What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by revbob »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 2:48am
The new Vol 4 sabbath remaster sounds surprisingly good to my ears. A ton of compression added but those early sabbath records needed it bad IMO. Very thin yet muddy sounding simultaneously. 70s production can be pretty hit or miss for me
Ill have to give this a listen, its such a great album but yeah the production seemed to be lacking.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

revbob wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 7:18am
RockNRollWhore wrote:
The new Vol 4 sabbath remaster sounds surprisingly good to my ears. A ton of compression added but those early sabbath records needed it bad IMO. Very thin yet muddy sounding simultaneously. 70s production can be pretty hit or miss for me
Ill have to give this a listen, its such a great album but yeah the production seemed to be lacking.
I never understood how sabbath as one of the foremost rock bands of the 70s couldn’t afford better production. Perhaps because that style of music was so new they didn’t know how to capture it properly? Johnny the Fox by Thin Lizzy suffered a similar fate. It’s just so bone dry and anemic sounding. The songs still kill though.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 8:44am
revbob wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
I never understood how sabbath as one of the foremost rock bands of the 70s couldn’t afford better production. Perhaps because that style of music was so new they didn’t know how to capture it properly? Johnny the Fox by Thin Lizzy suffered a similar fate. It’s just so bone dry and anemic sounding. The songs still kill though.
Even more true for Bad Reputation I think. Thank God for Live And Dangerous.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Olaf wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 1:09pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 8:44am
revbob wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Even more true for Bad Reputation I think. Thank God for Live And Dangerous.
It’s mostly the drums to be honest. The trend in the seventies was to tape the fuck out of the drums to make them sound as dead as possible. This sound holds up suprisingly well on some punk/new wave recordings but a lot of really great hard rock music was recorded oddly from that time period . I love the entire Thin Lizzy discography but Black Rose is the first one where the music really JUMPS out at you production wise.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

New Godspeed You! Black Emperor album. After one listen, it's the best thing since Allelujah, and probably the most like that record (right down to the 20 min / 6 min / 20 min / 6 min track format). Magisterial, intense, not for casual listening.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Apr 2021, 11:50am
New Godspeed You! Black Emperor album. After one listen, it's the best thing since Allelujah, and probably the most like that record (right down to the 20 min / 6 min / 20 min / 6 min track format). Magisterial, intense, not for casual listening.
Fuck yeah
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
For a minute I was like how the hell did you get that PNG perfectly centered in the quote box
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
02 Apr 2021, 2:31pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
For a minute I was like how the hell did you get that PNG perfectly centered in the quote box
Sadly, my mutant ability wasn't sufficient for even a written interview for Xavier's school.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

43B29AED-BA23-4C4F-9EEB-8B03D8410F63.jpeg
43B29AED-BA23-4C4F-9EEB-8B03D8410F63.jpeg (113.93 KiB) Viewed 1124 times
God, I almost slept on this, but it’s probably my favorite album of the last year.

Disclaimer: most of the music I listen to is at least 30 years old.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Magisterial, intense, not for casual listening.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 11:55am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 12:12pm
Inder wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 11:55am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Of course you realize...
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dry Cleaning, New Long Leg. Certainly in the post-punk vein. Touchstones, off-hand, would be early Cure and the Au Pairs, with a female singer who is more inclined to an Andy Gill style of commentary vocals. Thus far, I think this one will get a number of spins in the upcoming weeks.

edit: Sonic Youth or maybe Keith Levene seem additional reference points.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Forgot how much of a banger this is:
Peter_Gabriel_(self-titled_album,_1980_-_cover_art).jpg
Peter_Gabriel_(self-titled_album,_1980_-_cover_art).jpg (22.21 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
Reminds me of Early PIL in places.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 7:44pm
Forgot how much of a banger this is:

Peter_Gabriel_(self-titled_album,_1980_-_cover_art).jpg

Reminds me of Early PIL in places.
I only know Games Without Frontiers and it is fucking great. Is there anything else of that calibre?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board