What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Marky Dread »

Gotta be this one for me.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Samaris, Samaris. Icelandic triphop. Either Kory or CK recommended them earlier this year and I keep coming back to them. Really groovy, blissful stuff.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jan 2021, 2:32pm
Samaris, Samaris. Icelandic triphop. Either Kory or CK recommended them earlier this year and I keep coming back to them. Really groovy, blissful stuff.
Must have been CK, but I'll check this out.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
20 Jan 2021, 6:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I would listen to a Heston-compiled Beatles playlist if you didn't like them.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jan 2021, 6:59pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
You never know, our tastes might have converged on the later albums.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
20 Jan 2021, 7:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
We're ON the later albums!!
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The magic 8-ball says you're throwing all your super noodles into Ob-La-Di and Maxwell's Silver Hammer, and ardently opposing Blackbird and Two of Us.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
20 Jan 2021, 7:28pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
We're ON the later albums!!
So we're not doing the anthologies? :shifty:
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jan 2021, 7:39pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The magic 8-ball says you're throwing all your super noodles into Ob-La-Di and Maxwell's Silver Hammer, and ardently opposing Blackbird and Two of Us.
Now I like Two of Us, and I regard Let It Be as the underrated album of the last three. But yes, I wanted OBLADI to win.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
20 Jan 2021, 7:48pm
Now I like Two of Us, and I regard Let It Be as the underrated album of the last three. But yes, I wanted OBLADI to win.
The latter was super predictable. :cool: (I actually don't dislike Ob-La-Di; I don't think I dislike any Paul song on the White Album, including Rocky Racoon or Honey Pie).

I lean to the conventional view of Get Back/Let It Be—a sour atmosphere produced mostly sour music (Get Back, Don't Let Me Down, Two of Us, and Let It Be—I'm a sucker for the sentiment—are solid, but the rest is uninspired). But I'm open-minded to having Peter Jackson's upcoming movie change my mind.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jan 2021, 8:08pm
Heston wrote:
The latter was super predictable. :cool: (I actually don't dislike Ob-La-Di; I don't think I dislike any Paul song on the White Album, including Rocky Racoon or Honey Pie).

I lean to the conventional view of Get Back/Let It Be—a sour atmosphere produced mostly sour music (Get Back, Don't Let Me Down, Two of Us, and Let It Be—I'm a sucker for the sentiment—are solid, but the rest is uninspired). But I'm open-minded to having Peter Jackson's upcoming movie change my mind.
You see, I get the sour atmosphere vibe from the White Album. Jaded men, grumpy with fame, doing solo projects and compiling them as a band project. I personally don't hear Let It Be as sour sounding. Strip away the alleged bias of the original movie and the songs just sound like a band having a long overdue rock out, and enjoying it. The White album sounds palpably miserable.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Anyway, shall I copy and paste this into the Beatles thread? :shifty:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
20 Jan 2021, 8:22pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

You see, I get the sour atmosphere vibe from the White Album. Jaded men, grumpy with fame, doing solo projects and compiling them as a band project. I personally don't hear Let It Be as sour sounding. Strip away the alleged bias of the original movie and the songs just sound like a band having a long overdue rock out, and enjoying it. The White album sounds palpably miserable.
The White Album, to me, is too varied for easy assessment. There's goofy fun, there's some aggression, there's a desire for calm, there's regret, there's hope. It isn't the old Beatles optimism, that's true, but circumstances amongst the band and the world around them precluded it. Devin McKinney has argued that The White Album, not Pepper, was their zeitgeist record—pulling from all directions, just like youth culture in 1968. Disliking the White Album requires wanting them to be frozen in amber, to keep them the way it used to be. Instead, they offer a whole lot of choose your own adventure. The Get Back stuff lacks that possibility. It's backwards looking but omits the happiness of the Beatles' past. It's a credit to their ability that it's as good as it is.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
20 Jan 2021, 8:33pm
Anyway, shall I copy and paste this into the Beatles thread? :shifty:
Ha! My guess is that Wolter has taken over my role of wanting to drown you and Tom (maybe Marky :shifty:), so, sure, do it for Jon. :cool:

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jan 2021, 8:34pm
Heston wrote:
20 Jan 2021, 8:22pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

The White Album, to me, is too varied for easy assessment. There's goofy fun, there's some aggression, there's a desire for calm, there's regret, there's hope. It isn't the old Beatles optimism, that's true, but circumstances amongst the band and the world around them precluded it. Devin McKinney has argued that The White Album, not Pepper, was their zeitgeist record—pulling from all directions, just like youth culture in 1968. Disliking the White Album requires wanting them to be frozen in amber, to keep them the way it used to be. Instead, they offer a whole lot of choose your own adventure. The Get Back stuff lacks that possibility. It's backwards looking but omits the happiness of the Beatles' past. It's a credit to their ability that it's as good as it is.
The goofy fun on the White Album sounds forced to me, like a rictus grin.