What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Flex »

gkbill wrote:
04 Jun 2022, 2:10pm
Hello,

The Flaming Stars - Bring Me the Rest of Alfredo Garcia. Pretty good Lou Reed-ish garage rock.

youtube.com/watch?v=J0lfei9wYwA
I've been a big proponent of the flaming stars, and this song particularly, for years. Killer tune, underrated band.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

:cool:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jun 2022, 12:06pm

:cool:
Splendid.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Rediscovered this yesterday and am playing it for the fourth time now. Graham and Matt from Wire and Thighpaulsandra from Coil, plus a drummer I don't know. So, so damned good. Mostly instrumental, noisy and groovy (almost jazzlike), sometimes ready to fall apart completely but it always stays humming. Easily better than any Wire record the past couple decades, Send and Change Becomes us excepted.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 11:18am
Rediscovered this yesterday and am playing it for the fourth time now. Graham and Matt from Wire and Thighpaulsandra from Coil, plus a drummer I don't know. So, so damned good. Mostly instrumental, noisy and groovy (almost jazzlike), sometimes ready to fall apart completely but it always stays humming. Easily better than any Wire record the past couple decades, Send and Change Becomes us excepted.
Checking this out now.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 3:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Checking this out now.
I'm surprised you haven't heard it yet. If you haven't done so, also check out Fitted, the album Graham and Matt did with Mike Watt. Also better than Wire since CBU.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 3:17pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Checking this out now.
I'm surprised you haven't heard it yet. If you haven't done so, also check out Fitted, the album Graham and Matt did with Mike Watt. Also better than Wire since CBU.
Has Graham forsaken Bruce as a partner?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 3:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Checking this out now.
I thought several years ago they said a Dome record was forthcoming, but nope, nothing's emerged. The last thing Bruce did was about five years ago, too. Maybe he's retired? Bruce's participation in the Wire documentary suggests they're all on reasonably good terms, but who knows.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 3:22pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Checking this out now.
I thought several years ago they said a Dome record was forthcoming, but nope, nothing's emerged. The last thing Bruce did was about five years ago, too. Maybe he's retired? Bruce's participation in the Wire documentary suggests they're all on reasonably good terms, but who knows.
Speaking of Coil, have you read this book? I don't know a lot about the bands covered, but I'm curious about them:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 3:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 3:22pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Checking this out now.
Speaking of Coil, have you read this book? I don't know a lot about the bands covered, but I'm curious about them:

No, I've never heard of it, but I'm intrigued now (tho bands like Coil and Throbbing Gristle always seem better to me in print than on record; I'm always mildly disappointed/bored when I do play them). But thanks!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I just got hip to this band called Automatic and their new album Excess. It's very good. They are kind of like a cross between Joy Division and Patty Donahue.

Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 12:01pm
I just got hip to this band called Automatic and their new album Excess. It's very good. They are kind of like a cross between Joy Division and Patty Donahue.

Very cool, a rare example of a quality band with a lame name.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 12:15pm
JennyB wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 12:01pm

Very cool, a rare example of a quality band with a lame name.
I know. I hate that.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I picked up on this band a while back and have been plaaning to add them to a buch of 3s. Great energy.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Prompted by Jen's recommendation of Automatic, I'm listening to their first album, Signal. Very, very cool. Working from Suicide's playbook, but with subdued vocals. Great shit, folks.

edit: And definitely Joy Division in there. This could have been unearthed from 1981.