What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Marky Dread »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 5:52pm
Kory wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 3:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 1:56pm
Oh shit, The Yeah Yeah Yeahs were another fantastic band from that period.
Oh yeah I forgot about them. I liked the first Bloc Party album, but they lost it after that.I still keep up with Interpol, they keep me interested enough.
I rate the first four Interpol records quite highly. Once they lost Carlos that band kind of just became super meh for me. His bass lines were integral to how great that band was.
"Turn On the Bright Lights" was solid but then the same old thing. Maybe I'm too harsh on these bands. But when you've grown up with Joy Division/The Chameleons/The Sound etc it's all a bit sub par by comparison.

I prefer to hear an old band do what they do well than a new band imitate and not hit the highs.

The Futureheads and We Are Scientists were good for a while and Radio 4 for their first album.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Oh yeah I forgot about them. I liked the first Bloc Party album, but they lost it after that.I still keep up with Interpol, they keep me interested enough.
I rate the first four Interpol records quite highly. Once they lost Carlos that band kind of just became super meh for me. His bass lines were integral to how great that band was.
I definitely don't think "bass" when I think Interpol.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Not sure if they count within the whole post-punk revival scene, but The Rapture's first couple records are superb. Echoes is still fresh as fuck.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Kory wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 6:49pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I definitely don't think "bass" when I think Interpol.
For me it's all about that rhythm section. Him and Sam Forgarino were a fucking powerhouse duo. Paul banks is a good singer but some really godawful cringe lyrics ngl.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 6:27pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
"Turn On the Bright Lights" was solid but then the same old thing. Maybe I'm too harsh on these bands. But when you've grown up with Joy Division/The Chameleons/The Sound etc it's all a bit sub par by comparison.

I prefer to hear an old band do what they do well than a new band imitate and not hit the highs.

The Futureheads and We Are Scientists were good for a while and Radio 4 for their first album.
What do you think about Maximo Park? I rate the debut quite highly. It's post punk but with a really strong emphasis on big power pop hooks.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hello,

For the Futureheads, the first album was well worth the time. We Are Scientists had a really good first album. I'm probably more patient with Radio 4 although they lost focus badly by Stealing of a Nation - no longer creating a sound but conforming to a sound. I enjoyed them through the Electrify EP/remixes thing. I might add These New Puritans to this group - first album pretty good - after that, a bit disappointing.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 11:26pm
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hello,

For the Futureheads, the first album was well worth the time. We Are Scientists had a really good first album. I'm probably more patient with Radio 4 although they lost focus badly by Stealing of a Nation - no longer creating a sound but conforming to a sound. I enjoyed them through the Electrify EP/remixes thing. I might add These New Puritans to this group - first album pretty good - after that, a bit disappointing.
Ahh someone I haven't heard. I'll check them out.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
I might add These New Puritans to this group - first album pretty good - after that, a bit disappointing.
Entirely agree. First album was fierce, but the group has a wanderlust and each album after has gone in different directions, none of which have especially enthused.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Marky, what would you recommend from the Chameleons please? A band who have intended to listen to, but have never really got round to it.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
07 Aug 2021, 7:43am
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Marky, what would you recommend from the Chameleons please? A band who have intended to listen to, but have never really got round to it.
All the albums are good. But my fave by a close shave is "What Does Anything Mean? Basically".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Aug 2021, 10:23am
laxman wrote:
07 Aug 2021, 7:43am
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Kory wrote:

All the albums are good. But my fave by a close shave is "What Does Anything Mean? Basically".
Thank you.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Aug 2021, 6:20am
gkbill wrote:
I might add These New Puritans to this group - first album pretty good - after that, a bit disappointing.
Entirely agree. First album was fierce, but the group has a wanderlust and each album after has gone in different directions, none of which have especially enthused.
Hello,

This is what I like:

It's totally off-topic but congrats to Canada for winning the gold in Tokyo. I was very happy to see Christine SInclair win gold. She's been a great player for Canada for so long and never had the top step on a podium since college. I've always thought she was a great player since I coached against her when she was in college at Portland.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
07 Aug 2021, 11:23am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Aug 2021, 6:20am
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

This is what I like:
Inder introduced me to that. Smashing song. One of the top ten, maybe five, singles of the '00s for me.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

FAIM. Kickass female-fronted politically-minded hardcore band outta Denver I haven't been able to get enough of lately. Here's a good track:

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Brighton Port Authority - I Think We're Gonna Need a Bigger Boat. This is generally catchy stuff - good pop. I appreciate the nod to Nick Lowe but I could do without the So It Goes cover. This is an odd video but the song is really good.