What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 1:22pm
Kory wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 1:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 12:51pm
Really didn't like this when it came out, but I'm giving it another chance. I'm upgrading my view to "don't hate it."
It's not bad. How do you rate the two albums after Mask?
I quite like Burning From the Inside—wonderfully moody and varied. And "The Sanity Assassin," a single from that time, is one of my favourite Bauhaus songs. The Sky's Gone Out has a couple good ones but mostly feels like scrapings.
It's funny that Burning is the easier one to listen to even though it's the one they did without Peter while he was in the hospital.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 1:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Really didn't like this when it came out, but I'm giving it another chance. I'm upgrading my view to "don't hate it."
I quite like Burning From the Inside—wonderfully moody and varied. And "The Sanity Assassin," a single from that time, is one of my favourite Bauhaus songs. The Sky's Gone Out has a couple good ones but mostly feels like scrapings.
It's funny that Burning is the easier one to listen to even though it's the one they did without Peter while he was in the hospital.
The years have born out the others' claim that PM is an immense ass. Still dig the hell out of his album Love Hysteria.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 1:41pm
Kory wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 1:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The years have born out the others' claim that PM is an immense ass. Still dig the hell out of his album Love Hysteria.
Just saw a headline that he had a heart attack last night.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 6:09pm
Just saw a headline that he had a heart attack last night.
Holy crud. Fingers crossed for the arse.

Also, I'm currently listening to Love Hysteria right now. The Boss, who knows not a lot about music, came in and said it sounds like an 80s record. Well, yes, it certainly does.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

BitterTom wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 4:30pm
This is power.
Agreed, great album.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 12:34pm
Kory wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 12:31pm
I once did a percentage of the Wailers' "nice" tunes to their political ones and the nice ones lost by a pretty wide margin. I've always been annoyed with how Legend marketed him/them.
Marley is pretty similar in discographical content to the Clash, imho. It'd be like if there was a greatest hits for the clash that showcased mostly 1-2 crush on you and lover's rock and sidestepped, like, guns of brixton and stuff and that's how everyone remembered them.
Well from a marketing standpoint its much easier to promote the vanilla stuff. Its so inoffensive, which is largely my view of a lot of "new wave". De-claw it and more people can enjoy it and more money can be made.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Such a great album. File with Go For It, The Crack and Valley of the Dolls as second-tier punk bands making great straight-ahead guitar rock albums.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Cross posted from twitter.
Screenshot_20190815-194845.jpg
What a brilliantly ill conceived cover for a solo album by a great singer. It looks like one of those cassettes my Dad would buy in a service station and play in whatever car he'd bought for £200 in a pub that week.There would be a song about how much the fella missed his dead mother, a song about a fight in a tavern, why the Irish were great in bed, and a cheery novelty song about a dancing farmyard animal being exploited by a grifter.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

IkarisOne wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 2:48pm
Such a great album. File with Go For It, The Crack and Valley of the Dolls as second-tier punk bands making great straight-ahead guitar rock albums.

My mate's favourite album. It is rather catchy and very good.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 2:54pm
Cross posted from twitter. Screenshot_20190815-194845.jpg

What a brilliantly ill conceived cover for a solo album by a great singer. It looks like one of those cassettes my Dad would buy in a service station and play in whatever car he'd bought for £200 in a pub that week.There would be a song about how much the fella missed his dead mother, a song about a fight in a tavern, why the Irish were great in bed, and a cheery novelty song about a dancing farmyard animal being exploited by a grifter.
Burns always has, and always will be, drastically uncool. He even plays some shit lime green guitar with a Daffy Duck sticker on. I suppose it's good that SLF made it on purely musical terms without any real image to speak of.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 3:14pm
IkarisOne wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 2:48pm

My mate's favourite album. It is rather catchy and very good.
Agreed good record.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 3:21pm
Silent Majority wrote:

Burns always has, and always will be, drastically uncool. He even plays some shit lime green guitar with a Daffy Duck sticker on. I suppose it's good that SLF made it on purely musical terms without any real image to speak of.
I used to have a Yamaha SG2000 the same as Jake played on Go For It. That guitar was great.

That ESP EII that Jake plays nowadays made in Tokyo ain't cheap but I agree it does look shite.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 3:49pm
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

I used to have a Yamaha SG2000 the same as Jake played on Go For It. That guitar was great.

That ESP EII that Jake plays nowadays made in Tokyo ain't cheap but I agree it does look shite.
Yeah, those SG2000s were great, had a similar model about 20 years ago.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

Fair comment. Inflammable Material was like the cavalry coming over the hill just when you thought the battle was all over.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marnie Stern, This Is It & I Am It …. God, she is such a shit-hot guitarist, and I say this as someone who generally doesn't give a fuck about individual skills and all that. All of her albums are fucking captured electricity.