Page 1086 of 1088

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Posted: 13 Aug 2019, 4:21pm
by BitterTom
Heston wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 5:19pm
BitterTom wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 4:31pm
Any Paul Young recommendations anyone?
Yes, don't listen to him.
I thought wrong again that you'd be on side here.

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Posted: 13 Aug 2019, 4:30pm
by BitterTom
This is power.

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Posted: 13 Aug 2019, 4:42pm
by Heston
BitterTom wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 4:30pm
This is power.
Can't argue with that. A lot of people dislike the Rats because of Bob but they were a great band. I love the way this song goes down loads of different alleys and the production from Mutt Lange is brilliant.

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Posted: 13 Aug 2019, 4:48pm
by Heston
This is one of my favourite Rats songs but was released when their star was on the wane and flopped. Proper big sound and great harmonies which I love...


Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Posted: 13 Aug 2019, 4:51pm
by BitterTom
Heston wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 4:42pm
BitterTom wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 4:30pm
This is power.
Can't argue with that. A lot of people dislike the Rats because of Bob but they were a great band. I love the way this song goes down loads of different alleys and the production from Mutt Lange is brilliant.
Yeah I've always enjoyed this one and agree its structure is brilliant. Never knew Mutt produced it however, did some stellar work on AC/DCs top 3 albums.

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Posted: 13 Aug 2019, 6:22pm
by Dr. Medulla
Image
No Joy, Wait to Pleasure. Solid shoegaze from a predominantly lady-led Montreal band. Wonderful waves of noise obliterating everything in front of it.

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Posted: 14 Aug 2019, 11:27am
by Flex
Bob Marley & The Wailers - Rebel Music (1986)
Image

Been quite a while since I really listened to any Bob Marley, and I'd forgotten how good this compilation is. Intended as a companion to Legend, this collects a lot of Marley's most political and incendiary tunes. Quite a contrast to the other comp, and a good reminder how thrilling Bob and his music could be.

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Posted: 14 Aug 2019, 12:29pm
by JennyB
Flex wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 11:27am
Bob Marley & The Wailers - Rebel Music (1986)
Image

Been quite a while since I really listened to any Bob Marley, and I'd forgotten how good this compilation is. Intended as a companion to Legend, this collects a lot of Marley's most political and incendiary tunes. Quite a contrast to the other comp, and a good reminder how thrilling Bob and his music could be.
It really sucks that frat boys have kind of ruined Bob. He didn't deserve that.

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Posted: 14 Aug 2019, 12:30pm
by revbob
JennyB wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 12:29pm
Flex wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 11:27am
Bob Marley & The Wailers - Rebel Music (1986)
Image

Been quite a while since I really listened to any Bob Marley, and I'd forgotten how good this compilation is. Intended as a companion to Legend, this collects a lot of Marley's most political and incendiary tunes. Quite a contrast to the other comp, and a good reminder how thrilling Bob and his music could be.
It really sucks that frat boys have kind of ruined Bob. He didn't deserve that.
Yeah this is so true and reggae music in general.

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Posted: 14 Aug 2019, 12:31pm
by Kory
Flex wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 11:27am
Bob Marley & The Wailers - Rebel Music (1986)
Image

Been quite a while since I really listened to any Bob Marley, and I'd forgotten how good this compilation is. Intended as a companion to Legend, this collects a lot of Marley's most political and incendiary tunes. Quite a contrast to the other comp, and a good reminder how thrilling Bob and his music could be.
I once did a percentage of the Wailers' "nice" tunes to their political ones and the nice ones lost by a pretty wide margin. I've always been annoyed with how Legend marketed him/them.

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Posted: 14 Aug 2019, 12:34pm
by Flex
Kory wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 12:31pm
I once did a percentage of the Wailers' "nice" tunes to their political ones and the nice ones lost by a pretty wide margin. I've always been annoyed with how Legend marketed him/them.
Marley is pretty similar in discographical content to the Clash, imho. It'd be like if there was a greatest hits for the clash that showcased mostly 1-2 crush on you and lover's rock and sidestepped, like, guns of brixton and stuff and that's how everyone remembered them.

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Posted: 14 Aug 2019, 12:34pm
by Marky Dread
Heston wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 4:48pm
This is one of my favourite Rats songs but was released when their star was on the wane and flopped. Proper big sound and great harmonies which I love...

I love the Rats. Fuck all the punk purists and haters. Drag Me Down is brilliant.

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Posted: 14 Aug 2019, 12:51pm
by Dr. Medulla
Image
Really didn't like this when it came out, but I'm giving it another chance. I'm upgrading my view to "don't hate it."

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Posted: 14 Aug 2019, 1:04pm
by Kory
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 12:51pm
Image
Really didn't like this when it came out, but I'm giving it another chance. I'm upgrading my view to "don't hate it."
It's not bad. How do you rate the two albums after Mask?

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Posted: 14 Aug 2019, 1:22pm
by Dr. Medulla
Kory wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 1:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 12:51pm
Image
Really didn't like this when it came out, but I'm giving it another chance. I'm upgrading my view to "don't hate it."
It's not bad. How do you rate the two albums after Mask?
I quite like Burning From the Inside—wonderfully moody and varied. And "The Sanity Assassin," a single from that time, is one of my favourite Bauhaus songs. The Sky's Gone Out has a couple good ones but mostly feels like scrapings.