What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 Mar 2023, 8:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Mar 2023, 7:36pm
Idlewild, 100 Broken Windows. I bang the drum every so often about this being the best album you assholes have never heard and apparently I'm doing it again tonight. Well, it's true. Their best album hands down, still in the noisy punks camp than the more refined indie band they'd become, but with a better sense of what they were doing than on their first record. It's the first album of theirs I heard and I still get flashes of my reaction that, holy fuck, these guys are excellent. Anyway, you should listen to this instead of KISS or Steely Dan.
You say all of this but we all know who you would rather be listening to.

http://www.clashcity.com/boards/downloa ... p?id=11064
A more horrible example of humanity can scarcely be imagined. :naughty:
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Idlewild is well worth your time - even if you're rich. You all should listen to more Idlewild - punk enough but also enough new wave/traditional rock-ish.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Listening/watching the new Dance Craze reissue bluray/dvd package. Great memories.

But tinged with sadness as 101 Walterton would've loved this. Plus a few other old pals who were there and are now gone. So I'm raising a glass to you all. It's later than you think.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Just Mustard, Heart Under. I think I still prefer their first record, but I am a total fan of their slow-moving, dark noise, more a descendent of no wave than post-punk (which is to say, New York rather than the UK). The whole thing is an exercise in odd sounds presented as the soundtrack to wandering around a haunted house. Also a good record to drink by yourself to.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

You know, Carl really does have a tasty little vocal bit on...
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

Hoy's inspired me to reconnect with more Beach Boys albums. This one's one of my favorites. Really is the perfect "surf and sun" Beach Boys album, imho. Some of their monster classics are here, and the deeper cuts are pretty much all real good. In the vein of "the individual imperfections make the whole stronger" Carl's slight but charming instrumental number and the Our Favorite Recording Sessions studio chatter tracks provide a great feel for the band at the time they were recording this. I think this is the LP where the Beach Boys could really start claiming to be an "album band."

Addendum: my favorite of the early album covers, too.

Addendum II: I think I'd resequence the second side of the album tho. I like Don't Back Down, but it's a weird closer, especially after the audio vérité of Sessions. I'd probably go: Do You Remember? -> Don't Back Down -> Girls on the Beach -> Drive-In -> Our Favorite Recording Sessions -> Wendy. Closing with Wendy would be great and it's a much better song to bring the listener out of Sessions, imho. Don't Back Down is just a little too slight.

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 6:42pm

Hoy's inspired me to reconnect with more Beach Boys albums. This one's one of my favorites. Really is the perfect "surf and sun" Beach Boys album, imho. Some of their monster classics are here, and the deeper cuts are pretty much all real good. In the vein of "the individual imperfections make the whole stronger" Carl's slight but charming instrumental number and the Our Favorite Recording Sessions studio chatter tracks provide a great feel for the band at the time they were recording this. I think this is the LP where the Beach Boys could really start claiming to be an "album band."

Addendum: my favorite of the early album covers, too.

Addendum II: I think I'd resequence the second side of the album tho. I like Don't Back Down, but it's a weird closer, especially after the audio vérité of Sessions. I'd probably go: Do You Remember? -> Don't Back Down -> Girls on the Beach -> Drive-In -> Our Favorite Recording Sessions -> Wendy. Closing with Wendy would be great and it's a much better song to bring the listener out of Sessions, imho. Don't Back Down is just a little too slight.
By choice? So many options...

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 5:27pm
Just Mustard, Heart Under. I think I still prefer their first record, but I am a total fan of their slow-moving, dark noise, more a descendent of no wave than post-punk (which is to say, New York rather than the UK). The whole thing is an exercise in odd sounds presented as the soundtrack to wandering around a haunted house. Also a good record to drink by yourself to.
Hello,

I haven't heard of these guys before (I operationally define humans as guys). I don't think they're no wave as both the rhythm and vocals are pretty conformist - rather than not atonal (for vocals) or off-kilter (for rhythm). I didn't listen to much admittedly as I'm watching USA-Mexico.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 10:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 5:27pm
Hello,

I haven't heard of these guys before (I operationally define humans as guys). I don't think they're no wave as both the rhythm and vocals are pretty conformist - rather than not atonal (for vocals) or off-kilter (for rhythm). I didn't listen to much admittedly as I'm watching USA-Mexico.
Well, I did say no wave descendent, in the same way that Sonic Youth, Swans, Live Skull, or Utt were descendent of the no wave scene. They take their aesthetic cues more from New York than London, so to speak.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Spotted a link for this on Facebook. Of what I have heard so far this is pretty good.

Released On: 14 Apr 2023Available for 24 days
He's a bona fide legend, a member of The Clash, Gorillaz and The Good, The Bad and The Queen, ahead of Record Store Day next week, Nabihah Iqbal is joined by Paul Simonon for an exclusive hour-long vinyl-only back-to-back DJ set.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001k ... PHSJ3jUWJM

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Big Paul Ferguson, Virtual Control. Once in a blue moon, when the drummer says he has his own songs that he wants to do, it's not a reason to snicker. None of this is that far off from Killing Joke, in some respects more varied than KJ. Anyway, good stuff.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Apr 2023, 6:10pm
Big Paul Ferguson, Virtual Control. Once in a blue moon, when the drummer says he has his own songs that he wants to do, it's not a reason to snicker. None of this is that far off from Killing Joke, in some respects more varied than KJ. Anyway, good stuff.
"Essentially a Ringo Starr album" - doc, if I'm reading this right

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
21 Apr 2023, 7:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Well, that's cheating. I *think* everything sounds like a Ringo Starr album. One day the medical community is going to recognize and name this affliction!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Apr 2023, 7:34pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Well, that's cheating. I *think* everything sounds like a Ringo Starr album. One day the medical community is going to recognize and name this affliction!
Goodnight Vienna Syndrome.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Apr 2023, 3:09am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Apr 2023, 7:34pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Goodnight Vienna Syndrome.
Ha! That works!