What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 12:30pm
Listened to the Gun Sluts demos and understand why Sony balked. MJ seemed on the cusp of being marketable after Mind Bomb and Dusk, then he does that weirdo Hank Williams cover record, and then he submits these squawking, tuneless jams. Not what Sony would have been looking for. Sonic Youth was making bank at the same time with this kind of stuff, but that wasn’t the image The The had in the biz. But I seriously loved these demos. A lot of nasty fucking around going on.
Played them earlier and Sonic Youth is an apt comparison. I wonder why they couldn't have been issued as an extra disc to another album. They are a solid listen definitely noise rock.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 2:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 12:30pm
Listened to the Gun Sluts demos and understand why Sony balked. MJ seemed on the cusp of being marketable after Mind Bomb and Dusk, then he does that weirdo Hank Williams cover record, and then he submits these squawking, tuneless jams. Not what Sony would have been looking for. Sonic Youth was making bank at the same time with this kind of stuff, but that wasn’t the image The The had in the biz. But I seriously loved these demos. A lot of nasty fucking around going on.
Played them earlier and Sonic Youth is an apt comparison. I wonder why they couldn't have been issued as an extra disc to another album. They are a solid listen definitely noise rock.
Listened again on my walk home and, damn, that shit is fun. And, yeah, if Nakedself ever gets some kind of deluxe reissue—not likely given that it flopped—this would seem ripe for the second disc.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 11:43am
This hot new single: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... -prisoners
“produced by a major recording artist who was not identified”.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 11:50am
Flex wrote:
“produced by a major recording artist who was not identified”.
Dicky Barrett, probably
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Flex wrote:
I thought this was going to be a parody, turns out it's legit, too bad.

God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

These New South Wales - Faceless. This is very good rock and roll.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 1:28pm
Hello,

These New South Wales - Faceless. This is very good rock and roll.

I like it!

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Don't know much about this band, but I like this song.

The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Kimmelweck wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 9:38am

Haven’t thought of them in forever. Takes me back to like 2008.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

matedog wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 9:40am
Kimmelweck wrote:

Apparently their follow up single "Shut Up and Let Me Go" did pretty well (particularly in the UK), so they are really two hit wonders, but I have no recollection of that song. Seems reasonable that people wouldn't really need more than one or two of this type of song in their lives.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

matedog wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 11:47am
matedog wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:

Apparently their follow up single "Shut Up and Let Me Go" did pretty well (particularly in the UK), so they are really two hit wonders, but I have no recollection of that song. Seems reasonable that people wouldn't really need more than one or two of this type of song in their lives.
I’ve only heard “Shut Up and Let Me Go” in the last day or two, because youtube recommended it after I watched the “That’s Not My Name” video. Did you hear TNMN on the radio around the time of release? I must have missed it completely. It’s relatively new to me and I only heard it recently because youtube threw this short vid up in front of my face for some reason and I Shazamed the music out of curiosity (wouldn't have known about the Ting Tings otherwise):

The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Kimmelweck wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 12:32pm
matedog wrote:
matedog wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:

I’ve only heard “Shut Up and Let Me Go” in the last day or two, because youtube recommended it after I watched the “That’s Not My Name” video. Did you hear TNMN on the radio around the time of release? I must have missed it completely. It’s relatively new to me and I only heard it recently because youtube threw this short vid up in front of my face for some reason and I Shazamed the music out of curiosity (wouldn't have known about the Ting Tings otherwise):

Yeah, YouTube sends me that sort of crap all the time. I must stop watching it one of these days so they'll stop.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Silent Majority wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 12:56pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 12:32pm
matedog wrote:
matedog wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:

Yeah, YouTube sends me that sort of crap all the time. I must stop watching it one of these days so they'll stop.
What can I say? I got sucked in to the web of depravity that is youtube. It was bound to happen at some point. Better late than never. :mrgreen:

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Kimmelweck wrote:

During the lockdown when there were no live performances, I remember Jools Holland had Joan Armatrading on as a guest on his tv show, selecting her favourite performances over the years and that was one of the songs she chose. I thought it was great, much better than the studio version, the guy really bashes the fuck out of his drum lot, Terry-style.