What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by gkbill »

Silent Majority wrote:
24 Nov 2019, 6:32am
Louis Jordan who was good as hell.
Hello,

Joe Jackson's Jumpin' Jive was my introduction to Louis Jordan. Great stuff.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I'm still going back and forth with these Buzzcocks remasters. Marky, as our resident remaster guru, do you have any insight on which of the CD releases have been the closest to the sound of the original release, particularly for the first album?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
25 Nov 2019, 7:53pm
I'm still going back and forth with these Buzzcocks remasters. Marky, as our resident remaster guru, do you have any insight on which of the CD releases have been the closest to the sound of the original release, particularly for the first album?
My preference for all 3 Buzzcocks albums is the "Product" box set.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Another of those "great albums nobody [it seems] has heard." Another pastiche record, built from samples, it's sort jazzy, sorta funky, always playful, even celebratory. It sounds like music ripped from oddball comedy movies from the 1960s.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 11:05am
Kory wrote:
I've been trying to find if that's the same mastering as the 2001 EMI release, but I can't find any info in that area.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 1:49pm
Another of those "great albums nobody [it seems] has heard." Another pastiche record, built from samples, it's sort jazzy, sorta funky, always playful, even celebratory. It sounds like music ripped from oddball comedy movies from the 1960s.
I listen to Solex a couple times a year, good stuff.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 1:53pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
I've been trying to find if that's the same mastering as the 2001 EMI release, but I can't find any info in that area.
Not the same mastering mate. The "Product" box is exactly the same as the 1989 I.R.S. versions done by Mike Reese.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 2:30pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Not the same mastering mate. The "Product" box is exactly the same as the 1989 I.R.S. versions done by Mike Reese.
I'll have to jump on that. Then I can A/B/C/D test.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 2:43pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
I think the complaints tend to be that the later editions sound more brittle than the early cd versions. But I had all the vinyl singles and albums and some of the early singles did sound a bit thin.

They have recently (this year) released the vinyl albums again. Which are from the 1/4" masters for the first time since original release.
Last edited by Marky Dread on 27 Nov 2019, 3:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 2:57pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I think the complaints tend to be that the later editions sound more brittle than the early cd versions. But I had all the vinyl singles and albums and some of the early singles did sound a bit thin.

They have recently released the vinyl albums again. Which I think I'm right in saying are from the masters for the first time since original release.
Yes, they've used those same masters for a CD release as well, and I'm finding Another Music to be fairly brickwalled and and a little muffled, but A Different Kind sounds the best it ever has. Why can't they have consistency with remastering a series like this?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 3:01pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:

They have recently released the vinyl albums again. Which I think I'm right in saying are from the masters for the first time since original release.
Yes, they've used those same masters for a CD release as well, and I'm finding Another Music to be fairly brickwalled and and a little muffled, but A Different Kind sounds the best it ever has. Why can't they have consistency with remastering a series like this?
I've never considered remastering the Buzzcocks albums. But I think I will now so I'll let you know how I get on.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 3:07pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I've never considered remastering the Buzzcocks albums. But I think I will now so I'll let you know how I get on.
Finally, a definitive version.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 5:11pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:

:lol:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 5:12pm
Kory wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 5:11pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

:lol:
Looks like there's a 1995 remaster of the Product box, but you're saying the 1989 one is best, right?