
Marky Dread wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 3:20pm
CBU
RBT
NK

For me.
I liked RBT a lot when it came out, but I think part of my affection was in relief that they'd out O47 behind them. It's not bad whatsoever—and I still love “Moreover”—but it's indicative of the Wire-ish records they'd be releasing.
Yeah, "Moreover" is great. Also like "Please Take" and "Clay" from RBT.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Everytime I hear this I kick myself for forgetting how beautiful it is.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200221-234220_Deezer.jpg

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Funky as fuck.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200222-220622_Deezer.jpg

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

BitterTom wrote:
22 Feb 2020, 6:07pm
Funky as fuck.
Very funky indeed. Have you heard this yet? You probably have, it's pretty popular at the moment. I'm obsessed with the bassline.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

One of my favourite albums, a beautiful bit of post-Smiths indie guitar rock. Poorly promoted—as I remember, the first single was purposefully a limited release for … reasons—and it sent the band into bankruptcy. But it's exceptional. One of my favourite songs of all time:

And a shoulda-been-a-hit: