What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
16 Feb 2020, 8:21pm
BitterTom wrote:
16 Feb 2020, 3:43pm
revbob wrote:
16 Feb 2020, 11:24am
BitterTom wrote:
15 Feb 2020, 6:00pm
Love this immensely.
Now you're talking. Whole album or just that song?
Only know of this one to he honest, got any recommendations?
The whole album is pretty fucking good. Due to various circumstances the Misfits have different albums with some of the same songs spread across them. "Walk Among Us" is a great one as are the various posthumous collections like Misfits. You don't want anything to do with Famous Monsters, Project 150 or Devil's Rain, those all feature an inferior product (singer). Basically if Glen Danzig isn't the vocalist you don't want it, like Dead Kennedys without Jello Biafra on vocals, just a covers band.
I thought American Psycho was fairly decent and catchy. I wouldn't call it Misfits, but it's a fun listen. But I agree that anything after that can be skipped.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 2:35pm
revbob wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
revbob wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Love this immensely.
The whole album is pretty fucking good. Due to various circumstances the Misfits have different albums with some of the same songs spread across them. "Walk Among Us" is a great one as are the various posthumous collections like Misfits. You don't want anything to do with Famous Monsters, Project 150 or Devil's Rain, those all feature an inferior product (singer). Basically if Glen Danzig isn't the vocalist you don't want it, like Dead Kennedys without Jello Biafra on vocals, just a covers band.
I thought American Psycho was fairly decent and catchy. I wouldn't call it Misfits, but it's a fun listen. But I agree that anything after that can be skipped.
Fair enough. A vocalist puts such a stamp on a band and Im generally not a big fan of band names carrying on after key personnel are no longer in the band. I understand why it happens though.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

revbob wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
revbob wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Love this immensely.
Will get it on the headphones now while Alex watches Shit Island.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

revbob wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
revbob wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Love this immensely.
Not a bad album at all. Still place Hybrid Moments at number one but there were some good uns there, especially liked Last Caress. Will check out Walk Among Us over the next few days.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I'm a relatively big booster of post-danzig misfits, but get in this order: walk among us, static age (the stand alone release), the coffin box (which contains all other tracks of major importance to danzig era misfits - the 4th disc is static age but it's from an inferior tape with fewer tracks than the stand alone version released a year later). Once you fall in love with all that, you can start testing the waters with post-danzig misfits and decide what your own tolerance is (if any). But the three releases I mention are some of the most essential punk rock of all time.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BitterTom wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 5:52pm
revbob wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
revbob wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Love this immensely.
Not a bad album at all. Still place Hybrid Moments at number one but there were some good uns there, especially liked Last Caress. Will check out Walk Among Us over the next few days.
You can also find the album 12 Hits from Hell on the internet. It never got a proper release but it served as the basis for Walk Among Us.

And I should probably be more open to trying the post Danzig era Misfits but Graves is suck a dick.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 6:34pm
Kory wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 6:28pm
Today I'm listening to Refused, At the Drive-In, and (International) Noise Conspiracy, and none of them are really interesting me that much. Time to check out Frodus again.
Poliça has a new one out. Listened to it (albeit semi-distractedly) and it sounded decent to me.
Finally had a listen. I really like how downtempo it is. Would be a great note to go out on, if that's what they decide (though I hope they don't).

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 8:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Today I'm listening to Refused, At the Drive-In, and (International) Noise Conspiracy, and none of them are really interesting me that much. Time to check out Frodus again.
Poliça has a new one out. Listened to it (albeit semi-distractedly) and it sounded decent to me.
Finally had a listen. I really like how downtempo it is. Would be a great note to go out on, if that's what they decide (though I hope they don't).
They're not a spectacular wow group, but consistently good.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 8:50pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Would you consider somebody like Portishead to be a wow group, or does the electronic downtempo chanteuse thing not grab you in that way?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 9:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 8:50pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Would you consider somebody like Portishead to be a wow group, or does the electronic downtempo chanteuse thing not grab you in that way?
Hmm, I probably would elevate Portishead to spectacular level, but much of that is the pioneer or popularizer status in that.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Earlier talk of Green Day got me going back to their early stuff. Has to be said, Dookie, Insomniac and Nimrod were great albums.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Let's play this for Graeme Garden's birthday. Enjoy a plethora of second-hand embarrassment.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

BitterTom wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 5:45pm
Earlier talk of Green Day got me going back to their early stuff. Has to be said, Dookie, Insomniac and Nimrod were great albums.
I like Dookie, but Insomniac knocks my socks off. It's so aggressive and dark, but full of energy at the same time. Excellent album.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 6:29pm
Let's play this for Graeme Garden's birthday. Enjoy a plethora of second-hand embarrassment.

I loved this song as a kid and can still recite it off by heart. The Goodies on the tv was a major event every week in my house, all the kids in my area disappeared off the streets and ran home to watch it.

I watched an episode a few years back and it was absolutely awful.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 6:51pm
I'm a relatively big booster of post-danzig misfits, but get in this order: walk among us, static age (the stand alone release), the coffin box (which contains all other tracks of major importance to danzig era misfits - the 4th disc is static age but it's from an inferior tape with fewer tracks than the stand alone version released a year later). Once you fall in love with all that, you can start testing the waters with post-danzig misfits and decide what your own tolerance is (if any). But the three releases I mention are some of the most essential punk rock of all time.
Does the box miss any tracks from Earth AD?