What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Marky Dread »

BitterTom wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 2:33am
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 6:37pm
Again I'm not a Phil Collins fan but that doesn't mean I dismiss everything he has done in his career completely out of hand because he isn't considered cool.
Any of his songs you've got a slight liking for? Or a better way of phrasing, what's your least disliked song of his?
I like some Genesis stuff. Follow You, Follow Me/Turn it On Again/Abacab. Solo I don't mind his track with Philip Bailey Easy Lover/Can't Hurry Love.

I much prefer Peter Gabriel all day long.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

revbob wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 9:06pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Again I'm not a Phil Collins fan but that doesn't mean I dismiss everything he has done in his career completely out of hand because he isn't considered cool.
I dismiss everything he's done because its all awful and he sucks, not because he's not cool.
Because youve heard everythjng hes done tho' right. I couldn't possibly dismiss everything he's done and just call it awful. I admit there's a damn good chance it won't be to my liking and I would understand if you've never liked anything you've heard by him. But he is a decent drummer and I do like a couple of tracks he's been involved with. Not much considering how long he's been around but there you have it.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 3:44am
revbob wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
I dismiss everything he's done because its all awful and he sucks, not because he's not cool.
Because youve heard everythjng hes done tho' right. I couldn't possibly dismiss everything he's done and just call it awful. I admit there's a damn good chance it won't be to my liking and I would understand if you've never liked anything you've heard by him. But he is a decent drummer and I do like a couple of tracks he's been involved with. Not much considering how long he's been around but there you have it.
I'm not a masochist. It's more of an scientifically informed decision based upon the music of his that I have heard (solo and Genesis). I feel I've heard enough that I absolutely can't stand that there would be little to no return on my hearing the rest of his catalog. But as always I'm cool with people liking what they like.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

revbob wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 7:29am
Marky Dread wrote:
revbob wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
I'm not a masochist. It's more of an scientifically informed decision based upon the music of his that I have heard (solo and Genesis). I feel I've heard enough that I absolutely can't stand that there would be little to no return on my hearing the rest of his catalog. But as always I'm cool with people liking what they like.
Ha I was only teasing mate. I know your tastes and appreciate them.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 1:08pm
revbob wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 7:29am
Marky Dread wrote:
revbob wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Ha I was only teasing mate. I know your tastes and appreciate them.
Yeah I'm a prickily bastard at times. I wonder if there's been any studies done on people's musical tastes likes/dislikes. I'd submit to being in such a study

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

R-190216-1400793245-7361.jpeg.jpg
R-190216-1400793245-7361.jpeg.jpg (77.94 KiB) Viewed 2140 times
It's been awhile since I've spun this - but wow - a really solid album. Edgy, detached, icy - yet full of hooks. It also holds up well. It sounds like something that could have been released last week.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Synth pop not dissimilar to Depeche Mode with a trained opera singer. In some cases her style and range expands basic synth music into something compelling; other times it's too jarring.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

WestwayKid wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 2:47pm

It's been awhile since I've spun this - but wow - a really solid album. Edgy, detached, icy - yet full of hooks. It also holds up well. It sounds like something that could have been released last week.
The most amazing thing about the Cars is how they are a perfect example of diminishing returns. Every original lineup Cars album is less than its predecessor. The debut is top notch. Candy-O is still great. Then it continues this way until the cliff drop of Heartbeat City and lord knows what that next one was called but it was unlistenable.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 6:02pm
Those first two Joe Jackson albums feek like one album but very good all the same.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Wolter wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 5:15pm
WestwayKid wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 2:47pm

The most amazing thing about the Cars is how they are a perfect example of diminishing returns. Every original lineup Cars album is less than its predecessor. The debut is top notch. Candy-O is still great. Then it continues this way until the cliff drop of Heartbeat City and lord knows what that next one was called but it was unlistenable.
That's a good point. It felt like they were chasing something the wrong way. Door to Door is the final LP with Benjamin Orr (rhymes, doesn't it ;) ) and yeah - it's not a good listen at all - dry and clinical. Their reunion album from a few years back was not terrible - but it wasn't anything new.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

1960s Nashville pop.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Writing a lecture on music scenes (rise/fall, politics) and doing a section of DC hardcore, so I've been drawn to the bands I've been reading about.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 5:19pm
Writing a lecture on music scenes (rise/fall, politics) and doing a section of DC hardcore, so I've been drawn to the bands I've been reading about.
I used to listen to this a LOT in college. It's probably been 20 years since I've listened. I should rectify that.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 10:18am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 5:19pm
I used to listen to this a LOT in college. It's probably been 20 years since I've listened. I should rectify that.
I've really liked them. I respect those DC bands far more than I enjoy listening to them, but the stuff from the latter half of the decades captures my attention well.