What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
24 Apr 2021, 10:55am
Sparky wrote:
24 Apr 2021, 9:58am
gkbill wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 9:51pm
Sparky wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 9:45pm
matedog wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 9:39pm

I wouldn’t rely on early Mats. Hes appreciates more melody focused music like their latter stuff.
Here's the list I shared with him, hope it's diverse enough that he may see the light! Any recommendations to add or remove?

Takin' A Ride, Raised In The City, Kids Don't Follow, Color Me Impressed, Hayday, I Will Dare, Sixteen Blue, Hold My Life, Bastards Of Young, Left Of The Dial, Nowhere Is My Home, Alex Chilton, Can't Hardly Wait, Photo (PO Box - Empty As Your Heart), Talent Show, Merry Go Round, Someone Take The Wheel.
Hello,

This is a pretty good list for him. Regarding the covers, the Replacements were liked friends of yours in a band covering songs you knew and wanted to cover while hanging around in the basement of a friend's house where you could sneak beers downstairs while they played (does that make sense?).
Exactly, they were "everyman's band", kind of like the neighborhood band that almost did well, but not quite. Some might even say home town hero's of sorts. Any chance of success that came their way, they kicked square in the nads and made sure it wouldn't happen!
That SNL performance. My god.
Note: KISS has never performed on SNL.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Apr 2021, 11:13am
Wolter wrote:
Sparky wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Sparky wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 9:45pm

Here's the list I shared with him, hope it's diverse enough that he may see the light! Any recommendations to add or remove?

Takin' A Ride, Raised In The City, Kids Don't Follow, Color Me Impressed, Hayday, I Will Dare, Sixteen Blue, Hold My Life, Bastards Of Young, Left Of The Dial, Nowhere Is My Home, Alex Chilton, Can't Hardly Wait, Photo (PO Box - Empty As Your Heart), Talent Show, Merry Go Round, Someone Take The Wheel.
Hello,

This is a pretty good list for him. Regarding the covers, the Replacements were liked friends of yours in a band covering songs you knew and wanted to cover while hanging around in the basement of a friend's house where you could sneak beers downstairs while they played (does that make sense?).
Exactly, they were "everyman's band", kind of like the neighborhood band that almost did well, but not quite. Some might even say home town hero's of sorts. Any chance of success that came their way, they kicked square in the nads and made sure it wouldn't happen!
If they did they’d be good company men and not get banned from NBC for almost 3 decades.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
24 Apr 2021, 12:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Sparky wrote:
gkbill wrote:

Hello,

If they did they’d be good company men and not get banned from NBC for almost 3 decades.
Not following the rules harms the brand. Nothing is ever more more important than the brand.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Sparky wrote:
gkbill wrote:

Hello,

Funny how simple F-Bomb, sharing your "adult refreshments" with the shows host, Harry Dean Stanton & Bob Stinson splitting his pants and showing his butt can piss of the corporate censors. Geezo, no sense of humor those guys.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Sparky wrote:
24 Apr 2021, 12:46pm
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Sparky wrote:

Funny how simple F-Bomb, sharing your "adult refreshments" with the shows host, Harry Dean Stanton & Bob Stinson splitting his pants and showing his butt can piss of the corporate censors. Geezo, no sense of humor those guys.
Is Harry Dean Stanton/The Replacements/special guest Sam Kinison the least likely SNL host/guest combo possible?
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Wolter wrote:
24 Apr 2021, 12:56pm
Sparky wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:

Is Harry Dean Stanton/The Replacements/special guest Sam Kinison the least likely SNL host/guest combo possible?
As the story goes, the Mats were a "replacement" for the Pointer Sisters!

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Sparky wrote:
24 Apr 2021, 1:12pm
Wolter wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yeah. Apparently G.E. Smith was a fan.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Wolter wrote:
24 Apr 2021, 2:01pm
Sparky wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Wolter wrote:

I've seen an interview where G.E. Smith talks about them, yes, he was most certainly a fan.

Know who's not a fan? Charlton Heston. If you've ever seen the Paul Westerberg appearance 12/4/1993 closing scene, Charlton seems confused standing next to Paul and doesn't thank them in his closing monologue, Paul then turns and coughs in to the palm of his hand, turns and reaches out and gives old Charlton a nice hand shake, phlegm and all.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Sparky wrote:
24 Apr 2021, 2:12pm
Wolter wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Sparky wrote:

I've seen an interview where G.E. Smith talks about them, yes, he was most certainly a fan.

Know who's not a fan? Charlton Heston. If you've ever seen the Paul Westerberg appearance 12/4/1993 closing scene, Charlton seems confused standing next to Paul and doesn't thank them in his closing monologue, Paul then turns and coughs in to the palm of his hand, turns and reaches out and gives old Charlton a nice hand shake, phlegm and all.
Oh wow. I saw that episode, but I didn’t notice the closing.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Wolter wrote:
24 Apr 2021, 2:16pm
Sparky wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Wolter wrote:

Fun starts around the 3:20 mark.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Ha. Oh man the awkward look at each other.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Sparky wrote:
24 Apr 2021, 2:19pm
Wolter wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Sparky wrote:

It's a Heston thing. :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 Apr 2021, 2:48pm
Sparky wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Wolter wrote:

Ahh, I hadn't thought of that, you may be on to something there. So the Heston clan may genetically predisposed to be allergic to the Mats?

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Wolter wrote:
Ha. Oh man the awkward look at each other.
LOL! Yeah, & Paul pointing with both hands at his chest while Charlton thanks everybody except Paul's band! The look just says it all, AWKWARD!

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Sparky wrote:
24 Apr 2021, 2:51pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Sparky wrote:

Ahh, I hadn't thought of that, you may be on to something there. So the Heston clan may genetically predisposed to be allergic to the Mats?
And yet they’ll pry his copy of Dynasty from his cold, dead hands...