What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Dirty Harry
Junco Partner

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dirty Harry »

I own every Wire studio album but for some reason this album escaped me i had only heard 'Alone' before and maybe thought the whole album maybe sounded like this but i was wrong, Got this last week and pretty much been on the turntable all week and a must for any Wire fan.

Probably the closest to what maybe Wire would have sounded like in 1980 after 154
Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, "Listen, mate, "life" has surface noise."

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dirty Harry wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 5:46pm

I own every Wire studio album but for some reason this album escaped me i had only heard 'Alone' before and maybe thought the whole album maybe sounded like this but i was wrong, Got this last week and pretty much been on the turntable all week and a must for any Wire fan.

Probably the closest to what maybe Wire would have sounded like in 1980 after 154
It's long had the reputation for being Wire's fourth album given the presence of Gotobed and Thorne, and a few co-writes with Lewis. My understanding is that Beggar's Banquet really thought it would break CN in the US as a New Wave star.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 6:13pm
Dirty Harry wrote:

It's long had the reputation for being Wire's fourth album given the presence of Gotobed and Thorne, and a few co-writes with Lewis. My understanding is that Beggar's Banquet really thought it would break CN in the US as a New Wave star.
Big mistake really as Colin was never going to achieve the kind of respect as a solo performer the BB thought possible. Colin is a fine musician (if that term can be applied)
But as a personality he would never make it.
The record is a winner though. And really should've been marketed as a Wire project.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 6:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 6:13pm
Dirty Harry wrote:

Big mistake really as Colin was never going to achieve the kind of respect as a solo performer the BB thought possible. Colin is a fine musician (if that term can be applied)
But as a personality he would never make it.
The record is a winner though. And really should've been marketed as a Wire project.
I think Colin said pretty much the same thing about his potential to be a pop star. He's too jaundiced or wry towards that stuff. Of the four, it was Graham Lewis who would have best played the pop star game.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

The Soup Dragons - Hang Ten. This is quite different from what most would associate with the Soup Dragons - no dance-rock-90's sound. This album has some Soup Dragon clues but actually sounds a bit more Buzzcock-ish to me. It's a shame they became a band that I wouldn't change the station but wouldn't sit up for either. They would have benefited from song-writing of Buzzcock quality.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 7:26pm
Hello,

The Soup Dragons - Hang Ten. This is quite different from what most would associate with the Soup Dragons - no dance-rock-90's sound. This album has some Soup Dragon clues but actually sounds a bit more Buzzcock-ish to me. It's a shame they became a band that I wouldn't change the station but wouldn't sit up for either. They would have benefited from song-writing of Buzzcock quality.

I've got all their albums.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Jul 2020, 5:47am
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Hello,

I used to listen to Lovegod a lot. It kind of faded. Is there anything else worth listening to from their stuff?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
28 Jul 2020, 12:49pm
Marky Dread wrote:
28 Jul 2020, 5:47am
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Hello,

I used to listen to Lovegod a lot. It kind of faded. Is there anything else worth listening to from their stuff?
This Is Our Art - 1988

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Still on my soundtracks. The film may not be the best in the series but the OST is up there for me.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200728-211922_Deezer.jpg

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BitterTom wrote:
28 Jul 2020, 4:19pm
Still on my soundtracks. The film may not be the best in the series but the OST is up there for me.
I like most John Barry stuff.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

One of the great guitar bands who just never found a big audience.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jul 2020, 5:14pm
Deserved much better. Great band superb live.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Jul 2020, 4:35pm
BitterTom wrote:
28 Jul 2020, 4:19pm
I like most John Barry stuff.
Yep, they've been a joy to listen to

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
My mate was a big fan and I liked quite a few of their songs. "I Don't know Why I Love You" is perfect...

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
28 Jul 2020, 5:31pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
My mate was a big fan and I liked quite a few of their songs. "I Don't know Why I Love You" is perfect...

So many of their singles sounded perfect—"Christine"; "Shine On"—that their lack of success just baffles.