What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Long time since I played this but still dig it immensely.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 6:55pm
Hello,

I didn't know anyone else here listened to this band. There's moments when they really hit the spot. I can honestly say I've listened to This Dust Makes That Mud all the way through - my first listen I just kept wondering when it was going to end. I haven't heard much recent stuff - any thoughts on stuff since WIXIW?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 7:08pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 6:55pm
Hello,

I didn't know anyone else here listened to this band. There's moments when they really hit the spot. I can honestly say I've listened to This Dust Makes That Mud all the way through - my first listen I just kept wondering when it was going to end.
That song is running right now. It's a beautiful tension of "what the hell is happening?" anxiousness and "this is like a mantra" calm.
I haven't heard much recent stuff - any thoughts on stuff since WIXIW?
The last thing I remember from them was Mess. Loved "Mess on a Mission," tho I remember a friend vehemently questioning I could endorse crap like that.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A good ep.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

The 14 song KISS playlist I made for Doc in the Challenge Thread a couple of years back. This is a really melodic set of songs covering only the years 1978-81, and I enjoyed hearing them again tonight. People should listen to this, cast aside their prejudices, and imagine they were just a power pop band from the late 70s. It will help if you don't look at the pictures...

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
09 Jul 2020, 5:48pm
The 14 song KISS playlist I made for Doc in the Challenge Thread a couple of years back. This is a really melodic set of songs covering only the years 1978-81, and I enjoyed hearing them again tonight. People should listen to this, cast aside their prejudices, and imagine they were just a power pop band from the late 70s. It will help if you don't look at the pictures...

I encourage others to listen to that playlist and decide whether the contents are power pop. I fiercely reject that position.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jul 2020, 6:59pm
Heston wrote:

I encourage others to listen to that playlist and decide whether the contents are power pop. I fiercely reject that position.
Well some of them are, I was trying to hook a couple of people in. :shifty:
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

Power pop seems a stretch. Maybe that Ace Frehley song but. I guess im not sure what power pop is through. Would Heavens on Fire be power pop to you Heston?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
09 Jul 2020, 7:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

Well some of them are, I was trying to hook a couple of people in. :shifty:
Cheater cheater!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
09 Jul 2020, 7:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

Power pop seems a stretch. Maybe that Ace Frehley song but. I guess im not sure what power pop is through. Would Heavens on Fire be power pop to you Heston?
Power pop is basically 60s pop melodies with some punkish bite. Early Who is power pop (actually, Pete Townshend is supposedly the person who first used the term). So is Cheap Trick.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jul 2020, 7:29pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

Power pop is basically 60s pop melodies with some punkish bite. Early Who is power pop (actually, Pete Townshend is supposedly the person who first used the term). So is Cheap Trick.
Ok. KISS, never.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

Of my list I'd say 2000 Man and Talk To Me could comfortably fit in that bracket.

Heston

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

No, that song is dreadful.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
09 Jul 2020, 7:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

Of my list I'd say 2000 Man and Talk To Me could comfortably fit in that bracket.
"Talke To Me," yes, I'll grant that; "2000 Man," no. The latter is more garage-ish to my ears. It lacks a pop upbeat spark.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
09 Jul 2020, 7:43pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

No, that song is dreadful.
It is indeed but I thought it might be sufficiently poopish for you to like it.